P1XL64 - Pixel Art Project

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

samw3
Site Admin

P1XL64 - Pixel Art Project

Postby samw3 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello all,

I've started a new project to help me keep improving my pixelling skills. Since pixel art seems to flourish under restriction, I've decided to follow these limitations:
  • A 64x64 pixel canvas
  • 4-Color palette
  • Use the Super Gameboy palettes
  • Try to complete each in about an hour
Here are a few I've finished recently. I love comments and criticism, please feel free to help me grow.

God Bless!

Image Image Image Image Image
mikale

Re: P1XL64 - Pixel Art Project

Postby mikale » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 am

Wow sam, I'm impressed!

These are looking really good. Seriously. I like the black checkered shadow for the tree in the second one.

So would it be more challenging if you used a 100 x 100 canvas with NO color limitations? Or is this hard enough?
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:19 am

Fantastic, Sam! Always been a fan of your pixel art.

The only things I would note would to have used a darker, brownish green for the tree scene and made the fire for the dragon more opaque.
Q.E.D.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks for the comments. :)

@mightybotme, both are challenging in different ways. But having a higher resolution with no color limitations doesn't help me make better pixel art, but it might help me make better computer art. Also having the resolution and palette already established gives me enough structure that I can skip thinking about that part and move right to the art.

@ArchAngel, good points :) Part of the restrictions I've placed on myself is to use the colors of the super gameboy. So I sorta had to run with what I was given there. As I gain traction I may shift to other palettes too.

Latest:
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Yeah, I don't know the Gameboy palette (and I suppose I didn't bother looking it up).

Nice job! I like the surreal hills in the background!
Q.E.D.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Although those look great when restrictions considered, i think you are wasting your skills limiting the amount of colors too much. Use at least 8 colors.

For while these are great too, they look bit pale compared to the ones you have made wihtout limitations.

And i dont mean they dont look as good as they would look in 8 colors, but i mean that you are not able to get out the same amount from them as you have been able to get out of the earlier ones.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm

I disagree, Bugala. You can draw a lot of emotion and feeling out of a scene by subduing the colors, and the whole idea of pixel art is the limitations; without any limitations, you got a photograph.
Q.E.D.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm

@ArhAngel

What i meant is that it seems to me that Sam is not as good on 4 colors, as he have been with previous limitations.

Simlarly as someone might not be as good in making computer graphics as he is in Painting.

To use parable.

If current limitation is painting, and previous one was using pens. Then Sam in my humle opinion should stick to Pens, since hes wasting his talent using Paint, as hes not so outstanding with paint, as he is with pens.

It could as well be the other way round. but that is naturally only my opinion.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:42 am

Supposing that he's not as good with 4 colors compared to 8 colors, (which I don't agree with) then that's exactly what he should be working on, yes?
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Again, I disagree. He's always used palette limitations when doing pixel art, now he's just limited it further. Maybe you prefer a later era of pixel graphics (I do), but let's face it, this is better than a lot of graphics I've seen on the gameboy. He's done a great job of using 4 colors to set a mood. I didn't realize they were only 4 colors until I reread his post.

Again, maybe you just don't prefer graphics of the era Sam is shooting for. This is pretty pro work, though; it brings mood and nostalgia, exactly what pixel art should.
Q.E.D.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 pm

I can see where you're coming from, bugala. 4 color gameboy palettes don't appeal to the masses. Pixel art doesn't really either. I like the challenge, however. And I like the look, personally. I am mainly doing this project to keep my creative juices flowing and limited resolution and colors sort of squeeze me a bit more and force me to be creative about things. But thanks for the comments anyways. I'm glad you like my 8-color stuff.

@Archangel - I'm glad you "get it" :)

@Mene-Mene - Yup! It's good to work on things we're not good at. Practice makes perfect.

Well, I'm in crunch time with work, but I've been working on a piece slowly, so it's not done yet, however, here's the (off-topic) 8-color avatar I did for Nehemius last week along with the accompanying 1-bit sketch.

