Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

andygeers

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby andygeers » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:18 am

I've been busy setting up my development environment to run Unity iPhone. It all works brilliantly, indeed much better than I'd expected.

I did a little write-up of my experiences here: http://www.geero.net/2010/03/unity-ipho ... ities.html

Obligatory screenshot for no apparent reason:
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Interesting...
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
christo

Postby christo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Playing with my xna engine and indexed bitmaps(custom color palettes). So far it been very difficult going as GDI++ does not support indexed bitmaps at all. fortunately xna doesn't seem to have this problem so my character images are working perfectly with 4bpp palettes. My background image is another story. While color wise it would reduce down to 4bpp as well I can not because it has to be processed through GDI++ for the time being for some code involving graphics paths to cut pieces out of it. I have tried to do various runtime conversions but almost all of them have failed. The support is simply not there. During all this I also find out that my graphics card does not support 24 bit graphics.

From here I will probably either make some custom graphics thing to do the indexed bitmaps like I want or work on something like a text display or making sure that characters deal with key commands during collisions.
muadib

Postby muadib » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 am

I just passed the 80,000 word mark on my novel "God of the Slaves: Bringer of War". I am looking forward to getting this finished and making some necessary revisions. I got some good feedback and plan on implementing that.

Peace,
~Kris
Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Blacko wrote:
Brandon wrote: Hey Blacko, that is pretty awesome. If I might ask... what did you use to render it with?
You may lol, it was just modelled and rendered in Blender. Just with the internal render + some well placed lights, then rendered vid's put them together in vegas and made them fade to the next. No Pov Ray or anything like that (haven't got around to learning to render prop yet, not interested in it)
Fantastic, it's really nice work! I sent you a PM with a technical question (as to not hijack the thread!)
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Well, here is a picture of a boss character for a game that my wife and I have been working on:

The creature is called "Philistine":
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:02 am

My birthday was yesterday and I got a whole bunch of comics and how-to-draw books. The comics included volumes 1-3 of the Archangels: The Fall comics. Also, Stephen Downer gave me a Tom Sawyer graphic novel and an "Action! Cartooning" book by Ben Caldwell.

Hmm, maybe I should be blogging about this.

New updates coming to LightningToons next month! Stay tuned!!
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 am

The ArchAngel comic books are pretty sweet. I should know, it has me written all over it.

Nice model, Brandon! Very evil looking.
Q.E.D.
Brandon

Postby Brandon » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the compliments! :)
mikale

Postby mikale » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:13 pm

ArchAngel, I didn't know you were credited in the ArchAngel comics! (although it seems a little obvious) Cool anyway, though!

So I am leaning to draw superheroes. I did some good heads Monday night. Give me a month or so and I might be all the way down to the torso! It's a lot different then the regular cartoony-style which I am used to. But it's super awesome. I'll have to get some comics done this year.

iPhone game dev has temporarily stopped. I am focusing on some other projects, including an update to my website, LightningToons.com.

Go comics! Go Calvin and Hobbes! Three cheers for the ozone layer! Hey, Mark Twain is a pseudonym! That's just way too cool.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:12 am

I wasn't. it just has "Archangel" written all over the covers and stuff. :P
Q.E.D.
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 am

This week I have been busy filling up a project wiki, writing out character descriptions so that my concept artist can get on with designing what they all look like. Kind of fun and kind of tedious, both at the same time! I'm hoping that I can finally post some of the environment concepts soon too - still waiting for final colour versions.
Dagur Dragon

Postby Dagur Dragon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm

For the past few months I have been working on a small side project in my spare time. Well, its not so much a project but just a level, which I originaly designed on paper. I wanted to make the level in Blender and improve my skills with the program, and my hope was to eventually figure out Unity 3d and put it in that.

My level is still a wip, and I'm not sure what direction I am going to take it. Also, the textures are just temporary and the lighting isnt so great at the moment.

Orignal design:
http://distractedpear.com/cody/elevation.png[/thumb]

My level:
http://distractedpear.com/cody/elevatio ... .0.1a.html
VisionaryCynic

Postby VisionaryCynic » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I did this for a weekend challenge over at BlenderArtists:

You can follow the link in my signature for a higher resolution.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am

Really quite amazing Visionary.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 am

Nice image, Visionary!

For me, I've been doing a pretty major overhaul of the collision system in my Platformer Starter Kit. I basically ripped it all apart, and have been rebuilding it from the ground up to get rid of a few of the glitches in the old system, as well as to add flexibility that wasn't available in the old system (such as sloped tiles).

It's getting pretty slick now -- can't wait to ship out version 2.0.

--clint
""

._Image
Chaplain

Postby Chaplain » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 am

Latest Edit for Heritage Lost- The White Tower

Bad news!!! The editor I hired will not get back to me so I am stuck re-editing the book for the millionth (feels like) time. Anyway, I am only going to post a little of it. I will post more on my website when I get it up and running. I just switched providers and I don't want to clog up the forums.

