Our Unnamed iPhone RPG Project

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

samw3
Site Admin

Our Unnamed iPhone RPG Project

Postby samw3 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello All,

Robin Harbron and I have been working on a simple little RPG for the iPhone. It's turn base battles with static 3d rendered images for the baddies. He's been doing the code and I have been doing the art.

This really is my first real blender project and I've learned a lot. I really appreciate the guys on the cdn-chatzone IRC channel for giving good critique of my work.

Here are my first two baddies. A stone golem in a forest, and a scorpion like beast in a desert. We'll keep you posted as we advance on this..

ImageImage
Dagur Dragon

Re: Our Unnamed iPhone RPG Project

Postby Dagur Dragon » Fri May 22, 2009 6:40 am

Very cool, I really like the stone golem. So, iphone huh? I guess since it seems like everyone is developing for the iphone, I should get one or a ipod touch in the future :)
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri May 22, 2009 6:44 am

Sam/Robin: glad you started a thread on this project. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing how this progresses! Wish you both the best on this, it looks great so far! Love the blood-stained teeth/pincers :twisted: and nice golem! 8-)
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 am

Looks fantastic, Sam! You've cropped the baddies really well for the iPhone.

Do you have an option to play the game in landscape, or is it only going to be portrait?

Can't wait to see the rest!

--clint
""

._Image
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:38 am

Thanks for mentioning that Clint. We hadn't really hammered that down, but I suppose portrait mode would be best. Thanks!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am

How's the project coming along? The images look pretty good. Can't remember if I'd seen the scorpion before. Would love to hear progress as you guys move along with things.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 am

Lookin' good! I like the stone golem a lot too :D

I see you've mentioned the project is "unnamed". Is that because you don't want people to find out you're going to call it "The Adventures of Robin Hood and Sam I Am" just yet? :P
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri May 22, 2009 10:23 am

Nice guys! I think that the scorpion creatures is slightly too well lit, but oh well.... I think you've got a great start!
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Sparkworker
Location: Alcona, ON (Lindale Texas for end of 09/till august '10)

Postby Sparkworker » Fri May 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Gotta say - even though the iPhone is really nice and flashy, and "i"y.... (That should be a word) it seems like an oversaturated market.

I'm thinking - Xbox Community games has under 300 titles for it as of now... Porting a finished iPhone to it doesn't cost too much in the end (well, for me anyway.... The ease of being a student!)

I dunno. I think that any game with great production values and a good gameplay on the iPhone risks getting shoved to the bottom of a big list. On XBox community games (which is dying for quality) I think that any game with good production values will rise to the top. Art does look great! Keep up the good work!
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Fri May 29, 2009 11:47 am

Nice artwork! I especially like the golem, I don't know why. :mrgreen:
I look forward to hearing more about this project! Keep us all in the loop? :P
And by the way, Sparkworker has a point. Most of the "Community" games for the xbox are lacking in quality and oringinality. Though different coding is requried, a realease for both the xbox and Iphone is completley possible. XNA has a very well set-up library, and if you know any of the C langauges (pretty much) then your in!
(I don't however, which I why you don't see me doing that stuff... yet)
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri May 29, 2009 7:16 pm

@Sparkworker / RealmMaster: Is there any avenue for monetizing Xbox community games? That seems to be the big attraction of iPhone games -- it's so blazingly easy to make a game and see a revenue stream come in from it.

--clint
""

._Image
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 pm

HanClinto wrote:@Sparkworker / RealmMaster: Is there any avenue for monetizing Xbox community games? That seems to be the big attraction of iPhone games -- it's so blazingly easy to make a game and see a revenue stream come in from it.

--clint

Well, I'm not sure about the exace semantics of how XNA works, but if the game passes a "community test" of sorts, then it is offered for a price on the Xbox Live Arcarde. As for a stream of revenue, I'm not sure how great that would be. Paying for things over Xbox life is, I must admit, more of a pain then paying for things over the iPhone. I guess the influx of cash would be more limited than that on the iPhone, but I'm sure with time the XNA framework will become just as popular with games on the iPhone... at least, I hope. I'd reccomend a simple port to XNA in the case of considering income: two platforms is better than one.
Though, "Simple" is not a word that would normally associate itself with a port from a mac item to a windows console... :shock:
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:37 am

Here is a skeleton map from which I'll build the world. It's really rough, just to get a feel for the layout.

red = mountains
green = grass
d.green = trees
cyan = swamp
blue = water
yellow = sand
d.yellow = dunes (impassable sand)
orange = farm land

Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Sat May 30, 2009 11:39 pm

wait... are the mountinous areas non-traversable too? Otherwise your map looks a little open-ended to me... :?
Lava, June 10th 2008:
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 am

Yeah :) Mountains and water are also impassable.
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Sun May 31, 2009 11:03 pm

haha, okay. just checking! :D
Lava, June 10th 2008:
Exodus

Postby Exodus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 am

The Golem reminds me of the Gold Golem from Dragon Quest! :O One of my fav games ever! @_@ Are you making Dragon Quest for the Iphone?!?! That would be soooo awesome!
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18 [/size]
Sparkworker
Location: Alcona, ON (Lindale Texas for end of 09/till august '10)

Postby Sparkworker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:42 pm

XNA games are definately sellable - and profitable. The best selling ones seem to be combat ones - but any game can do well. A port is very easy to do (cept with yours I have a feeling a completely different control scheme would be neccesary). XNA also doesn't require an XBox for windows development, or even a fee. A game can be fully made on a PC and ported to the XBox in a week, so long as you have designed it with a controller in mind. If you can afford to do it, I say go for it!
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Nice job Sam. I've just started with blender. I plan to design an arbor for my backyard with it so I can get used to using it. I did notice that your scorpion has 1 white tooth on the right side (not counting the mandibles).

Peace,
~Kris
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:16 pm

@Exodus, well, not exactly, but that would be cool :D

@Sparkworker, this is for the iPhone. Going from objective-c to something like c#/xna would pretty much be a rewrite. Especially since you are going from touch/accelerometer control to buttons and a d-pad.

@maudib Thanks a lot! I love getting feedback. I'm feeling now like I really need to rework that scorpion creature's face.

As for an update, we've made more progress on the coding side and will keep you posted with more screenshots as we progress.