Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

RockinRickOwen

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby RockinRickOwen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Can't really "show" anyone what I'm working on, but I can share...

Right now, working on my dream MMO design, I'm working on the geology of the fantasy land. The idea is that different areas have different natural resources, just as our own real life world does. For instance, ancient Babylonia didn't have any mineral resources, but they had plenty of food--enough to have several crops on the same piece of land each year. By trading or conquest, they could get what they needed to get better weapons. The difficulty is research. I can find out what the natural resources were back in the ancient world, but trying to find out where they came from is a little more difficult, especially when in comes to the Far East and Africa.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will ye also go away?" Then Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God." John 6:67-69
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Great work Nehemius/Dagur Dragon! "The Distracted Pear heroes are victorious!"

@RockinRick: Talk is cheap ;) Is this the super heroes game?
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 pm

YEEEEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured out the linker problem I was having (see several posts back). I've been spending the last two weeks trying to track a link error stating the linker could not resolve std::string. Quick background: I am updating our projects to the new Visual Studio 2010. Our solution would compile fine in Debug and error out in Release.

I did some tests where removing an #include would suddenly make everything fine. Adding the #include back in would cause things to break again. In the process of figuring this out, I had to clean up our headers. I have been moving #include's out of the headers and into the CPP files. Tons of file changes and cleaning up code in the process. But I had to do it to track down which header file was causing this problem.

I was eventually able to narrow things down to certain headers. Once I narrowed things down far enough, I was able to see we have a few classes which derive from std::string. This is a no-no. Rather than deriving, I changed them to have a std::string and everything worked GREAT!
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
JoeJoeZ26

Postby JoeJoeZ26 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Teaching myself C at the advice of a friend. Noob learning code!

Code: Select all

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

/*comments*/
//comments//
int f()
{	
	int a,b,c;
	a=5;
	b=3;
	c=a+b;
	printf("%d+%d=%d\n",a,b,c);
	getchar();
	return 0;
}

int main()
{
	f();

}
Mike

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 am

JoeJoeZ26 wrote:Teaching myself C at the advice of a friend. Noob learning code!

Code: Select all

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

/*comments*/
//comments//
int f()
{	
	int a,b,c;
	a=5;
	b=3;
	c=a+b;
	printf("%d+%d=%d\n",a,b,c);
	getchar();
	return 0;
}

int main()
{
	f();

}

Cool gotta start somewhere
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 am

Blah. Been busy for quite a while...still doing the school thing and the family thing. Grabbed TGB recently and have been working with it...been doing some writing/designing/drawing/etc. Only so much time to fit everything in...maybe I'll get some images up soon :P
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm in that annoying stage where I enjoy good art, and bad art bugs me, but I'm not good enough to produce good art, so I just get irritated at my own work.

PixelJoint runs regular contests, and their latest is called Fantasy Football -- basically making fantasy figures to represent your favorite football (soccer) teams, using this as a base template:

I thought I'd whip up something for Ghana (one of our favorite non-US teams in the Cup), and post it here. I finally got done with the soccer ball, and the rest of it is just roughed out with very rough shading.

Besides the flag, I'm not using any colors (yet) besides what's already in the template. I'm playing around, and just trying to see how far that will get me.

I've spent around 45 minutes on it so far, including the time just doodling and trying to come up with a concept. I was originally going to go with a Cerberus type idea, but quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to draw a single dog head, much less the same one at three different angles. So we're back to Mr. Globby. :) Even so, I feel like I'm working slowly -- but maybe that's how all art feels, I dunno'.

Feedback and criticism is welcome!
""

._Image
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:56 pm

When it comes to art, 45 minutes is fast. It's a great idea, Clint :)

I'm confused about the lighing. It seems to me that he's lit from the back, but then there's the highlight on the bottom which doesn't seem like it should be there at all. And, as I'm sure you know, the face needs work.

God Bless!

Sam
mikale

Postby mikale » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:08 am

Made a quick Google Chrome theme and learned some programming skill along the way: http://bit.ly/csckS0
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:07 am

Thanks for the help and advice, Sam.

I think I put about another hour and a half into it. It would be cool to make him look more gooey or translucent or something, but my initial efforts towards that wasn't encouraging (making him translucent made him look more like a ghost than jello), so I think I'm just going to call this one a release candidate:

Final color count: 30
""

._Image
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:17 am

HanClinto wrote:Image
Looks good!
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
Blacko

Postby Blacko » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:55 pm

My latest 3d model, composed entirely in Sculptris, It's not finished, no where near. But just thought I should upload my progress.

It's meant to be Ifrit, from FF8, though atm I'm only really getting most of the shape done, later is when all the little details will start coming in, then texture. I'm still working on the fingers, so just ignore the wierd curves they have.

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 pm

HanClinto: Huge improvement.
Blacko: I envy your skills.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Blacko

Postby Blacko » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:13 am

Mene-Mene wrote:Blacko: I envy your skills.
Cheers.

