Finals are FINSIHED! I won 100 bucks for a game doc i made

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

Realm Master

Finals are FINSIHED! I won 100 bucks for a game doc i made

Postby Realm Master » Mon May 25, 2009 3:07 pm

hey guys, been gone again, sorry. I have slept little and eaten less as finals approached and I studied like mad, but now thats finished and I am proud to tell you that I haven't been competley negligent towards my dreams of game design, and my school (Ohlone Community College) had a Game Devleopment festival (w00t) and I one of their areas of entry was Game Design. I didn't create a real design document, but they had a small outline document for download and all I had to do was provide the ideas. I did, and I ended up taking first place. I'm awefully surprised considering my school has two whole classes devoted to game design and I have not been able to attend even one as of yet.
Without further ado, I present the link of the "game doc" for freindly (or not so friendly) scrutinzation and critique!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BEY1E46R
Its a .doc, so I hope you've got word! (it was a requirement of the design process)
:D
Hopefully will be frequenting the forums again, with finals all wrapped up and such.
:shock:
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
Mike

Re: Finals are FINSIHED! I won 100 bucks for a game doc i made

Postby Mike » Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Congrats
PFC

Postby PFC » Mon May 25, 2009 4:37 pm

nice!!!
will teach those game design students that to win it takes a bit more than just taking the class ;)
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm

I know, I'm very surprised I actually won, unless i was the only one that entered. :P thats probably close to what happened, anyway.
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
Nehemius

Postby Nehemius » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 pm

That was actually an enjoyable design doc to read. I had to laugh about the poor Pollywoggles being flung by the tree while on fire :D
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Mon May 25, 2009 10:50 pm

that was kinda the point. :D The player learns through trial and error, but the gameplay is still intuive and not stricly wrote. :)
Lava, June 10th 2008:
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue May 26, 2009 8:11 am

Hey man! welcome back! Stay longer this time would you?
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 pm

haha, will do Mene-Mene.
Btw, anyone have any critiques on the doc? (those who have read)
I would like to expand my thinking! :mrgreen:
Lava, June 10th 2008:
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm

I printed it to a pdf, and hosted it on my site. I'll read it later.

http://ncg.perd.org/Testing/Worksheet_GameDesign.pdf

Later:
A very fun game idea! The doc is very laid out very well in progression, but could use quite a bit of formatting.

Suggestions:

• On the four items, make it a single font on the numeration.
  • "What does the player does in the game?" Should be "What does the player do in the game?
  • Segregate the doc more, and use headers... The story, gameplay and examples are all blended together, the story of the egg should be a single header, the gameplay should be a header, the example gameplay should be a subheader...
  • "(Forgive poor quality picture: Printer/scanner refuses to work)" Whatever you do, don't apologize. If you point something out as bad, it looks bad, if you ignore the poor quality, the poor quality will be ignored.
  • Concept set-up, I'd suggest using left-to-right rather than clockwise.
  • Technical details: These were almost entirely absent, you lumped the camera controls in with the gameplay, the actual gameplay control was lacking.
  • Once again, HEADERS... Use lots of headers, also use tables of contents, that helps a lot as well.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Tue May 26, 2009 9:46 pm

thanks, Mene! The only thing I want to point out among that list is that game controls were lacking because I'm in no way sure which system to have the game on (comptuer or console, blah blah blah)

Thanks for the help! :D
Lava, June 10th 2008:
christo

Postby christo » Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Even if you don't know what system it will be on it is still possible to specify controls to a degree. Most game systems have the direction keys and for the other controls just reference the other keys as maybe (Action Key 1). It may also help to visualize the controls of a system that has a smaller set of keys like the PlayStation 1 or Super Nintendo. My early attempts at game making I used a PlayStation 1 as my mental model assigning keyboard keys(during development) so that they where reasonably close to that configuration(even if the direction keys were on the wrong side).
(Not exactly following earlier advice)
One major difference though in my situation vs yours is that I pretty much never wrote a design doc beyond maybe a few notes here and there. So my experience is limited.
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 pm

hmm.. good point. I think if I had to go back and add it, controls would be like this (very simplistc, the control scheme is not the selling point of the game.

Directions <- and -> move the camera around the center egg.

mouse or analog stick is used to move cursor over object or pollywoggles.

A simple "A" and "B" button mechanic would work swimmingly. "A" can select a pollywoggle and command him to move, interact, and attack. If "A" is too oversimpflied, the "B" button can be used to combine the pollywoggle with his item and another pollywoggle holding another object or group of pollywoggles on an ojbect. :D
Lava, June 10th 2008: