Project organization tips. Any takers?

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

jestermax

Project organization tips. Any takers?

Postby jestermax » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:43 am

Hey there. I call myself jestermax, although some of the old-timers on this forum may call me... jestermax. I'm a software engineer by profession and in the past I've dabbled in game development and other interesting endeavors. One of my more recent projects is a game code named "Zombie Mansion", which is a 2D-in-3D mystery shooter game I built from the ground up. I have some screenshots and videos posted on my blog at jestermax.wordpress.com and on YouTube for those interested, but that isn't the reason I post today.

I've been working on figuring out how to get the most out of my development time on projects. I've been feeling that the techniques I've picked up over the past while could be of some benefit to development teams that have a legitimate chance at building games, but struggle to get core features and general progress on their projects. An overview on one of my techniques can be found here: http://jestermax.wordpress.com/2014/03/ ... s-and-you/

My disclaimer is that these may or may not help you. I'm not a hugely successful indie dev, so you don't really have a reason to believe any advice I give as well. That being said, a lot of these techniques have been crafted based on actual methodologies used by legit developers. What I'm offering is to give some advice on organizing your process and projects. I'm also looking for feedback on if you tried out the ideas and how they worked for you.

ANYWAY, bottom line: is anybody reading this interested in receiving some consultation and ideas for their projects? (I'm not interested in joining a team at this point, just to give advice; your project is your project)
bugala

Re: Project organization tips. Any takers?

Postby bugala » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:03 am

Thanks from tip, I might give it a try.
jestermax

Re: Project organization tips. Any takers?

Postby jestermax » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:19 am

Here's another tidbit/idea. As a game dev, there are likely several processes that are manually performed. This could be copying over files between software builds, editing images, backing up projects, etc. Automating these processes can be a huge time saver here. Even if you're on a windows box, it takes very little time to learn how to write .bat files to automate things. If you're really fancy, there is pre-made software to help you even further. A short rant is available in this short blurb: http://jestermax.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... ation-4-u/