Shakedown's New Art Thread

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

Shakedown

Shakedown's New Art Thread

Postby Shakedown » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Guys.

I have not posted for a long time but thought I would share this work in progress. At the moment it is still far from done but the basic character idea is in place. Some areas of this character has not been touched and no fine details have been added, so keep that in mind if you have any feedback.

That being said. I would love some feedback or crits.

This character is part of a small game scene I am working on. Eventually it will be this guy with his craft and weapon set in a small environment. I picture him on some sort of hovercraft bike, with a modified M4(to fit his style) and a grenade launcher extention. He is already carrying some place holder grenade bullets on his right hip. If you have any thoughts on his ride weapon or scene feel free to share.... ;) I will keep posting updates as I go along.

If you want to check out some of the other stuff I have worked on, you are welcome to drop past my site. I have finally managed some time to upload bits and pieces. I hope to have my site error free by next week... :P

http://shakedownmedia.com/
samw3
Site Admin

Re: Shakedown's New Art Thread

Postby samw3 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Welcome back Shakedown! This looks great. Nice work!
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

Very sweet!
Q.E.D.
mikale

Postby mikale » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Welcome back.. lookin' slick!
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the welcome back guys.... :D

Did a quick test today just to see if the different material groups I have in mind will work. It did not take much time and now I know where to focus my sculpting.

brownboot

Postby brownboot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 am

Lookin good!
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:35 am

Hey....I am still busy with the character from above.....but thought I would just post something I have done recently for a mini comp over at Game Artisans. I did not have much time for this...so it can definately be improved. Any feedback is much appreciated.

We had to pick a muppet character and make him battle ready. I chose Rizo the rat but I did not copy him 100% since his fur is very ugly looking. Here is an end render. He was a little over 4400 tris for both character and weapon. We were only allowed one texture sheet of 1024 for character and weapon.

And here is a Star Wars Character I am working on... also for a mini comp at Game Artisans. This one is only a few hours of work so far. Crits and feedback much apreciated. This character will have a spec of around 8000 tris for both character and lightsaber. She will be a Jedi from the Verpin race. This is all new to me, since I am not much of a Star Wars fan. :lol:

brownboot

Postby brownboot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 am

Rizzo looks good. Your UVs could be a lot more efficient though. You aren't stacking anything, I know you're thinking about the normal maps but there are work arounds and texal density is more important. The geometry you have in place is gigantic compared to the whiskers you actually painted too, which also suggests there is a bunch of wasted UV space. And, packing everything oriented the same direction is nice and clean for you, but it means there is a ton of wasted space you could have saved by rotating those shapes to maximize their density.
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 am

Hey Brownboot! Thanks for the feedback. That was quick....LOL I was still on the forum and I had a responce....that never happens.

Your crits are spot on but let me ellaborate to why I made the the decisions I did. Firstly I entered quite late into the comp, so I had little time to work on this. For this reason I opted for a simple layout without stacking any UV's. As you pointed out....this makes the baking process faster without the worry of seams etc. My Normals were super quick to bake and I had to do almost no editing on them. I was also going to add different battle scars to either side of the body....but in the end I did not have enough time. A lot of hand painting was done on this character and as you mentioned, for this reason I kept the UV's easy to paint on(once again a choice to work faster since my time was limited).

If I had more time with this I would definately have opted for a tighter layout with some UV stacking....not complete though....and definately would have twisted some of the parts in the layout. Thank you so much for your crit because these are the things you have to become better and faster at all the time. I will be sure to post my latest character UV's for some feedback when they are done.

Ps....the whiskers does actually only take up a very tiny space even though the geometry is huge....lol I actually thought about rather removing them from the final image since they are soooo huge in the wireframe pic. They were basically a last minute add to he right side of my UV layout. They were only a pixel or so wide and I just scaled the UV's down around them.... :shock: Not a slick sollution but with a tight deadline it got the job done in time.
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Wow, I love both of those! Great job! I think you did a good job capturing an insect-like texture and look. I also love how the mouse is kind of low poly, but there's alot of detail in the texture-- showing that the texture really does make the model.
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:43 am

Hey

Thanks Lava...here is an update on my Verpine character!

She now sits at 8000 tris, with 2048 Diff, Norm, Spec Reflection and Glow map. The Spec map was used very sparingly and the UV's were not mirrored since details on all parts are unique. This is a real-time render from within the Blender Game Engine that I comped in Photoshop. Only slight saturation and sharpness tweaks....so pretty much what she would look like in-game. Any feedback much appreciated! ;)

brownboot

Postby brownboot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 am

Looks really good!

I take it the glow in blender isn't actually emmissive and that's why you used planes on the saber?

I'm a little dissappointed the helmet isn't a seperate piece with the entire head underneath (just assuming since there is no render and I can't see it on the sheets), because the head was so cool.

