Return of the Jestermax (and stuff he's been working on)

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

jestermax

Return of the Jestermax (and stuff he's been working on)

Postby jestermax » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:48 am

Werd yo.

Haven't been here in a while, but I figured I'd drop by to show off some stuff I've been working on. It isn't much (stupid work gets in the way), but I finally have some videos to show for my effort. There's project info on my blog (http://www.jestermax.wordpress.com), but here's the gist of it:
I built a 2D-in-3D custom game engine (physics engine, particle effects, scripting engine, etc) and I've been working on a couple games with it on and off. It took me a while to replace all the "borrowed" art and get the features all in decent shape, but I'm at the point where I need to write story, etc and some levels to go with it.

I can't figure out how to get the YouTube tags to work, so here are the URLs to the videos:

EDIT: Fixed the video posts.
Last edited by jestermax on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
brandav

Re: Return of the Jestermax (and stuff he's been working on)

Postby brandav » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:25 pm

Welcome back Jestermax and nice work! I like the Fez-style navigation. That's great you're at the point to make the story and levels; that's the fun part in my opinion :) How did you learn to build your own game engine?

To get youtube videos to work, you have to use the http without the "s".

Code: Select all

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9rjasOF6Cs[/YouTube]
mikale

Postby mikale » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:44 pm

Glad to see you back
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm

sweet
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:14 am

Hey, Thanks for giving me the heads up on fixing the videos. Looks much better now.

I've been assuming people would compare it to Fez. I'm happy about it actually; I didn't see the game until after I built the mechanic in, but Fez is popular and it makes it easy to describe to people.

I've been at the "story and levels" part of gamedev for a while (on two games), but I've been struggling with it for a bit. It either doesn't cover the atmosphere I want for the game, or I can't figure out how the dialogue should sound. First world problems.

I have a bunch of computer science degrees now, so game engines aren't all that difficult (just difficult to do well). My engine code is a little messy, but for the most part it handles everything I'd like it to. Right now it CAN do shaders, but it doesn't do them well, so that's one of my milestones for the future after I build a better demo. My next video should be a combat demo.
brandav

Postby brandav » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:16 pm

You should sue Polytron for stealing your idea and make millions :twisted:

The zombie theme plus the unique navigation could make for an interesting survival puzzle game. I really haven't played many survival games, but from what I've seen, they're all about limited resources.

As for the storyline, you could start with the main character and ask yourself different questions about the character to a build a story (i.e. who is this character? where is the character and what is he/she trying to accomplish? What are the character's motives? Is he/she trying to save someone/something? Prevent something from happening? Cause something to happen? Gain power? Get revenge? Find a cure?) Other zombie-specific questions could be: What is the nature and origin of the zombie disease? Is a human/humans behind this or is this spontaneous mutation? Do the zombies have strengths or weaknesses that you can use to add to the story or build strategy into the game? The setting also doesn't have to be a mansion. It could be a prison, hospital, abandoned building, ancient structure, etc.

If you haven't already, I also recommend checking out Pixar's 22 rules of storytelling.

As for level-building, navigation could be a key factor in the designs. Perspective is important, and you could use it in various ways for solving puzzles even during combat. Your videos also showed the character pushing objects around. Pushing them over levers to open doors, over cracks in the floor to get across, into holes to fall through to the floor below, in front of pathways to block them, or in other special positions to grant access to more areas of the map. You could also shoot objects or targets to cause things to happen.

As for dialogue, the better you know the characters and their motivations, the easier it is to predict what they are likely to say in different situations in the game. What are the characters' goals, aspirations, and fears? Get to know your characters really well, and the dialogue should get easier.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 pm

Yo! Nice.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon May 05, 2014 9:27 am

Brandav: The initial idea of this project was to see if I could make some Doom-style gameplay with this 2d-in-3d approach, where you look for keys and shoot zombies. After a while, it became more obvious that this could be used for some much better mechanics and the implementation cost wasn't even high. With the scripting tools I have for the engine, I can do some really neat things without even having to recompile! That being said, a survival puzzle game indeed seemed like the next best step.

For the story though, I have a few leads in that I'm toying with some Lovecraftian themes. This opens up some new doors for how the mechanics and levels can work, but going purely Lovecraft seemed too limiting given what I can feasibly do with respect to art and mechanics. For the character, I've started trying to build a Myers-Briggs profile to essentially answer your questions, but things are still pretty fluid. I want to avoid writing the characters/story in stone right now so I don't limit what the experience should be like. That being said; I'm having trouble stringing rooms and levels together because I don't have the plot figured out. So as you can see, I'm in a vicious cycle right now.

So right now I have lots of small "demos" for the mechanics with lots of puzzles like the ones you're suggesting. Once I get rolling again, there will be tons of opportunity for depth, so it will be exciting.

@SS: werd yo!

Also, I've posted some more videos. One is a combat demo and one just shows off the rain effect I've been working on:

jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon May 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Another video of my game. This time it's a video demo of a playable level.

jestermax

Postby jestermax » Tue May 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Part 2 of the video (sorry for thread-spamming)