Parsed-Modem: CPUFreak91

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

CPUFreak91

Parsed-Modem: CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

(A friend of mine has trouble saying Post-Mortem without concentrating really hard. Most of the time it comes out as "Parsed Modem" :P )

The Good:
This was my first Unity Speedgame. The first competition game I've worked on that was finished (I had bluesky features that I never did, but the almost-barebones designs were completed). I also finished this game in the middle of another competition :). Using a game engine instead of going from scratch *really* helped. I can no longer look down upon game engines or people who use good ones. :P. I was able to just script events instead of the whole system.

The Bad:
I couldn't make a good voice for the computer using my own vocal chords, so I had to just use Mac OS X's text-to-speech engine.

The Ugly:
The last puzzle I made in 1 morning + a bit of afternoon, and performance on both my rig and a few others (such as Mene's, but really bad on his) suffered. Due to Jeff's time constraints, the level building was made up of 1 piece of mesh.. and you see it everywhere. If he had more time we would have built the rooms out of 1 mesh.

Misc. Info:
I'd originally planned for teeter-totter puzzles, but I discovered that the lift-style scales were easier to work with, and appealed to an older target audience ;).

Designing the puzzles and levels was a blast. Normally I don't do level design, but this was good fun. If we continue to work on it, Jeff will probably do some design too.

I opted for a GUI-less interface as much as was possible. Rather than have text come up on-screen it was quicker and easier for me to play an audio file.

Should we continue development and make it bigger, I'd like to put in some kind of boss you need to defeat at the end (yes kind of like portal, but unlike portal, you wouldn't destroy the computer antagonist ;) ).

EDIT: What I learned:
I've learned from the past projects to keep the scope for future games tiny. This time I just wanted to professionally rush through the game, polish it, and submit it. It's only 3 small levels, but it's complete, and it's fun :). I have a bare-bones design to which I apply modular ideas to if there's time. There wasn't time, but the game looked exactly like I envisioned it to (minus the teeter totters and art style which turned out to be better than I envisioned) ;).

Well I can't really think of anything more to say, everything went pretty well, and Jeff and I want to work on the game in the future, make it bigger, make it better, make it funnier, and try to get it on Shockwave or something like that ;).
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
JMAC

Re: Parsed-Modem: CPUFreak91

Postby JMAC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

I enjoyed playing your game in the early stages of development (albeit mischievously, ha ha), and the finished product is excellent. The puzzles are well-done, and the control worked very well. I must say I like the move from teeter-totter to lifts - it looks like it let you do a lot more than a teeter-totter would, since now the lifts can reasonably sail to an arbitrary height (which you take advantage of very well).

I might've been imagining things, but it almost looked like one of the boxes had a momentary label for its weight, but then I rolled it over wrong and lost it forever (oddly enough, it was the correct 3lbs...). I like the idea of requiring the player to experiment with the blocks - I thought it was crazy at first when I had to work so hard for the boxes at the conveyor area, but it all gives a nice challenge.

Right now, the farthest I've gotten is the area just past the high ramp (with the one 5lb. lift needed to find a 2lb. box, beside lift needing I think 4lbs.). Somehow, when I went to put two 2lb. boxes on the 4lb. lift, it suddenly changed the weight it wanted - and when I threw the boxes off, it said it wanted 1lb. Nuts - I'll try again tomorrow, without breaking your game (again).

Excellent job - you squashed all the bugs I knew of from invading your pre-releases, and turned out some nicely-designed levels.

Aside: Somehow, at 11:00PM, I managed to forget that 3+3=6 and thought I needed to find three 2lb. boxes for the one conveyor-area lift.
CPUFreak91

Re: Parsed-Modem: CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm

JMAC wrote:I enjoyed playing your game in the early stages of development (albeit mischievously, ha ha), and the finished product is excellent. The puzzles are well-done, and the control worked very well.

Thank you!

I must say I like the move from teeter-totter to lifts - it looks like it let you do a lot more than a teeter-totter would, since now the lifts can reasonably sail to an arbitrary height (which you take advantage of very well).

That's true. The limitations of the teeter totter are fun though. I would like to include them in a future release.

I might've been imagining things, but it almost looked like one of the boxes had a momentary label for its weight, but then I rolled it over wrong and lost it forever (oddly enough, it was the correct 3lbs...).

Hmm interesting. I changed the weighing code at the last minute and it seemed to be less buggy. What do you mean by a "label"? I had one instance of a bug that provided me with a very large decimal number. :P.

I like the idea of requiring the player to experiment with the blocks - I thought it was crazy at first when I had to work so hard for the boxes at the conveyor area, but it all gives a nice challenge.

Excellent! Nothing like trial by fire huh? This game was heavily influenced by the puzzles in Half Life 2 and in Portal. In HL2 99% of the puzzles require experimentation. They do, however, build upon one another, something I wasn't able to do very well in this game.

Right now, the farthest I've gotten is the area just past the high ramp (with the one 5lb. lift needed to find a 2lb. box, beside lift needing I think 4lbs.). Somehow, when I went to put two 2lb. boxes on the 4lb. lift, it suddenly changed the weight it wanted - and when I threw the boxes off, it said it wanted 1lb. Nuts - I'll try again tomorrow, without breaking your game (again).

Hmm. Would it be possible to describe what you did with a little more detail? Did you pick up the boxes a lot, drop them near the edge of the lift, position them so that they might "roll" off, or position then in such a way that only the edges of the boxes where touching, or run in to them with the camera/dude you're controlling?

Thank you for the excellent and descriptive feedback!
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21