North Renew Download

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

North

North Renew Download

Postby North » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 am

Hey Everyone,

It's been a while since I've seen activity on the music section of this forum, so I figured I could possibly contribute by posting something. :)

Last week I offered a free download of one of my albums (Renew) to anyone on my Facebook page. I decided to leave the link up another week for anyone that might want it on Christiandevs.

My music isn't mainstream by any means, but for those that like electronicish instrumental music, feel free to help yourself at the link below.

**Link Removed** Although this CD can still be downloaded at my website if you're interested.

Enjoy, and God bless!

Steve
http://www.northsounds.com" target="_blank
Last edited by North on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christo

Re: North Renew Download

Postby christo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 am

Listened to a few tracks and this is some pretty good music. Not really the type I usually listen to, but I could see some of it making great game background music.

By the way what do you think of converting the music to the midi format? I ask since the music is instrumental and it is a much smaller format than wma. That would reduce bandwidth issues for those with slower connections and also make it more feasible to use as game music. If a game was made for CD distribution 175MB is 1/4 of the CD. Also would add a large amount to download times of a downloadable games.
North

Postby North » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey Christo,

Thanks for the feedback. :)

To be honest, I haven't thought about putting the songs in midi format at this point. I wanted everyone to have access to the songs as they sounded via CD, so I uploaded them as is (which is why the entire download is around 175mb). If I have some time, I'll most definitely try to get them in a smaller format for those with limited bandwidth.

Steve
mikale

Postby mikale » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey Steve,

Glad to see you back. I am currently downloading your album. Can't wait to hear it.

Say, didn't you make a track for Mene-Mene a year ago back? For our game called Ziro? That music was cool. I might be needing some music for a game I'm currently wrapping up. Or I'd definitely consider contacting you for a future game. If your interested, that is.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the new album. It's taking a while to download because I'm on a Skype call and downloading some other music too ;)

I'll let you know what I think of it!
-Mikale aka mightybotme
North

Postby North » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi Mikale,

My wife uses Skype and Netflix sometimes, which are both bandwidth killers. I feel your pain. LOL. :)

Good memory on the Ziro track (and thanks for the compliments). What ever happened with the project anyway...were you guys able to complete it? I'm more than happy to help with any projects you have on your plate, so feel free to reach out.

Hope you like the album!

Steve
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Ziro was terminated unfortunately. I just don't know how to make a platformer fun. :)
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
mikale

Postby mikale » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Steve, sorry I took a couple days to reply.

I really dig your music. You have some great talent. If I ever need some music for a future game, you'll be the first one I contact.
North

Postby North » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just a heads up that I'll be taking this link down in the next couple of days. If you still would like to download "Renew", make sure you do it soon. :)

Steve
PhoenixFire

Postby PhoenixFire » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:13 am

Hey! Good Job! I echo the thoughts of all here.

A quick question, What Program did you use to make your music? and what do you recommend?

Again, Great job!
And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision...For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Habakkuk 2:2-3
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Nice, it's really peaceful music. I could definitely see your style of music being used for background music in some games, and in other media as well. Keep up the good work!
North

Postby North » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

PhoenixFire, on this particular album I was using Cubase along with a few VST plug-ins. This was in 2007 though and I've been able to add a few new things to my setup since then which I hope will help me to improve.

In terms of recommendations, it really depends on the kind of music you're doing as there are a ton of options at this point. Is there a genre you tend to lean towards?

BTW...I'm actually taking the link down today. I hope those that wanted the album had enough time to download it. :)

God bless!

Steve
PhoenixFire

Postby PhoenixFire » Sun May 01, 2011 2:53 pm

North wrote:Is there a genre you tend to lean towards?
Beyond Cinematic/Instrumental Game Music, not really. I've dabbled with Sci-Fi, Fantasy, And quite a bit of somewhat eerie sounding music. I have been using LMMS, but there are only a few instruments in that program that actually sound good.
And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision...For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Habakkuk 2:2-3
North

Postby North » Sun May 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Hey PhoenixFire,

In terms of Cinematic/Instrumental music, there are many ways you could go. If you're looking to go the VST route (like I usually do) here's what you could do:

I’m not that familiar with LMMS, but if it supports VST plugins you could just skip to the next paragraph. If it doesn’t, get a nice digital audio workstation (DAW). Some good options out there are ProTools, Cubase, Reason, etc... Just make sure it supports VST Plugins.

At that point, there are a few different orchestral VST instruments out there. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for though. Here are just a few options: MOTU symphonic instrument, Garritan personal orchestra, and East West symphonic orchestra. I used the MOTU instrument on a previous album and thought it was great for the price. If I had to do it over again though, I most likely would have used the east west series...although it's a bit more expensive.

I'm sure other, more seasoned musicians on this forum might recommend other options too, so maybe one of them can chime in. :)

I hope this helps.

Steve