Here's the next version, finished sculpting the form.

Then I finished sculpting all the muscles, etc.

Front:

Slightly higher res:

Back:

Slightly higher res:

Reference image I used:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d91/R ... ifrit1.jpg

So Next up I got to texture it and normal map it, etc though unfortunately my computer can no longer handle the model, so I'm going to give it a try on my dad's comp though if that can't, then this is the final version of the model, clocked in at at like 1,400,000 triangles... what a waste lol.

Thinking of Re-topoing it in Blender and then proceeding to make a lower-poly version of it, which I'll then normal map + texture.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:45 am

Blacko: Wow, really nice work. Sculptris looks incredible...but finding information on what it can do is a challenge. Is it just a modeler or can it animate? What formats does it work with - can it import/export?
Blacko

Postby Blacko » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Matthew wrote:Blacko: Wow, really nice work. Sculptris looks incredible...but finding information on what it can do is a challenge. Is it just a modeler or can it animate? What formats does it work with - can it import/export?
I suggest just open the program and fiddle with it yourself, to see what it can and can't do.

It cannot animate.

It can open/save in it's own format, it can import/export in .obj. You can export these files from your own model, "Texmap", "Normal map", "Bump map" and "PSD".

This shows off all the tools I think, though some of the renders of the models are rendered in other programs.
mastallama

Postby mastallama » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:05 pm

I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for several years. About a year ago I started up my own campaign based in Forgotten Realms using D&D 4th Edition. I really enjoy the time I spend building the campaign and encounters but know others that don't have the time to spend. So, I decided to start a website for gaming tips and the like with eventually self-publishing and selling PDFs of my encounters.

It has been a hard road and work got really busy last month, so busy that I wasn't even able to make a blog update during the month. Things are getting back in swing again though and I would like some feedback from the CDN folks on my site too.

You can check out my site here: http://www.wastexgames.com

Thanks,
mastallama
This is my signature. :?
Blacko

Postby Blacko » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Side tracked from my Ifrit project, I'd pretty much finish everything for it low poly version + texture, moved onto a new project. Gonna do an animation, right now modelling the main guy -

High res:
http://img97.imageshack.us/f/headfail.jpg/

I fail at head modelling, texturing and normal mapping D:

I'm going to have to redo/edit the texture + Normal map to fix up some problems that are really bothering me, like the nose, mouth, neck, maybe remodel a ear. The lack of detail in regards to the original mesh was that it's meant to be all low poly, hence the ear = flat with a normal map, though I've got a sub-surf modifier on just to look nicer for close ups atm, till I fix the outstanding issues.

Using both Sculptris (Texturing + Normal map + Bump map) + Gimp (More texturing stuff) + Blender (I need to find a addon renderer to see if I can get better quality renders)

Edit Moar: Darnit Mene-mene, I was gonna get rid of it all till I had the a more "final" version, but nooo you had to comment... lol, still haven't fixed the face, I'll do that tomorrow, other then that, working on the upper body area.

High-res

Anyway, the texture is fine, it's mainly the normal map that makes it look funky for the face, (don't get me wrong, the texture still needs to be fixed) but I'm going to do that at a later day, gonna get all the body done, so for now, face gonna have to do, though i'ma gonna fix that normal map up 1st thing tomorrow, since it's just too ugly.

Double Edit:

Fixed the nose, finished the kevlar (Texture still looks horrible, though tollerable... for now)

Last edited by Blacko on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 am

Model looks good, but the texture map and normal map do look a good bit off.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
JMAC

Postby JMAC » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:36 pm

It's been a while since I've been active on the forums (my last activity had to do with the Proverbs-themed summer speed game) - school's had a way of keeping me occupied with less "game coding" and more "thesis/paper writing" and... FORTRAN.

But within the past few weeks, I've had the itch to get a little game going... I've wanted to try my hand at 3D for a while, so after evaluating a few options I've started a little prototype with Unity, using Blender to model the characters and stages. Not trying to shoot for competing with Halo 4 or anything - I will argue that the PS1/N64-era, flat-shaded, easily-countable polygon models is an art form, the next "retro" look to follow pixel art.

Even though I had gone through the paces of learning DirectX and OpenGL a few years ago (a worthwhile exercise!), I must say I was pleased with letting all that go and letting Unity do all that hard work for me. I've only fought with it a little bit (I have some very specific game-physics I want, so there's still some non-trivial engineering to get the behavior just right), but it was still only a few days to learn the system and get a little platform game environment set up (versus a week or so to slap a few pixels on the screen). The scripting options are also really generous - JavaScript is familiar enough, and it was nice to see C# available.

I'm not sure if this little exercise will produce anything worth distributing, but I'm having plenty of fun tinkering with it!

@Blacko: Definitely impressive work, and that Sculptris looks like an interesting tool. I'll have to recommend it to some of my more artistic friends, see what they can do with it. For myself, I think I gotta stick with the more CAD-style Blender for now... texture mapping/shading are easier when you can count the polygons.