mightybotme's art thread

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

mikale

mightybotme's art thread

Postby mikale » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey everyone, I haven't posted anything here in a while, so I thought I'd keep you caught up on how I'm doing. I've been working on my art skills lately. That, and more recently, coloring. There was a coloring challenge over on GUTTERZOMBIE.com and I decided to give it a shot.

Lines by Khary Randolph. Colors by me. Total time: 1 hour. Not TOO bad for my first time coloring someone else's art. But still pretty sloppy I'd say.

And as far as illustration goes, I drew this from a Batman Adventures panel a few days ago:

Total time: 30 minutes from pencils to colors.

I'm learning more about body structure, muscles, stuff like that. I can almost draw superheroes better than cartoons now! Yikes!! :O Hope to start freelancing next year or the next (I'll be 15 next march). Comments and crits (brownboot :D) welcome.
Last edited by mikale on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Re: First colors!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:21 am

I gotta say, you're a LOT better than you were just earlier this year. I'm no artist, so I can't be too specific. (although the lighting is off...) It's still a major improvement.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
mikale

Postby mikale » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks, Peter! That's why I've been pretty quiet this summer... taking down my website and all. I have spent the last half of the year (especially the past 3 months) working on basic pencilling and body structure. As of last week, I've started tackling Photoshop's coloring tools. So this is just the beginning.
mikale

Postby mikale » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Here's one I just finished today

Lines by Derec Donovan. Colors by me.

I definitely improved a little ;-)
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Nice! i actually kinda miss your batman avatar! though still cool!

EDIT: i posted a link to this topic on my forum (just so you know!)
Just got back to programming!
mikale

Re: mightybotme's official art thread! Updated frequently!!

Postby mikale » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Diroh! Yeah, I'm totally fine with you posting a link to my art topic. Thanks for letting me know, too. Glad you dig my stuff.

Just finished this. This marks the first illustration I've done since I've had ANY somewhat coloring skill/knowledge. I like the illustration, but I think I blew it with all the white painted look on the colors. Crits?

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:59 am

Where the other one had crisp defined shadows, the new one does not have the same defined characteristics, It kind of blends together in this, "blah."

It also seems like you pillow shaded a bit, though it's kinda hard to be too sure about that.
M^2 out-
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:07 am

So did you just color it?
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey MightyBotMe, like Mene said, things are really coming along. I can see that you are streamlining your style with smoother and more fluid lines, which makes things look less rigid and unusually jagged.

It's hard to say too much criticism at this point because its hard to tell what is intentionally stylized \ abstract and what is not. But I guess I could start by asking you a vital question, do you start your drawings with any kind of preliminary skeleton \ stick figure before you start filling in the figure?

In terms of technique, the Batman one is definitely more structured, so I do prefer it over the white superhero one. However I think it would be totally rad if you were to return to the white character in the future, just an idea :mrgreen:
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:02 pm

I got what you're saying, Mene-Mene. Part of the reason the colors look so sloppy is I spend WAY too much time on it. For hours I was just adding to what I had when I should've just erased the messy colors and started from scratch. Too many brush strokes. Eh. I didn't really try to blend it the way I did on Spiderman's head and right arm (which are the best blends I've done so far). It was hard to make the white look good.

As far as the illustration, Lava, I scanned this one at a little lower resolution than what I normally work with but I think they're plenty smooth as well. I usually start with a rough sketch with all of the detail added in, then spend time tightening up the lines to make sure the perspectives, lines, and proportions are right. His right arm might be a liiiiitle small. And check out the fingers. :o Not something I normally do but on the right arm I messed up the inking, so I edited it after I scanned it, resulting in stubby fingers. I acually like those better than the claw-like ones in the reference picture I had.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I might get in another illustration by tonight.
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Don't even ASK me what those things are below her knees. It's that other guy's fault, not mine.

Focused on blending my brushes in Photoshop and came up with a little technique. I'm totally satisfied with the pic and the colors except for her head is too oval. Needs a shape to it. But I'm happy with it anyway.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 am

The lighting is a lot clearer now... That (right? the one that's forward) leg looks like it's shaded opposite of everything else. The inside of the short that she's wearing should not be lit pretty much at all. Try to make scale reveal where it is with regards to depth.
M^2 out-
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 am

Dude! You totally called me out and I'm just now getting over here to check this stuff out :P. Holiday travel can be such a drag...

