The SpaceJourney Thread

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

mikale

Re: The SpaceJourney Thread

Postby mikale » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:12 am

Yeah, it's great to see progress! PROGRESS. :twisted:
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 pm

It was progress that killed the tiny little innocent worm that was happily moving with happy thoughts in his head when someone decided to go fishing.
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:28 am

haha, poor worm!

Nice progress Lava! Really cool work you've got going. keep the momentum!
b-o

Postby b-o » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I kind of wish the 'r' button function could be controlled by the right mouse button instead, since it's used so frequently. but the game is looking good. is there anyway to drop the gun?
Lava

Postby Lava » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06 am

JoeJoeZ26 wrote:haha, poor worm!

Nice progress Lava! Really cool work you've got going. keep the momentum!
Thanks Joe! I appreciate that. Yeah, momentum is definitely hard to keep rolling, haha.
b-o wrote:I kind of wish the 'r' button function could be controlled by the right mouse button instead, since it's used so frequently.
Yes, this already in the next update. Thanks for the input! :)
but the game is looking good. is there anyway to drop the gun?
Thanks! At this point, there's no way to drop the gun. Mostly because I haven't thought of a reason why the player would need to drop it. Someone suggested making the player slower with the gun, and that would be interesting idea, but I'm not so sure about it.

UPDATE:
Here's what the new suit will look like (with a comparison to the old suit)...the only thing missing is the glossy texture on the visor.
Shakedown

Postby Shakedown » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 am

I like the new suit! Keep going, we need another update.. :D
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Thanks Shakedown!

I guess I could update you guys on what the "bad guys" will look like in person. This is a model I made for a different game but I still liked the design. Its probably how the final characters will look, it just need to be textured and I might do some tweaking. Plus their design is more fitting to the more stylized direction I might be taking the game.
This isn't related so much to the next update. As you won't probably see them face to face unless you board their ship or you're communicating with them (both features which probably won't be implemented in the next update). However, the villains will get a ship redesign in the next update (which I've already modelled, just need to texture before posting).

I've also been designing a kind of mythos of how they're related to the "good guys".
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:40 pm

I recently added a page for SpaceJourney on IndieDB. Indie DB is a great tool because it allows lots of feedback and puts your game at the top of the game list so more people will see it. And as you get more frequent visitors it has a popularity rating for your game. It also has a twitter-esque following \ watch feature so people can stay in the know when you post updates for your game.

After posting a batch of screenshots SpaceJourney climbed to the 75th place in the list of top 100 games (and will hopefully stay there, haha) out of a total of 8,387 titles, after being on there only 8 days. It also now has a total of 967 views (half of which are not of me pressing the refresh button). So if this game can some publicity, I'm sure yours can too!

And since the site is great at giving you incentive to post updates. I will more than likely be posting most of the updates for the game there. So feel free to follow my game there!

SpaceJourney on IndieDB!
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice work lava! it was pretty cool donning the suit and equipping the gun to go out and hunt those pesky spiders. I was trying to catch the pogo stick in my tractor beam in sector 2 but got destroyed by the space station...o well. Any little critiques i had were already mentioned above so... can't wait for the updates!

indieDb seems promising. I'll make use of it when i decide to release my awesome game too :)
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks bdmccowan for playing my game and giving feedback. Its good to hear that things are pretty accessible and straight forward.

Its awesome that you'll be using IndieDB for your own projects. I added your profile to my watch list. :)