Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

mastallama

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby mastallama » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I've got 2 new updates of a more philosophical nature on my D&D blog and I have my domain redirecting now too: http://jeremysouthard.org

Let me know what you think!
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Robin_Harbron wrote:Had a few free hours so I started on the Spy Hunter clone in Scratch I had been thinking of:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MacbthPSW/512327

Space bar to shoot. Still needs a lot of variety in the enemy department :)

How long have you been coding in scratch - I started learning it a couple months ago so I could teach my son and have been impressed with how quick you can throw something together.
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Game Development Setback #77,139: Wrong Design.
Got some new art from Guategeek, but it doesn't have enough bones in enough places for me to place colliders on. This was his first animation done in Blender (previously, he did them all in Maya) and it works perfectly, it just needs a different design ;).
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
RobinH

Postby RobinH » Mon May 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Mike wrote:How long have you been coding in scratch - I started learning it a couple months ago so I could teach my son and have been impressed with how quick you can throw something together.

Yeah, it's great. I was similarly motivated to get my kids into it.

I first played with it very early in 2008, then had another go at it last summer for a few nights, and then hadn't done anything with it until this weekend.
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:43 pm

Working on a 3d model. The horrible glitches whilst wight painting have convinced me to remodel the entire thing. :evil:
Mike

Postby Mike » Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Robin_Harbron wrote:
Mike wrote:How long have you been coding in scratch - I started learning it a couple months ago so I could teach my son and have been impressed with how quick you can throw something together.

Yeah, it's great. I was similarly motivated to get my kids into it.

I first played with it very early in 2008, then had another go at it last summer for a few nights, and then hadn't done anything with it until this weekend.

http://scratch.mit.edu/users/Mike_W

I have my Ludum's entry as well as a 10 minuite game competition that I entered.

Also I have car versus drivers. http://2brosarcade.twobrotherssoftware.com/games/g001/index.html

All in scratch
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:39 am

Got the first finalized art piece for WC! Complete with textures and animations ;).
Spoiler! :

Warning: 6mb spoiler download/stream
Last edited by CPUFreak91 on Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 am

So I rewrote my "Tile Engine" code using the Irrlicht Game Engine cause I got tired of having to do everything by myself. Anyway, it's more or less up to where I left off except now I have more features to play with. I won't get into what is actually in the scene though.

(Btw, check out my sweet frame rate, lol)
bennythebear

Postby bennythebear » Wed May 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Looking good Jester. Nice FPS too :) . Well my cousin(mainly him :( ) and I have been working on a web based strategy game. We're kind of learning php as we go through it, so it's coming along kind of slow as you probably could guess. We just started on working on the building and military building pages. We don't have an official name for it yet so we're calling it "maple"...no idea why, he picked it out. Just thought I'd post to let everybody know I'm finally working on a real project :p .
"There is no higher intellectual pursuit than seeking the knowledge of Christ" - Anonymous
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I just got past my collisions hitch. I can now move characters around the world smoothly and they can jump, etc. and interact with it. Stairs are also possible and Irrlicht allows walking up them nicely. Now I can probably settle on making a demo or something!
Sparkworker
Location: Alcona, ON (Lindale Texas for end of 09/till august '10)

Postby Sparkworker » Thu May 07, 2009 6:02 pm

WC looks hilarious! I can just imagine that floppy chicken flying through the air... A great rag doll would make that game AMAZING!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu May 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Some pretty fascinating stuff from you all.

I'm still working on my grid thing I mentioned awhile ago. I got the underlying engine working awhile ago. It adds, deletes, updates data. The other part I've been working on is the data of information that needs to be displayed. I had gone through several ideas and ended up deciding to recreate our C++ data classes in C# (this grid is in C#). In doing this, I decided to use XML as the mechanism to get data across. Since our C++ classes can already read/write themselves as XML, I decided to do the same thing on the C# side.

I am using Reflection (a way to inspect objects during run-time when you know nothing about the object - type, properties/fields, methods, etc.) to make each data class aware of itself so it can read/write itself as XML without me having to write any extra code. As long as you derive from a standard base class I made, you get Read/Write/Update of XML for free! The grid can also Read/Write CSV files, which again I use Reflection so that adding a new class is no extra work for the developer. The underlying code is already there to inspect the class and copy the CSV file data into the actual property/fields of an object.

Porting the classes from C++ to C# is slooowwwwww and grunt work. Even so, I am truly having an extreme blast on this project. God is GOOD! I can't wait to get to work in the morning. Since we will now have a large portion of our classes in C#, it really opens us up to some very neat things for the future. So not only am I excited about this project, but also pumped up for potential possibilities! My mind is already swirling around with ideas and others have started chiming in as well now that they know I'm working on this.

I'm sort of thinking of rewriting the XML Read/Write/Update code and packaging it up as an Assembly for people to use in their own projects. I can't reuse what I did for work, so I need to rewrite it. It will probably look similar, but I already know some features I want to add that we don't necessarily need for work. And I have some different approaches I want to take in certain parts of the code.

