Knife Toss - Our First Iphone Game

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

brock

Knife Toss - Our First Iphone Game

Postby brock » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Shortly after last summer's CGDC, our small team began learning unity 3d and developing for the iphone and now our first game is ready to be submitted to the app store. Here are some screen shots, let me know what you think.

Exodus

Re: Knife Toss - Our First Iphone Game

Postby Exodus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:39 am

Hey! That looks like a lot of fun! Congratulations on finishing this! :)
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18 [/size]
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 am

nice job on the graphics, Brock.

I think I saw some of the CGDC footage you shot on your site. Is it done? Maybe some links in another thread?
cryptopur

Postby cryptopur » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Awesome ! Way to go!
And let me just tell you - nothing, no NOTHING, says 'Xian video game' like throwing an axe at a demonic clown (if that doesn't seem redundant).
I think this has 'spiritual warfare allegory' written all over it. :D

All joking aside Brock - very cool. Soma Games congratulates you heartily.
brock

Postby brock » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We've just put a new trailer up for the game on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfZ_-xH2jo
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 am

that's an awesome trailer, Brock. Plus a really cool use of the iPhone gyros.

Hm, I'd like to see what happens when the player misses and knifes the clown.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 am

Great trailer!
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:55 am

Wow! That is like a totally clever gameplay idea! What do other levels look like? What makes levels more difficult? Caught your post on Touch Arcade as well. Anywhere else you are active?
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
brock

Postby brock » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone! To answer the difficulty question, the wheel spins incrementally faster each round. Also, once you get to a certain round the wheel spins the opposite direction. Further along the wheel starts directions back and forth during the round.
brock

Postby brock » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Forgot to ask.......we're thinking about pricing the game at $0.99. Do you think we should launch the game for free and then switch to paid? I've been reading up on different pricing strategies online. Anyone have any experience with iphone game pricing?
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm

.99 sounds great.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Don't start the pricing as Free. It sets it in people's minds that it will just be free again. 99 cents is good. $1.99 might be good, too.

Now, if you could somehow access the photos on the device and let the player use a circle to cut out a face. You could then put the face on the body. That could make a neat concept.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:57 pm

If you plan on making more games, then you could also consider making mailing list and letting them have this game for free as long as they join that mailing list.

That would mean that when next game comes out, theres lots of people who already know your previous game, and if they liked it, are potential buyers for that new and next one and next one and...

and al lyou need to do is send them a message and you get hefty amount of sales at once.

And not only that, but you could also use it to manipulate some Iphone stores. Say you release a new game, then when it gets to that Iphone store, instead of selling it yourself, you send your mailing list a message that now this game is available from http://www.iphonestore.com/newgame and suddenly you might see that your new game jumps to number one spot on currently most sold games chart, which of course can be used very effectively for marketing and stuff (ie. contact games magazine and tell that this game is number one sold game at iphonestore.com, perhaps you like to make aastroy about it) and even alone already propably generates lots of sales since people easily check number one sold game when they check games.

Also, Now these Iphone games are still pretty new thing, so people might be interested enough to get a commercial game and join mailing list at this point. But 2 years later it might me much harder already since people might have got used to them already.
alittlebc

Postby alittlebc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 am

Wow! I love you graphics. Very impressed, and eagerly awaiting it coming to iTunes. I remember the weeks in-between submission and acceptance, where you stop developing and start marketing. Not so fun times (unless you like marketing I guess).

99c was where we priced our first game, but with our limited marketing budget (in both time and money), it may have been better to offer it for free, to get it out and about and try to make money off subsequent games. Its really difficult to launch free then make it paid, unless you do in-app purchasing.

Have you got some review sites lined up for when your promo codes drop?

Good luck with the game dude, releasing your first game to the iPhone world is scray and exciting, and tough to pull off, but you look like you've got something awesome there. You've definitely got one sale on opening week, just let us know when it hits.

If you want to chat about iPhone dev or marketing, feel free to contact, would love to talk.

Paul Abrahams
Creative Director
brock

Postby brock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:19 pm

After many set backs and delays Knife Toss is finally available on the app store. Please check it out and review it. Thanks

itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knife-toss/id353250682?mt=8
(this is a direct itunes link)
brock

Postby brock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Knife Toss update 1.1 rolled out today. We've been listening to feedback and working hard to improve the game. Here are a few improvements and new screen shots.

Improvements
- More backgrounds
- Smoother & Faster Controls
- Automatic calibration on pause
- A new bonus sign with lights
- Refinement to how the wheel switches directions.
- Fish Fight Teaser Trailer

Price
$0.99

iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knife-to ... 50682?mt=8

CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I saw Knife Toss was on OpenFeint's free game of the day! Congrats. I'm curious to know how this will affect your sales afterward :)

How did you do that? Is it an option that is present in the latest version of the 2.4 api?
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
brock

Postby brock » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

CPUFreak91 wrote:I saw Knife Toss was on OpenFeint's free game of the day! Congrats. I'm curious to know how this will affect your sales afterward :)

How did you do that? Is it an option that is present in the latest version of the 2.4 api?
I can let you know how it affects our sales later this week, but i've read from developers that it increases sales up to 2,000%. If you are a developer with OpenFeint integrated you can simply email them to sign up.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 am

hmm.., 2,0 percent isnt that much :)
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:20 am

Bugala: Not everyone conforms to the stupid traditions of the UK and what not.

2,000.0% or in the fashion of foolishness, 2.000,0%
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!