Post-Mortem: Jestermax

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

jestermax

Post-Mortem: Jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:45 pm

Ok, So lately my car had been acting funny. I thought there was something wrong with the battery since it would drain overnight and would either barely start up or I'd have to jumpstart it using my portable car-starter thing. It wasn't like that for very long though; maybe a week. Either way, my dad and I figured the battery needed to be replaced. I think it was even the original battery and it's a 2002 car. So I went and bought a new battery for it and we went to change it.....
So as it turns out, one of the leads on it was broken off or was REALLY close to breaking off! So we had to use a hack saw to cut the lead (pB) off the connector so we could replace the battery. The thing ended up leaking acid too! Insanity! It's a good thing I got that thing in cause who knows what other sort of damage could have happened with a faulty battery like that.

Oh yeah, and I was also making a game at that time.

So the design started off like it ended up with one difference; combat. I had originally half-planned to include a combat mode similar to Paper Mario. I actually coded it too and it was fun cause you had to use timed attacks to deal extra damage. However I took it out cause I didn't think it was stable enough. Incorporating that into the rest of the game wasn't really feasible.
Originally you were supposed to fight pirates who would throw trout at you. Also Mack was a playable character in the game but you had to save him from a flock of parrots. HanClinto made it to the final copy but he was supposed to be playable as well, also he was supposed to be more senile.

The art was custom made but I kind of wanted to base some of the characters after sam's pixel characters (my avatar is his work). Oh yeah, Mack's in-game character looked like a dude in a bikini. I was going to write that into the story as well but I just took it out for ease.

Overall, I didn't really get that stressed about the comp. this year. I more had fun I think for the most part. Really, what I got out of it was some code I was already going to write in the future so score!
Oh yeah, I also had plans and schematics all made up for the code. It would have been nice, but then I forgot then plans and I wasn't at home when I started working on the game so a bunch of it wasn't as fancy as I had planned, but oh well. I'm happy with it in that it's stable and a decent running program. I even got to put in an easter egg.

I must say though, that during the competition I got working on a couple other ideas I had, haha. I felt guilty though so I stopped that pretty quickly...

So... yeah... that's how development went for me...

ummm...

Goodbye...
ArchAngel

Re: Post-Mortem: Jestermax

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 pm

haha, your game looks good and the title cracks me up.
Can't wait to play it.

Apparently, Mack and Han star in at least 3 games, now. They're quite the cool kids on campus...

And my sister had a similar problem with a lead for her car when we went to replace the battery.
...her car was the hardest thing to work on. Anything you wanted to do, something was always in the way.
It's like some cruel joke by dodge.
Q.E.D.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:09 pm

Nice read Jestermax. I played through and my daughter was reapeating over and over and over "I wanna play! I wanna play!" Once I finished, I let her play and she got all the way through, too. At least I'm figuring we finished. It said "Go home now" or something like that.

Pretty funny! Loved the humor.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
JMAC

Postby JMAC » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:52 am

Girls are washing their hair or doing laundry or being captured by pirates for an inordinate portion of time...

Very funny dialog, and by the end I did find the lesson of your focus verse ("A good woman is hard to find") quite tightly woven through the story. I was cracking up especially through the opening, in the dialog between the Jester and the Professor. The art style is also quite nice - distinctive and fluid.

One question for now: is there any way to get to that evil-looking tree sitting outside the east fence of the village? We know the mastermind behind the girls' kidnappings, and I think we have a suspect for the pie vanishings...
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:26 am

Yes, you can get to talk to the evil tree (who is a character from my last speedgame), however it's a secret and I refuse to post it in a public channel :) cause that's how i roll
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:57 am

haha, I saw that tree. Didn't know you can talk to it....

haha, you're game kept cracking me yup.
I love how Han was a professor in both our games...
Q.E.D.
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Mack was supposed to be in it too with an armoured bikini and CPUFreak was supposed to be a talking slot machine
JMAC

Postby JMAC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:37 pm

I got to the Evil Tree!

Spoiler! :
"BLAAARG!"
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:38 pm

A hint form ToME: Ents natural ability
M^2 out-