Some Art of Mine

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

Lava

Re: Some Art of Mine

Postby Lava » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 am

The first 4 screens (with the trailer and blocks), are from unfinished levels. The next 3 screens of the 3D game were from a beta of a demo I was working on (a project I scrapped after releasing the small beta). The last screens are from a 2D demo I made.

I can't release the unfinished levels at this point. As for the beta, I would only feel comfortable releasing if I did some tweaking. And even then, I might absorb the levels into my newer project. However there is a good chance I'll re-release the 3 level demo I made of the 2D game.

Thanks for the feedback!

As for Gile. It is a program used mostly for light mapping (the screen with the multicolored blocks showcase this off the most). I also find it handy for world building (it just can't put in items). The program recently went freeware.
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Here's some of my latest work on the project:

ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:15 am

Love the look! Very N64 but better.
Q.E.D.
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks Arch!

So the N64 if it had CD's? Or with it's Disk-Drive add-on? Even Dreamcast quality is a compliment to me, haha.
Sparkworker
Location: Alcona, ON (Lindale Texas for end of 09/till august '10)

Postby Sparkworker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 pm

You have a lot of talent - keep it up! Your skill will definately be used, just keep submitting it to God!

I have a friend who put an idea about the creative process in me - Really, we are creations of God, and everything that's creative or original or unique, ultimately comes from Him! All we can do are cheap imitations, really - He's the best artist there is.

So, in our artwork, the best work, and the most useful work, comes from Him - I mean, look at the art in the reformation, and what our culture currently calls "art". I mean, starving dogs?

His idea was that we are a "Maker's Echo" - our artwork reflects Jesus. And what I've discovered as I design games for Him, and based off of what He shows me about Himself, they become tools to discover more of who He is - The art becomes less of a showing off thing, and more of a "how does this show who He is? If that's true - than what about this? Does this game design aspect fit? WOAH! It does! I never saw Him that way before!"

It's a pretty cool thing that I've been doing....

You have a lot of talent. Keep it up!
Lava

Postby Lava » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:39 am

Here is my latest work. It was traditionally animated, so most of it was hand drawn originally. The things that weren't done by hand were some of finishing touches (coloring, mistakes, reoccurring static objects etc) and the background. I may post some of the early prototypes.

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

That genuinely made me laugh Lava, nicely done.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Lava

Postby Lava » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks Mene! Glad you enjoyed it!
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 am

Here are the early prototypes I said I would post. This is to show the pencil work that had to be done to plan everything out (for just 15 seconds of animation) and maybe even so people can learn from it who want to do this sort of thing. I had many more tests than these, but I posted the most important ones and mentioned why they are important. In a sense, the amount of animation I put into making the final product was greater than the actual result, so I'd hate to have them unseen.

All of the animations below are animated gifs, but I gave only the direct links so their loading doesn't bog down the thread. At first they may be a bit choppy, but once it loads completely, things will smooth out.

Here was my first stab at the swing of the hammer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... st-try.gif

After a few tests and smoothing out the hammer's path, I came up with this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... proto8.gif

This is the sample when I finally had the course of the animation planned out. The 2nd part of it still needed to be animated, but I threw those in there more as a symbolic idea of what I had planned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... roto11.gif

These are the tests I did to add in that second swing. So by the 2nd sample I had figured out that having the hammer's perspective face the viewer made things look more convincing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... ample1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... ample2.gif

This was the 2nd test run with Rick's face actually drawn in:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... 2face1.gif

For the 3rd test, I made an early mockup as a milestone of my progress. The quality is not as good as the 2nd test because I was trying to see if a webcam could capture the pencil tests better. Evidently it did not, but it was a bit quicker.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/ ... y-demo.gif
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:16 pm

I was really impressed by the "script" for your cartoon. Solid gag, feels very classic.

You could really push your squash/stretch on your keyframes though.

Very cool project all around, not something you see very often these days.
--

Lava

Postby Lava » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks Brownboot! I appreciate the feedback!
kc09

Postby kc09 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 pm

That was great Lava!
Freelance Music Composer/Sound Editor
http://www.morgancasey.com" target="_blank
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Thank you so much KC!!
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 pm

Really good, though I feel a more exaggerated sense of anticipation would have added to the comic nature of it immensely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_p ... ticipation" target="_blank
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:01 pm

@Daniels

And welcome here!
Lava

Postby Lava » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Thank you so much Daniels, and like Bugala said, welcome to the boards! I'm glad you like my stuff. Posts like these are a great inspiration to me to make more. :)
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:52 pm

I've been experimenting lately with photography, primarily with dioramas: Essentially I take an action figure and try to recreate a scene with them in it.

First I thought I'd experiment with the figures I already had, from the first movies:
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :

Then my Arkham Asylum Batman and DC Universe Nightwing (aka Robin) came in the mail:
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :

Then I decided to try blend them with real city shots.

Nightwing in front of the Blüdhaven skyline (the city he protects) while holding his signature bars as weapons. The city background is of Chicago taken by Jesper Rautell Balle.
Spoiler! :

The next two are vritually identical, just with a little more flare in the second pic. It features Batman in front of the Gotham City skyline with the Bat signal in the background. The city background is of New York taken by Paulo Barcellos.
Spoiler! :
Spoiler! :
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 am

I'm impressed Lava, those look really good. The angle on the bat signal looks rather off though. :P
M^2 out-
Lava

Postby Lava » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks Mene! Ahh ok, yeah, what about it makes it look wrong, to you?
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:16 am

Oh, I figured that was on purpose, the beam of light is coming from the right, probably at some angle, but the bat signal is perfectly in line with the camera. I'd expect it to be at some angle in line with the beam of light.
M^2 out-