Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

JeTSpice
TALKer!

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby JeTSpice » Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Brandon, what music is it?
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks :) Things are VERY bare though atm, and movement isn't flushed out quite yet either.

Man... I have so many different music files accumulated from demo's... I believe that it's music from a game engine demo that I had downloaded lol.
leet hacker

Postby leet hacker » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm

i didn't have much time to work on bbh today, but i changed the logo-icon-thingy so it would be transparent, as well as my avatar.

not much difference there, but it should look different if you use it in the desktop as the icon for the shortcut to bbh.

edit: oh yeah, the letters (bbh) are not transparent. i tried having them be transparent too, but it didn't look nice.
Hackers are good. Crackers are bad.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu May 29, 2008 4:00 am

Just installed Virtual Box - it's virtual machine software by Sun

It's fast

It's responsinve

It supports this really cool seemless mode - that lets you open windows on the host os (ubuntu in my case)

No 3d support when I set it up (although my card and linux are not great friends)

andygeers

Postby andygeers » Sat May 31, 2008 3:47 am

Hurrah, praise the Lord, I can finally stop banging my head against a brick wall trying to get my native C++ app talking to a C# DLL via a Managed C++ DLL! Cheers ssquared for the encouragement and the Wiki link - in the end I found what I was missing from this knowledge-base article and by including a #using directive for a particular DLL I managed to solve the crash.

Now the hard work really begins, when I have to make my C# DLL actually DO something!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sat May 31, 2008 7:57 am

That's great Andy! Glad you figured it out. Why didn't the compiler catch the missing 'using'? I'm curious, which type of 'using' statement was missing? The one to define a namespace? Or to define object scope?
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Sat May 31, 2008 8:38 am

SSquared wrote:That's great Andy! Glad you figured it out. Why didn't the compiler catch the missing 'using'? I'm curious, which type of 'using' statement was missing? The one to define a namespace? Or to define object scope?

I had to add this:

Code: Select all

#using <mscorlib.dll>
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:07 am

I've got a vid coming about RPGesus, but keep running into other stuff.

RPGesus now has a magic wand cursor, complete with little sparkles. You can save/load/delete and create a new game. The game auto-saves in a pretty compact way. A few bug fixes and working right now on a very simple in-game tutorial.
Mike

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:37 am

I read - Head first java.

I have been coding in java for a few months - but alot of things I did because I knew that was the java way - but it did not "click" with me.

Part of it was I'm mostly self taught on java, was first a top down programmer, and on a regular basis I am dealing with - vb script, VBA, windows scripting, SQL, python, and java.

This books calls itself a learner. Full of stories, analogies, puzzles (no I did not do the puzzles) and picked up alot.

http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-Kathy-Sierra/dp/0596009208

Mike
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:58 am

Mack: You want updates? I'll give you updates.
This is the updates over the last few days, I"ve been working on preperation for Shabbat, and Shavuot, I finished a collection of PHP/MySQL/HTML scripts to make a log that makes its use for my mother's library.
I've gone from 68 to 10 bugs in a entirely new project, I've started rereading Thinking in C Plus Plus.... That's about it.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Ph0N37Ic5

Postby Ph0N37Ic5 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:09 am

Nothing too exiting to report these days. I have written a command line parser class. I figured I'd do it once and for all. I'm fairly happy with it, although one probably shouldn't spend more than 400 lines of code on such. Oh well. It works and probably will cover all my need for command line parsing for a long time.
bwoogie

Postby bwoogie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:50 am

I haven't worked on much for the last few days worth posting on. :p
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:11 pm

I have created a simple wrapper to ZedGraph to allow for easy pie chart creation. This is some home research I'm doing so we can add it in at work.

The old thing we had was simply text:

Widgets
Mack: 53
SSquared: 30
Jestermax: 10
Mene-Mene: 250

it is now:

At work I created this cool print preview mode. I added the ability to use the mousewheel for zooming in and out as well as panning a map window. The non-printable area of a map is overlaid with a 1/2 alpha blend. This way, you can see exactly what portion of your map is going to be printed. I'll post an image this week when I get back in to work. It should make more sense then.

I've also been having a great time on CDN IRC. I look forward to logging on each morning and am having a great time with everyhone. I did some testing of Mene-Mene's database thing he mentioned above. I've also been discussing and working through C++ questions/issues with Sam, Jestermax, Mene-Mene, and everyone else.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 pm

@SSquared, those charts looks great. I'm definitely keeping ZedGraph in mind for future projects that require charts. And thanks for all the C++ help, you really know it well.

So, my progress. Here's a jukebox of the Finding Adina songs. Its based upon my new retro 2D game lib that builds a single monolithic exe with no dependencies. w00t!

Here's the .exe if you'd like to try it out. It's windows only for now, but theoretically cross-platform. That'll come later.

I'm using C++/Allegro and am working to pull in several, liberally licensed, opens source libraries (Box2D, Mappy, GME). As well as porting a few concepts that I like from some Java libs (PulpCore, Slick2D).

FYI, in the original version of FA, the music was rendered to (relatively) massive .ogg files (6MB each) even though the source music files (NSF) were only ~7K. This jukebox uses Blargg's Audio Libraries' Game_Music_Emu, which not only is a lot smaller, but sounds a lot better than the .ogg's too.

God Bless!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Sam. Your jukebox is TOTALLY classic! I love it. I'm waiting for all this fancy stuff and it's a total command-line thing. I laughed. You certainly have an eye and touch of the classic look and feel. And I've always raved about the soundtrack. Great job!

Thanks for the comments.
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:57 am

I'm step by step getting closer to getting a C# DLL working from my C++ game engine to let me view a nice HTML rendered version of the game scripts that control my Bible-teaching computer games. It now communicates properly and can render an XML version. The next step is to whip together some XSLT to turn it into HTML.

I think I'm more and more thinking it's time to open source my game engine to try and make it easier for other developers to help me out. Wanting to bring together to a point where the core architecture is all in place. It's a big step for me, I'm an incredibly proud person and quite possessive of my code, but I think it's the right thing to do if I'm ever to finish this game. The game itself (which I consider a separate project to the engine) is already a collaborative thing.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Here is the Print Preview Mode thing I've been working on. It's been complete for a few days.

The first one is the regular ol' Print Preview. This is where you select the Print Preview menu item and this window is all you get. If you don't have what you want in view, you need to close the window and pan/zoom the map and hope you get it right. It's basically a static view.

Below is the new version. The window is our normal application window, but when you hit the Print Preview Mode on the toolbar, the gray mask is drawn to show what gets printed. You can compare it against the first one to see it is the same. Since this is the normal working mode of the application, you can now pan and zoom the map until you fit the map how you want into the print area.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty excited about these features. I was pretty overwhelmed at first, but slowly worked through each step and finally got the working version.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm

That rocks ssquared! Good job!
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:28 pm

Been taking breaks to reduce the stress on my wrists, but I've still gotten quite a bit done. Here's a quick update. The full one can be found here on the Open Fire Gold Progress + Screenshots thread.

In short the game is 98% done. The other 2% may take a while, but the game should be done quite some time before the end of summer.

Work In Progress Highscores interface screenshot:

The biggest announcment is a Twitter client. The game will post your scores to your Twitter account. You can use the Twitter Facebook app to update your Facebook status and display your high score to all your FB friends! ;)
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 am

Wow, twitter clients and interactive print modes.

I'm taking a couple days' breather from RPGesus and working on an interactive film, using Youtube's new annotation feature. Hope to have it up in a couple of days. Here's a little test shot, where your game's over.
Spoiler! :