Cover of my next novel, need opinions

Talk about your skill passion! Ask questions, get feedback, post something cool!

Moderator: samw3

randyness

Cover of my next novel, need opinions

Postby randyness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Hey, we are concepting out the cover of the next novel in my Forgotten Portals series. Penny for your thoughts:
SSquared

Re: Cover of my next novel, need opinions

Postby SSquared » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 am

It looks like a good concept. The one thing that pops out to me is the use of light/dark. The man with the gun is the center point. It is where your eyes are drawn. That's OK if that's the point, but I would like to see that guy on the top to be lighter. He is somewhat subdued, so my eyes look to him, think he's some bad guy but then move my thoughts on to the next character, which would be the Steam Punk dude. The guy at the bottom is really in the dark and seemed like he was drawn as an afterthought.

My other comment is the Steampunk dude looks similar to one of the other books. Something about him should give you a new feeling.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Nice. Can't say I have any advice to give except, hire a good colorist. SSquared had some good thoughts.
jcdied4me

Postby jcdied4me » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey Randy,

The book cover is off to a great start. I hope you don't mind but I did a paint over. I didn't have a lot of time so I did what I could to help. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt. Either way, I hope there is something here for your.

I felt the whole image was a little to uniform. The first thing I did was add a consistent lighting source. Seeing as how this images is a collage and scale/space is not unified, it needed something to act as the glue which would hold the composition together. I choose the lighting and mass value pattern to do so. This is common practice. Next, I added a glowy bit to the primary character's chest so the lighting made sense... give or take. Obviously I took some artistic liberties with the lighting cues but for the most part, light is on the light side and shadow on the shadow side of the characters faces. I then melded some shapes for the graphic elements of the image. It seemed appropriate that everything but the faces would take on more of a graphic nature so I did just that. I also changed the scale and reorganized some of the heads to feel closer in scale for reliability. They felt too sporadically placed in space. I then knocked all the lighter values from the setting that were competing with the faces. This gave the faces center stage which I felt was appropriate. I also added what could be dragon heads to the left and right of the dude's head at the top center. I took out a lot of the scribblie strokes when I blocked in the light and shadow shapes. I took them out of the mass value shapes as well. I didn't feel the noodling added anything to the image but messiness.

Now, If you squint your eyes at the image you will notice the underlying circular clock like structure. This is the first subconscious read a viewer will make. My goal was to keep the eyes coming back for more. And seeing as how this is essentially a circular composition, bringing all the light shapes into the circle made sense to me. Almost all choices were made to reinforce a strong clear composition and pleasing aesthetic's through the use of simple picture structure.

Other things of note: Most of the faces felt off. They lacked consistent facial structure. I didn't have time to fix everything but I hope you get the idea. Stay consistent with the planes of the face. The eyes were tilted one way and the mouth another and yet the nose another. Also, one half of the faces looked different from the other like they were two different faces grafted together. Staying consistent with the symmetry is really important to a good consistent facial structure.

And finally, I changed the facial expression to reinforce a consistent emotion. I moved the gunner's arm and fixed the hand's proportions too.

Anywho, here it is.

And an animated gif to show the difference; before and after.

Again, I hope this helped. You are off to a great start. I can't wait to see the result.
----------
God speed,
Jeff

jeffsfolio.com