2010 - Year of Faith-based movies?

Discuss topics, questions, answers, etc. here!

Moderator: samw3

Exodus

2010 - Year of Faith-based movies?

Postby Exodus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm

So far we've seen the movie Legion and The Book of Eli being released in January alone. Both movies have been obviously inspired by some parts of the Bible and/or the Christian faith in general. Do you think this may be the beginning of a new movie trend in Hollywood? Do you think these 'loosely-based adaptations' are doing more harm than good for Christians?

The movie Legion, for example is an action-horror which depicts God having losing faith in mankind and sending his legions of angels down to destroy them, however, this movie depicts mankind (along with Archangel Michael) battling God and his angels and winning. IMO, I think this movie sends out the wrong message which says that 'God is weak and uncaring' and 'Man can defeat God.' This movie was definitely far from what I expected after I've done some research on it, and my motivation to see this really left me.

I'm planning to see Book of Eli tomorrow, but a friend told me that it looked as if they were trying to rewrite the entire New Testament with this movie, so I'm not sure if it's on the same track as Legion, however, from what I've seen and read, it looks to be retelling the tale (or creating an adaptation) of Elijah the Prophet.

In a way, I do like the fact that Hollywood is making movies based on the Christian faith, however, what I don't like is the way they are twisting the truth around. Now, "What-if" movies might be good (like satire or something completely unrelated to our world), but taking something so extreme and obvious (such as making our God the enemy) just may not be the way to go.
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18 [/size]
PFC

Re: 2010 - Year of Faith-based movies?

Postby PFC » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 am

In a way I see this as being a good opportunity for christians to clarify and explain the difference between fairy tales and what we truly beleive.

Of course, this can cause allot of damage if people start believing what hollywood says, but if someone is ignorant enough(i'd say stupid but that would be a bit of a strong word) to beleive such stories, then hollywood can't do any more damage as they would already beleive weird stories.

I'm not against there being movies with religious themes, even if they are anti-God.
I find allot of people seem to come to christians saying "so, what did you think about this movie that paints your God as being this evil dude who is weak and humans that rise above his oppression?" while almost expecting you to correct it.
People are scared of the idea of there being a God, but I find they are also more scared of there being a non-caring and revengeful God.

In a way, I would not like it if hollywood did a seemingly biblical story simply because I know that it would be modified in bad ways and truly cause confusion.

What do others think?

EDIT:
I am not against christian movies, and God centered movies. What I meant to say is that I don't trust hollywood with such serious topics.
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

Perhaps there will be a time when the good fight is not about "which God is the real God" but about "what is the correct gospel" -- a world where Jesus is proved to all people to be the Way, and so they create their own twisted version of him to worship.

As more people claim Jesus as their savior but not as their Lord -- meaning that they believe they have eternal life through him but will not submit their lives to him -- then they will create a culture which reflects it. it will selectively borrow from scripture to create a worldview which their flesh desires.

(who knows, maybe they will make it into heaven in diapers -- a bunch of eternal infants sitting under a tree -- doubtful)

maybe 2010 will have more religious-themed movies, i don't know. but if a trend starts up which is evil, it makes the dark darker, but God always glorifies himself and his light on this earth (in us) gets brighter. so, maybe there will be some twisted psuedo-christian movies come out, but there will be a few which are very awesome. Let's hope so!
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43 pm

I saw Book of Eli today and WOW it was way better than I expected. I highly recommend everyone go see it. Yes, the movie has violent content and swearing, but the overall message it brings is something that more Hollywood faith-based movies should have. In summary, this man named Eli is doing whatever it takes to obey God. There are a lot of Biblical contexts in the movie, and it's something that both Christians and non-Christians would enjoy watching and learn from. They did a wonderful job with this movie, and I hope it becomes more popular than Legion. The morals that this movie speaks of is far more truthful than Legion. How far will we, as Christians go to obey God? After watching this movie, it really made me think about the true value of God's purpose in me.
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18 [/size]
RockinRickOwen

Postby RockinRickOwen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:34 am

Isn't the "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" coming out this year?
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will ye also go away?" Then Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God." John 6:67-69
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:12 am

I've never heard of that movie. What is it about?
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 am

Next in the Narnia series.

not just movies, Darksiders just came out and Dante's Inferno is coming out soon.
Q.E.D.
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:45 pm

I know this movie just came out today, but has anyone seen it yet? It's gotten some good reviews and among the most searched in the search engines.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810120859/details

From reading the description of the movie, it sounds very inspiring and something I may check out pretty soon.