Image Image
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:08 am

Mene-Mene wrote:Supposing that he's not as good with 4 colors compared to 8 colors, (which I don't agree with) then that's exactly what he should be working on, yes?
Since Samw3 sucks even more at making 3D art, shouldnt he be rather spending hes time on 3D art then?

but yes, practice is good of course, and it is good to try different things, especially the ones thatcan improve the main thing, that i agree, just wanted to point out the logic fall in this.

For what i was pointing out was:
Archangel wrote:You can draw a lot of emotion and feeling
And that is the exact thing. for basically 4 colors should be easier than 8 colors, since basically artists say that colors ar easy to handle, and the fourth is hard to balance already. However, this 3 colors does include shades of color. So dark blue, blue, and light blue are considered as one color in this.

But anyway, 4 color limitation sould basically make it easier to make it look balanced from colors than 8 colors.

but to the actual point. The exact thing was that i feel that samw3 doesnt get the same amount of feeling and emotion to his 4-color pictures as he gets to his more colors pictures.

In that sense I am hoping him to switch back to more colors, but of course i agree that he should do that for practice.

Oh, and Sam, we were both young when gameboy, and even more gameboy color was one of the coolest things on earth (although afterwards i wonder how did the atari lynx fail with their machine so hefty against gameboy, for it was much better. It already had colors when first gameboy was still shades of grey sort of, yet we always talked only of gameboy). So i do get the nostalgia on those pictures.

but anyway, that is just my opinion. and yes, those pictures are still better than the gameboy color titles graphics i have seen, as far as i can remember, but those less limited are just even so much better.

but interesting they are anyway.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:50 am

Bugala: Not if he isn't interested in learning how to make 3d art. There is no logic failure.

I disagree, it's a lot harder to make something with four colors compared to eight. What Sam is making isn't 4 different colors and as many shades as he wants, what it is, is four different colors, one shade for a color. THAT is difficult.

I agree with Arch, I think that Sam gets quite a bit of feeling and mood into these pictures, particularly the one in the shades of brown.

iirc, when GameBoy came out, Sam was a man. And if you're saying we, meaning me, then Gameboy came out before I was born.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm

By we i referred to sam and me, and no, Sam wasnt a man yet when gameboy came, although i did remember we were closer in our age so he was actually already a teenager, but when color came out, he was already a man, in that you are right, and that is basically the important part in this discussion.

i also remembered that both gameboys came out earlier, but when i checked from wikipedia i noticed i was actaully already 10 when the original came. I thought I was 8 years when i first time got playing Super Mario on Gameboy and the batteries run out disappointingly quick (maybe 2 hours only).

I was surprised that color didnt come out until 98, i thought it had been there ever since 94.

edit: darn! I must have had some bad batteries, Wikipedia says it should have lasted for at leat 14 hours with one set of batteries!
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:05 pm

I can't believe where this thread is going, lol.

Super Gameboy (not gameboy color) was a 1994 product. I was 20. So, I did have my Dot-matrix Gameboy when I was a teen.

The problem with the 3D art argument is that it is subjective. One could equally say that since I suck even more at sewing or painting with my bare hands, I should focus on that. I think each should focus on their passion. I've noticed that art is so much nicer when an artist does what he loves and not just what the public wants.

The main reason why I'm working on 2-bit low-res art is that I really like it. And if you don't like it, bugala, buy our new game coming out soon. It has a lot of higher color pixel art in it :)

God Bless!
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:30 am

@samw3

Oh, I would buy even the old one if i would just have the iphone and you already havent gave it to me free (or at least was supposed to from last speedgame i think.)

edit:
and to add also that I almost at one point bought iphone for myself to get to play that minimae game of yours. My biggest motivation to buy it was your game, second was couple of other CDN developer games, but they just werent enough yet for me to buy the iphone.

But i still feel extremely itchy to get my hands on minimae.
Dagur Dragon

Postby Dagur Dragon » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Amazing Sam! You have tempted me try my hand at those limitations.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 am

@Dagur_Dragon You should! Post them here if you want.

Here's a curious alien:
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:06 am

Looks good! What exactly is he holding?
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:33 am

His very first easter egg. Happy Easter! ;)