Prologue
Trouble at sea
"Furl the sail!" The Captain shouted the order as he fiercely gripped the wheel. His jaw clenched with the strain of keeping the ship pointed into the swells- knowing that if they lost their bearing they would certainly lose their lives. The storm raged on, and the sea hardened captain stood fearlessly against it. He had fought storms before- had stood on this very deck as they lashed on him with all their fury- and he wasn’t going to let this one send him to the bottom.

His knuckles turned white as the rain ran in rivulets from off of his weather-beaten hat. Yet with an almost insane grin he cackled and cursed the storm- daring it to bring its best. To see him you would have thought he had lost his mind. But he couldn’t help it, he loved the sea, even when she rose up and punished him for daring to trespass into her watery depths. Lightning struck close by him, the thunder cracked like a cannon as the large swells that surrounded the little ship lit up for a moment- then darkness plunged in again. He leaned his head back and cried out another challenge. For the moment he was winning- for the moment.

He felt the wheel shudder and in response gripped it harder as the ship rose and crested another monstrous wave- time seemed to freeze as the wave passed under it. Then, free of its restraints, the ship plunged downward and crashed into the next swell. The captain collided into the wheel as the ship almost came to a standstill. Down below, water surged across the deck and men were swept off their feet. They fought to grab anything secure. Most found something- a few didn’t. As if in defiance, the ship once again broke through the sea and surfaced. The water receded from the deck as she valiantly fought through the trough and began rising on the next wave.

"Furl the sail!" The Captain shouted the order again- this time in anger. His smile had vanished- his arrogance had been mellowed by the last wave. This storm was different somehow… bigger… alive. He grew more serious, a small tinge of fear began to intrude into his thoughts.

Below on deck, Dieter fought to let go of the railing- but his hands seemed frozen, refusing to release his only link with safety. His eyes widened as he watched where the boiling sky met the watery mountains circling the ship. We can’t survive this! He thought. His hands clutched even tighter as he began to shake. This wasn’t supposed to be happening! He had too much to live for! He fell to his knees and pressed his face up against the wooden rail as a child would his mother. Closing his eyes he thought longingly of home- as if by longing alone he could escape the impending doom.

For a moment he could almost see his home: the table was set, the family was together in the castle, his father was cutting the steaming venisen...

His father! Dieter’s eyes shot open at the familiar memory. What would his father think! Here he was the oldest son, and nobility at that, clutching the railing like a woman! True he wasn’t a sailor, and still not twenty years old, but he wouldn’t die a coward. No-one may ever know what had happened to him, but he would die like a man.

He ripped his unwilling fingers from the railing and began lurching toward the mainsail where a group of sailors wrestled with the canvas. The deck pitched wildly and it was all he could do to keep from being pitched to the deck. He reached the mainsail and found the task almost complete. The sail was furled and all they lacked was to tie it securely. But suddenly, a sudden gust of wind wrenched it from their hands. Dieter was thrown to the deck as the force of the wind filled the sail with a loud snap. He looked on in horror as the ropes holding the white canvas sail to the mast strained until they looked no thicker than his little finger.

Above at the wheelhouse, the captain watched all this as it happened, but there was nothing he could do. The strain was too much. The mast first bent under the strain, and then a few moments later it gave way. At first it seemed to fall in slow motion, and then as it gained momentum it fell faster- finally pitching over the side and crashing into the water. The ship suddenly lurched hard to starboard as the rigging from the snapped mast jerked at their moorings. Again the captain was slammed against the wheel, but this was so sudden he had no time to prepare himself. His forehead rammed into the wood with a spray of blood and bone, then he fell heavily to the wooden planks. He had lost his final fight with the sea.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Chaplain wrote:Anyway, I am only going to post a little of it. I will post more on my website when I get it up and running. I just switched providers and I don't want to clog up the forums.
Don't forget that there is a wiki for just such things:
http://work.christiandevs.com/

Just log in with your forum username/password, and feel free to create a new page for your story:
Heritage Lost

Great story, Chaplain! I like it a lot, and am looking forward to reading more! :) In lieu of a real editor, here are a couple of minor notes:
Chaplain wrote:Then, free of its restraints, the ship plunged downward and crashed into the next swell.
Would "trough" or "valley" be a better word here instead of "swell"? Unless you're talking about plunging through the crest, though it sounds odd to have that come after plunging downwards.
Chaplain wrote:his father was cutting the steaming venisen...
venison
Chaplain wrote:He had lost his final fight with the sea.
Chilling -- I love it. :)

--clint
""

._Image
Chaplain

Postby Chaplain » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks for the help! I went to the link and created a page then posted the rest of the prologue. Feel free to critique' it! I think I could look at it a thousand times and never see the problems anymore. Anyway, thank you for catching those mistakes.

http://work.christiandevs.com/w/index.p ... r:Chaplain

Chaplain
Lava

Postby Lava » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 pm

These are screens of a really old project that I've recently dug up and have been having a little fun in updating: