What's your environment like?

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

What's your environment like?

Postby Mene-Mene » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:24 pm

What environment do you program in, assuming you have control over it. What music do you listen to? Lit or not lit? Any detail you can provide will be of interest.

I typically listen to Christian Rock, (I've listened to everything, but Christian Rock works best so far as I've found) my room is moderately lit, currently on one monitor, but I prefer two. Although I work best while under a time limit, I prefer to work without that.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
christo

Re: What's your environment like?

Postby christo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 pm

I listen to a bunch of different types including rock of upbeat christian music(my mom has around 5,000 songs in her collection so it will be a while before I wear it all out). Unfortunately this does hinder my productivity sometimes as I occasionally get so into the music I find myself dancing or tapping the table along with the beat.

I have decent lighting in my room though my laptop sits in a alcolve that used to be a closet at one point, but it is still lit well enough. I have bright track lighting above my laptop(with a fader switch that I keep at about half strength) but I usually reserve it for when I am eating(yes I know you aren't supposed to eat in front of the computer) because it gets very hot when I turn those on for too long.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Hey. Funny you bring this up. We just moved offices in December and I was looking for that old thread we had about posting what your work environment looks like, but I could not find it.

Before the move I had my own office and always work with the lights off. People called our end of the hallway 'the dungeon' because we left the lights off. Now I have a huge cube and a few of us are lined up along the window-lined side. It's great! I have a beautiful view from the 4th floor looking over the city and to the hills. I really like this new office so much more than our old place. But I much prefer the location of the old place.

We have discussed what to do regarding the lights. We had them off for a few days and with the overcast days, it really was kinda dark in there. So we are experimenting with what works. It's a bit too bright when all the lights are on. I prefer working in darker, unlit environments. Right now I'm on the computer in the dark.

I used to listen to tons and tons of music. For years it was progressive rock (Yes/Genesis) and electronic music (such as Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis). One of my favorite coding albums was Marillion's (Neo-ProgRock) "Misplaced Childhood." Which is one of the best albums of all-time :-) One of those rare times when everything is so finely crafted, it becomes something special. Then I moved into always having worship music on. Plus I listen to jazz. Lately, I've been getting back into soundtracks. I've been listening to the soundtrack to "The Island" (Steve Jablonsky) a bit. And now getting into the Transformers soundtracks (also Steve Jablonsky). But, actually, several years ago I stopped programming with music because my co-workers would complain when I could not hear my phone ringing. So I don't listen to music all that much anymore. I want to get back into it and I have my iPod all set up, but I kinda forget to use it.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
Mike

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:38 am

I have music on in the background - fairly quiet stuff I grew up with makes it easy to tune out. Well lit.

I have two machines, thinking of adding a third as I have a small LCD screen, and making one machine a full screen multi media machine (school uses a file style simaler to you tube which means if you do anything with the mouse you loose full screen.) This will let me watch my classes and have my dual monitor machine to work on things while I do (it's a programming class and that what people do in the classes - don't think I'm sluffing off)
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:22 pm

I do all my work on a two-monitor, very well lit setup, with my iTunes on shuffle. That means I'm listening to everything from Christian Rock to soundtracks to techno...
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:08 am

I did it
Three machines

Windows - two monitors
Linux - file server - 1 monitor
Linux - Media box - 1 monitor

1 mouse
1 keyboard

Thanks to synergy - open source piece of software
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 am

Oh, I have a Win7 laptop with a 2nd monitor and an XP desktop with one monitor. The lappy is my main computer. I use the desktop for making the official builds of the product and for multi-tasking so I can work on two things at once. I'll sometimes have it run my tests. It's just really nice having a 2nd computer to do extra stuff so my main computer isn't always taken up.

As for music. Two days ago I started listening to the "Pirates of the Caribbean" soundtrack. I got to track 5. Yesterday I reached track 8. So you can see how little music I listen to. I'm trying to listen more, but I forget to use my iPod. I also get interrupted quite a bit so I stop listening and forget to get back to it.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Currently for the past week, a kitchen table. I've been listening to Electronica and 80's music. Lit or not lit depending on who's in the kitchen and whether it's too dark for them.

Looking forward to going back home to my desk and dual monitor setup with Pandora choosing the music for me based on some random "radio" that I'm in the mood for ;)
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Well lit, dead silent. In fact I wish sometimes I could turn off the fan in my already quiet laptop.

I sit in front of a big picture window where I can see the trees in my back yard over the top of my monitor. Although it's normally the black of night when I'm working these days.

My main desk (an old folding table) is often cluttered and has my ubuntu laptop with external monitor, keyboard and mouse, my mac mini with makeshift kvm (usb switch) and my laser printer. 3x5 cards litter the table which I use for notes and planning.

My other dev desk has a windows xp machine, color printer/fax and an NES on it. Our SVN server is an oldish IBM ThinkPad which hums along on top of a filing cabinet.

I also have a small electronics table with my soldering station and parts and stuff on it and also an old 17" CRT which I've been considering to replace but just haven't yet.

The other main feature of my office is four bookshelf full of stuff (which my wife would call "junk") :)

God Bless!