Random nitpicks on non-essential stuff: You could make the cloth darker on your spec map, everything is nearly equivalent shininess. Spec and Glow should be in the Alpha channels of your Diff and Normal maps. You HAVE TO START STACKING STUFF. It's cute in a render, its extremely inefficient in a game. Why aren't the feet stacked, or the sleeves? You can just pull the arm strap off and stack the rest. I can get behind not stacking the backpack because its up high and if this is a playable character you'd be following them around in 3rd person a lot. A cube map on the goggles would be nice, but you'd have to do something to mask the input (vertex color would save adding another map unless you can pull off the 2 channel normal map)
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 am

Hey Brownnboot...Thanx for your reply. I respect your feedback greatly.

To answer some of your questions....

Using Emmisive in Blender gives off no light...I faked it with alpha mapped planes and used a light parented to the saber to create the glow in real-time.

About the head....I was pushing for it but when I ended at 11000 tris after my first low poly I had to work very hard to get everything I got in at 8000 tris. The idea was to make up for it by having a strong cube map on the glasses.OH...And the biggest reason for going with the helmet and not the head was I was affraid that she would not sell as a Jedi with her menacing facial features. Verpine look more like "baddies" than "goodies"!

About the UV's. It depends on the engine...but normally I would definately not have all my UV's on one map. Especially not the weapon included with the character..or depending on the function of the model...maybe a sepparate head and body UV. In these comps you are restricted by using one UV map. You can not break them up into smaller components. This means that when you lay out your UV's things are pretty much carved in stone....if you wanted to later unstack UV's because of symmetry issues or for whatever reason, it might mean starting over or seriously compromising part of your model. If I was allowed to split up the maps then there would be more room for error and I would stack more for these comps.

Still about the stacking. I textured her in ZBRUSH and I did have symmetry on the torso and the sleeves but it was very obvious and I decided to let go of trying to stack those UV's. The areas I know I could have stacked are the feet and hands, but even the legs, with the AO baking, this will not work because of the pouch on the opposite side. Also for the pouch on the arm, which I opted actualy to make part of the arm mesh and not a sepparate object...and the folds were sculpted completely different due to the pouch fitting around her arm.

About the Spec Map. Actually I only ended using that on the helmet. Totally waste of a spec map. Just didnt have enough time to tweak it.

I wanted to use a cube map on the glasses and I think that it is the one thing I will still do. I was not sure if a separate cube map was allowed for this comp and I got no answer before submitting my entry....so I ended faking all my reflections using my actual diffuse map. Turns out we were allowed a sepperate reflection map.....so totally bummed because the glasses are lacking to what I originally had planned for them.

The thing you have to remember about these comps are that the best choice....is unfortunately not always the best choice...:)

Thanks again for your comments. As always you are spot on!
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:46 pm

The model looks great man, don't interpert my deluge of notes as negative :P Good points about the competition restrictions, hadn't considered that when I was going over it.

If you're worried about the symmetry you should toy around with using the second UV set to place some decals. Depending on what you're after it can be a pretty efficient way to break things up.
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey Brownboot....I did not interpret your comment as negative at all :D. The points you make are completely spot on and I definitely were trying this time round to see where I could implement your suggestions from my previous model. Just the comp rules makes it harder sometimes. I don't understand why they sometimes have some of the restrictions they do, since it makes you work in a way less industry standard.....but I understand that they do need to limit the scope or it would be hard to moderate.

About the second UV set. Strangely it is not something I have really considered for my characters! I use it all the time on environmental pieces but not on characters. Will remember this for future projects. In the scope of these mini comps though...that would also not be allowed since that would mean a second diff map.

Btw... The work you have done on SMC is absolutely gorgeous! I love the art style and your illustrations are brilliant! Suppose it must be great fun to work on these characters! And how is the JunkPunk game you were working on coming along? I love where you were going with that!
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 am

Not necessarily. You can use the alpha channel of your existing diff map, or really any channel. Lots of shader tricks if you want to get crazy.
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Brownboot...Think I will run this past the guys at GA when I particpate in another mini comp.

I have not used this kind of setup before but I do something similar by painting my shaders on my models by using the RGB channels independantly. Hard to explain but a similar node setup to split the channels might be possible in the Blender Game Engine. Not 100% sure about it though. Some node setups do not translate to the Game Engine. I am keen to give this a bash in the future. Nice article you posted about this a while back. Ran into another guy on youtube that uses this kind of thing for complex animated textures in Unreal Ed.
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

If you can compile the node setup in Blender the Game Engine should be able to access it. I'd be surprised if somebody hadn't made a compiler. CG isn't real complicated to do by hand either once you compare a few.
--

Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey brownboot....not sure if it is possible but even if it is, I would not know where to start... Besides some basic python, I usually avoid the code side..:).... Not that I don't find it interesting. I just have not spend enough time on it for me to help myself!