I'm going to recommend you pickup a book (or ask for it for christmas!).

How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way

This is really the only art book I ever recommend and it lays a great foundation for drawing from your imagination. It's also a steal at $12! I still have mine from the 3rd grade, but its seen much better days. I grew up drawing super heroes and this book is the bible of super hero art, imo.

You might be jumping the gun on color. Not that you're doing anything particularly wrong but its not adding enough. If you look at the spider man pic you posted it jumps off the page compared to everything else. Why? The inking is ace.

The drawings you're working with now are line and color. That's it. Work on line weight, shading and anatomy with just pencil (or pen, or photoshop, or whatever). Color is just going to give you too much to worry about at this stage.

Also, when you're looking at other peoples art... really really really look at it. Back to the spider man pic: a bad first reaction when you're looking at this is to say "oh, scorpion is trying to kill spiderman with his tail thing again." It's important you start thinking about the shapes and forms. Where the shadows fall and why, see how spiderman's leg is completely black where its in shadow? The more you can focus on the art and not the subject matter the sooner you'll unravel the mysteries of what makes fun and exciting images.

That's my two cents for now :P.
--

samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 am

Excellent advice, brownboot.
mikale

Postby mikale » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Mene-Mene, you are a wise man and speak the sheer truth. I have applied everything you said to present my humblest avow.

In other matters...
samw3 wrote:Excellent advice, brownboot.
What he said. Thanks for the 2 cents, brownboot.

I've been stalking that book for a while now but decided not to ask for it for Christmas yet. It's one of the classics for sure. I have a book called Action! Cartooning by Ben Caldwell. It covers detail in body structure, poses, facial expressions, stuff like that. Ben is a pro artist, but so are those guys at Marvel for that matter. But that book you recommend is definitely on my wish list.

Jumping the gun! WOAH! That's me! My colors aren't top notch, they're on a notch so close to the floor you have to strain your eyes just to see 'em.

I've learned a lot just looking at the different colors from guys on the GUTTERZOMBIE and Penciljack forums. A guy on GUTTERZOMBIE.com is currently doing a series of coloring challenges to test your skill and style. Here and here are some threads that show the diversity these guys have in coloring ability. Ross Hughe's colors for Shatterstar and Deadpool are AMAZING.
Spoiler! :
Again, thanks for the advice everyone. Once I get my style developed and fired off, I will be an unstoppable superhero draw-er! Ha. WIP updates coming soon!
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm

mightybotme wrote:I've learned a lot just looking at the different colors from guys on the GUTTERZOMBIE and Penciljack forums. A guy on GUTTERZOMBIE.com is currently doing a series of coloring challenges to test your skill and style. Here and here are some threads that show the diversity these guys have in coloring ability. Ross Hughe's colors for Shatterstar and Deadpool are AMAZING.
Spoiler! :
Again, thanks for the advice everyone. Once I get my style developed and fired off, I will be an unstoppable superhero draw-er! Ha. WIP updates coming soon!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think that speaks for me!
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:24 am

mightybotme:
Wow, I looked at that guy's colors and those are quite exceptional, I literally drew in an awe-struck breath.

That left leg is looking better, but if you notice, the shadow is the same all through the entire leg to the calf. Note how on the arm that it kinda tapers off as it gets further from the light, something similar should probably happen. Still, looking a lot better.

You should definitely listen to brownboot though, he's the artist, I just have done a little art and taken an online course and whatnot. Your body does look pretty nice, (maybe a little heafy on the breast and small on the waist... :p) I think some work on faces would do you good, I'm quite aware that they're one of the hardest things to do, but they're also one of the most important things.
M^2 out-
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 am

Hey

Your drawings are coming along nicely mightybotme. At the risk of sounding redundant....brownboot is giving you excellent advice. You should concentrate on form and line....(I should take my own advice here...:)) but keep pushing it. You will succeed if you keep going at it.(and there's my Jerry Springer's Final Though for you to...:))

All the best
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:05 pm

nice new avatar! did you do that one or get it off the internet! :)
mikale

Postby mikale » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Here's a few faces I sketched up today.