Summer Game Challenge 2017

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Challenge
Make a christian themed game.

Preparatory game development phase: Immediately
Main game development phase: 6.00 a.m. 1 July – 12.00 a.m. 31 August
Game submit deadline: 12.00 a.m. EDT 31 August
Voting: 4 September – 11.00 a.m. EDT 24 September
Winners announced and awards ceremony: 25 September

Prizes for best games
First place: 50€ Steam gift code
Second place: 25€ Steam gift code
Third place: 10€ Steam gift code

Euro is about the same as dollar and according to Steam an euro gift code will automatically change to the currency the Steam user use.

Terms

About preparatory game development phase:
You are welcome to immediately plan what game you want to make, make preliminary artwork and research. You can also recycle old game ideas. The main idea with this phase is to get a good idea of what you want to be creating during the main game developing phase.

About main game development phase:
This phase starts 6.00 a.m. EDT 1 July and ends 12 a.m. EDT 31 August. It is under this phase you actually make the game that we will play.

The reason for the long development time is because this is summer, we members probably want to do a lot of things, other then programming, and I want to give people with less time for programming the opportunity to be a part of this challenge.

Feel free to be more then one working on the game. But you have to solve who in the group will recive the price.

You can use others images and audio that you bought or is free, but if you do, you should mention where you got it from. As the bible say: “Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due;...” (Romans 13:7).

About game submit deadline:
By 12 a.m. EDT 31 August your game MUST be submitted to the challenge.

You submit your game by posting a link in this thread to where your game is, so it can be played by all.

[b]IMPORTANT: I can not host any files so it is up to you, the competitor, to find a way to share your game. It may be a temporary free storage site, or Google Drive or perhaps the administrators of http://www.christiandevs.com can open a server for this purpose as they have previous years.

While it is not mandatory it would be appreciated that upon submitting your game also share a game journal, explaining how your game was developed.

You can make the game for what ever operating system you want. I would appreciate it if you made it for PC, HTML5 or Android, so I can play it =).

About voting:
I will open a special thread on this forum dedicated for voting. The voting begins 4 September and ends 11.00 a.m. EDT 24 September.

About winners announced and awards ceremony:
25 September I will look through the results of the voting and announce the winners based on the results. If two or more of the games get equal votes I, as the creator of this challenge, have to decide which game is better. I will consider strongest christian theme and the presences of a game journal. If a game is for an operating system I can’t play it will be hard for me to judge it!

After the winners are announced I will send the Steam gift code to the winners either through email, if I have received that, or private message here on this forum. If two or more have worked on a game, please explain early who should receive the Steam code.

Have a great summer!

UPDATE: Today, 2017-06-05 I made some changes to the preparatory game development phase terms, to make the meaning of it more clear
Last edited by Isaiah222 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaiah222

Re: Summer Game Challenge 2017

Postby Isaiah222 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 am

You can follow my game development on my new blog here: https://jesaja222.blogspot.se/ :mrgreen:
ExevaloN

Postby ExevaloN » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm

I'd definitely love to participate if ChristianDevs does not actually do a SpeedGame Challenge this year. I'll share this thread to the Christian Game Developers FB page and the ChristianDevs FB page so more eyeballs fall on it.
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm

ExevaloN wrote:I'd definitely love to participate if ChristianDevs does not actually do a SpeedGame Challenge this year. I'll share this thread to the Christian Game Developers FB page and the ChristianDevs FB page so more eyeballs fall on it.

Well, the good news is that if they have a speed game challenge this year within the time limit of my Summer Game Challenge you are free to submit your speed game to this challenge also! :D

God bless
Isaiah222

Main game development phase has started

Postby Isaiah222 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 am

Now the main game development phase has started and lets make some games! =)
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Hey Isaiah 222! Sorry I haven't been posting much during the Summer Games Challenge but I just had to submit something.
I admit, I had gotten a bit distracted as well but had to make something for the Summer Games Challenge.
Here are the google drive links to my game Bible Mix, a windows, mac, linux and android version are available.

Windows
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Ofyx ... sp=sharing

Mac

Linux

Android

Just had to say, Isaiah 222, I have alot of respect for you for making all of your game assets from scratch. This is my 1st game template that I changed everything in the template. It was hard work, even with all of the assets ready to replace, the replacing was very tedious.

Also, much props to you for kicking off an extra Christian Game Jam this year! I kinda always wanted 2 Christian Speedgames a year.

Also, I jammed out to 2 other game jams. The week of awesome V and the Kenney Jam. If you want you can see my entries:

Week of Awesome V: (found out about this once it was half way over)
https://neonlightgames.com/woa/Submissi ... Imperative!

Kenney Jam:
https://itch.io/jam/kenney-jam-2017/rate/171530

And this would make my 3rd Jam for August! And Speedgame is around the corner! Hope I don't get burnt out! But again Isaiah 222, keep up the good work and God Bless!
Feed back would be greatly appreciated on my games, you know, to help me make better ones in the future!
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 pm

And I admire your creativity and energy sketche99! :)
I like your bible game very well done. 8-)
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh, completely missed this one. Hmm. maybe i can still make something, deadline wasnt until tomorrow. Lets see if i come up with some small simple idea and feel like doing it.
Isaiah222

deadline is reached!

Postby Isaiah222 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 am

The deadline is reached and no more games can be submitted.

Return to “Project Announcements, Showcase and Developments”