Old Ruin with Fountain

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

Shakedown

Old Ruin with Fountain

Postby Shakedown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Hey

It has been a long time coming that I post something here. I have not really done anything worth posting to be honest. I have just been learning new things and life just happens as we all know...:)

A week or so ago I started working on a small scene for the Eat3d Small Scene challenge. I was keen to put a scene together from scratch, something I havn't done before. (Actually I was working on my Pre-Dominance War entry...lol...just needed an excuse to do something else.)

So here are some pics. They are WIP so nothing is final... comments and crits are most welcome.

This was the quick concept I did for it....

I had to scale it back so I have a chance of staying within the 10 000 tri limit(3D BLOCKOUT).....

Some of the first bits I started sculpting.....too much noise on it at the moment...I will fix that before I create the Low-Poly versions......

This was done as a test to see the tri-count I was looking at....so the first low poly object with normal map.....sitting at 388 tris.....

That is it for now. I will update this thread as I make some progress...:)
samw3
Site Admin

Re: Old Ruin with Fountain

Postby samw3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 pm

I like how your works feel so wabi-sabi, Shakedown. Keep it up! And it's nice to hear from you, again. I have a feeling Mack's recent newsletter was at play?

God Bless!
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:15 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Blacko..... I have spend quite a bit of time learning tools....so with this scene I am hoping to actually put what I have been learning to use. Glad you think I am inproving....means the learning is paying off..:)

Sam.....You always write such interesting replies...:). Had to look up wabi-sabi first....Thought you were insulting me there for a while....jokes :D ....Thanks, that is actually a lovely comment. I think any artist would appreciate that one....:)

I will probably have some more updates by next week.....my weekend is packed....so won't be working on this scene till next week.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:35 am

Forgive me if I derail this in the interest of learning a little better how you do it. You make a high poly mesh and a low poly mesh, you then back the high poly mesh onto the low poly mesh, what is that called? You mentioned it having too much noise and needing to fix that. How do you remove noise exactly?
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 am

I think I can answer those questions.

Highpoly -> Lowpoly is usually called baking. You have to first unwrap the low poly mesh, and then have a 3D program that can bake high-poly meshes to normal, bump, diffuse, and specular maps for the low-poly mesh. It takes a while to get right but it's worth it, as we can see from Shakedown's work :D

I'm a little less sure about "too much noise" but I think it means that he literally "dug too deep," i.e. he made cracks and general wear too deep.
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:57 am

I was aware what less noise meant, I just wanted to know how he planned to fix it.

Thanks for the answer to my first question.
M^2 out-
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:41 am

Hey mene...sorry I'm traveling, so only have sporadic access to internet. Kukanani discribed it correctly. After I created my high polly in ZBrush I created a low poly in Blender. Then I "transfer" the details from the high poly to the low poly by "baking" a Normal map.

The noise I was talking about was the damage you see to the side of the stairs....this was created with a noise filter I used in ZBrush...I just have to tone the filter effect down a bit before I apply it to my mesh. This is a great way in ZBrush to help with creating all kinds of surface noise.....you just tweak the filter till you are happy it martches what you are looking for!

Hope that makes sense.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks, everything makes sense now.
M^2 out-
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:55 am

Here is a small update. I have now converted all the objects I have sculted before into low poly models. The scene is sitting at 3472 tris and I have used 4*512 maps so far. I can use 10 000 tris and 16*512 maps. It could do with loads more optimization but I don't have enough time to do much tweaking. For now I am just running with it and will adjust my scene to stay within the poly limit.

samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 am

Very nice :)
achild

Postby achild » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:21 am

I was unsuccessfully trying to find a way to say this without sounding corny but... whatever... anyway...

Wow! Good job!

The side seems slightly... inferior to the rest of the stair case... but the job overall is just amazing. Awesome mesh optimization.. it's too bad that some detail might have to go to further match requirements. I wish I had 1/10 the modelling and texturing skills... Wow.

You absolutely can not tell that there are so few tris in the whole mesh.
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:18 am

Thanx for the feedback!....

@ achild...I used ZBrush(Decimation Master) for crunching down my scupted mesh to a lower poly version. After that I just tweak it in the areas where I want more or less definition...so no real modeling skill on my part.

I am going to transfer my models into the Unreal engine when they are done. I have been experimenting with the import from Blender to Unreal for quite some time....and I finally have figured it all out. I have looked at many tutorials on this....but somehow there is always that one extra problem. After a good few hours yesterday and today I am finally getting good results on test objects.

This does mean that the models I have created so far is probably not going to work and the amount of tweaking needed to make them work basically means I could rather start over. So I am thinking of creating a smaller scene....less objects...more details....then do propper tests with that in Unreal. I hope I can stilll finish in time for the comp.....but I am not to worried about that. Finally getting models from Blender into Unreal will be soooo worth it!
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Looking good Shakedown! I've been watching this thread with interest, keep us posted. :D
--