And after months of thinking about it, I finally installed Tortoise SVN on my laptop today. Now I can get and update our work codebase from home using my own laptop. I had been bringing home my work laptop all this time and growing weary of dragging it along. Plus, it's just not a very good computer. Got everything installed, and things are up and running. This will be a HUGE benefit for when I work from home.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Got an animation-based palm tree proof of concept finished, fought a few bugs along the way, and there's still one left, but I won't worry about it for a while. I'm now trying a ragdoll tree and learning (by trial and error) how one makes a ragdoll from a palm tree ;)

Calin

Postby Calin » Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 pm

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 am

that's wicked

some of mine:
http://projectrts.googlepages.com/l3.jpg
the problem is not to be stupid but to be stupid in the wrong places
____
Gorillaz
http://proimpact2.googlepages.com/1.jpg
PFC

Postby PFC » Thu May 14, 2009 9:33 am

Just started my summer semester at school.
Recently set up my SVN server (YAY :D)
Currently working on small pieces of code with the goal of creating a library of things I often use, and also for use later to make a tutorial(how to make a 3d networked game in python)

I also FINALLY figured out what A servers are.... and so was able to set up my domain/sub-domains properly without using redirects.
I'll post the links when there's something to see ^-^
muadib

Postby muadib » Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am

Two things I've been working on:

1) Got my website up (http://www.kris-murray.comxa.com). At first I wanted to code it all myself, but I thought i'd give the free site builder a try. It's pretty nice actually, It'd take me a lot of work to do this by myself
2) I'm releasing 0.1 (Pre-alpha) version of The Butterfly Fellowship (http://www.kris-murray.comxa.com/1_9_Bu ... wship.html). This has come a long way since when I just sent ArchAngel versions via email. Please let me know your comments and suggestions.

Peace,
~Kris
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Fri May 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Well, talking with a VP today and this Grid thing I'm working on has turned from a "side task" to a full-fledged project! Yippeeeee!!!!! He has been extremely excited to see this finally get into the product. After discussing things today, there is a whole LOT more functionality we want to add to this project. A lot of stuff that will require some good thought. I'm quite excited about what we discussed. It should be pretty fun. The last week I've been porting C++ objects to C# which has been going pretty well in addition to some more enhancements to the grid.

I also started looking at what it will take to compile our app (C++) for 64-bit. So far, it's been one problem after another. It took me awhile to even find Visual Studio on this new 64-bit machine we got. Had to hunt around for it. Then, I couldn't compile the libtiff libraries we use. It can't find some header files. But this same Makefile has no problem on 32-bit machines. After installing VS 2005, it definitely placed things scattered around, in somewhat different spots then on the 32-bit machines, so I might need to just hunt things down. OK, moving on from there I was like, let's just try and compile OUR stuff. I try the very first project in our Solution and it could not link to the Expat XML library we use since the library is in 32-bit. So, I'm needing to figure out ways to get these 3rd Party libraries compiled for 64-bit. I kind of left it at that for this week. We have one other 3rd Party library we use, but we have a 64-bit version of it from the developer.

That's pretty much an update of this week.
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 pm

SSquared wrote:So, I'm needing to figure out ways to get these 3rd Party libraries compiled for 64-bit. I kind of left it at that for this week. We have one other 3rd Party library we use, but we have a 64-bit version of it from the developer.

Just write a 64-bit wrapper for them like the Linux guys do when they need a 64-bit library but only a 32-bit binary is available ;)
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 pm

CPUFreak91 wrote:Just write a 64-bit wrapper for them like the Linux guys do when they need a 64-bit library but only a 32-bit binary is available ;)

Hahahaha. I'm confused as to whether those libraries already have 64-bit versions or what. I have the source code for both so I just need to properly compile them. The sites sort of mention 64-bits, but I haven't dug too far into it.

Actually, the big challenge will be with one of our own DLLs. It's all written in Fortran. Someone is going to look into what it will take to make it 64-bit. But if there are issues, we will probably create a server to run the DLL. We will then either access the server through sockets, or (my personal preference) through .NET Remoting. We've discussed making it into a server for quite some time. Two years ago I made a small client/server prototype using .NET Remoting to show that it can be done. I only accessed about three of the DLL function calls. The DLL has MANY calls, some with a huge number of parameters, so it will take awhile to write a complete wrapper to it.
christo

Postby christo » Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Since my last post I made a number of modifications to the basic system to add some simplified versions of the features in the advanced system. There is still some things that have to be done before it is all working but I would guess the changes are over half way complete and some additional simplicity was possible because I could consider what the main engine should be handling without the inventory.

The last few days though I haven't been working on that project because it finally got to a point at home where I couldn't stand the severe lack of organization in the utility closet :shock: . Now(after about 2 or 3 days,takes awhile to organize multiple years of stuff accumulation) it is a lot better than it was :) even if a lot of the organization was primarily by size :oops: . More could theoretically be done, but it is dependent upon other events.