Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 am

Nolz:
Yeah, I'm not saying the picture isn't good, just scale it, crop it, do whatever you like. But, you'll be wanting to match the mood of your game and site. I see that picture and I think of adventure and elves.

The difference between your logo and your background is pretty strong. One is like of learning and ancient libraries, the other is kinda like Narnia and adventure. That's because of how color saturated they are. Sometimes you can't directly affect saturation, sometimes you simply need to take a picture of something else, or on a different day.

A second thing. There's way too much on your home page. For the most part, when possible, keep each page to one page, or two. Now, I understand if you can't, then that makes sense. Like for example on like a scientific journal place, you'll want the entire journal on that page, or a collection of directly related pages. Let the homepage tell only the most relevant information, who you are, vaguely what the game is about or whatever. Then, on another page offer general information on the world, and on each page offer information about the different races.

Third, might i suggest that you back up when big things happen? I'm just sayin that I've had some issues with this in the past.

Fourth, look at sites that are similar to what you want, but at the same time, much easier to navigate and deal with, and load fast. Oh, and nothing flash. :p

Have some fun, I think you could really enjoy this kinda thing.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Nolz

Postby Nolz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 am

Thanks again for the help :) Would you suggest any books/PDFs/Websites on website organization?

I guess I didn't know there was such a difference between the header and background, but now that you say, I guess they do kinda have different feels to them, even though they're supposed to be the same place in the world (Red Forests). I'll try and get another picture up, and shrink it to fit better, too.

Yeah, I've been wondering about there being too much stuff on the homepage as well, but I'm assuming that people could leave and not venture to other pages if I moved the pictures.

I'm also running on limited space (which is pretty pricey to upgrade) for pages, and I need as many pages as possible for the Annals (they will hold all the information about the world and its inhabitants).

I updated the Annals page with a different header. Is that better, or do I need to keep working on it?

And just BTW, Alcryion isn't a game (though it would make a really cool one!), but a world where writers can set their stories in :) So I'm not sure if game websites and writing websites would be different at all, but I thought I'd say just in case.

Anyway, I'm taking up the project thread :) If I have more questions, I'll post in my Alcryion thread in General Help.

Thanks
http://GuyWithBook.com/ <-- My book review website.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:42 am

Well, conquest has been put on hiatus. I got the 3d game programming all in one book and I'm gonna mess around in t3d for a while.

Nolz: Sorry, if I could, I would be using them myself. :)

Personally what I would do is change the background, and re-use the base for the annals header and put relevant text. I'd also darken the "alcryion" text in the header.

You're limited on page count or file size?
M^2 out-
Nolz

Postby Nolz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:22 pm

It says I have 20 MB of free space. I thought that would have to do with pages--am I wrong?

Basically, it's a little over 5 bucks for 50 MB, and it goes up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get working on better graphics :)
Nolz

Postby Nolz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Okay, this post involves what I'm working on, so it fits with the thread :)

Which is better for the website background?

http://img560.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dredfo.jpg" target="_blank

Or

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dredfo.jpg" target="_blank
(Sorry, I don't know why I couldn't get the thumbnails working)
Or should I do something different?
Mike

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Nolz wrote:Okay, this post involves what I'm working on, so it fits with the thread :)

Which is better for the website background?

http://img560.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dredfo.jpg" target="_blank

Or

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... dredfo.jpg" target="_blank
(Sorry, I don't know why I couldn't get the thumbnails working)
Or should I do something different?
Depends on what you are going to do with it - the first one has black and white so what color text would go on there is what I wonder.

The other one is busier but text with a hint of green should look ok.

Would want to see more of the content before I knew for sure.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Nolz: 20 MB has to do with how much space you have. While yes, adding more pages does increase space, text is cheap. Your pages are probably no bigger than 20 kb a piece. Whereas your images (especially big ones like the one for your background) are can take up many megabytes. In short, you probably don't have to worry too much about how many pages of content you have, compared to worrying about how many images you've got. Seems like you could get a better deal for your hosting though.

The first image strikes me as being more consistent. But the second one in more interesting.
M^2 out-
Nolz

Postby Nolz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:39 pm

@Mike

There won't be any text on the images. They're purely backgrounds for the site :)

@Mene

I agree. The first image is just a bigger version of the header except modified a bit and without text. But I like the other one better. I'll do both and see how they look.

And yeah, Forumotion is stinkin' expensive. It's about $17 a year for the domain, too. But I've done a lot of work on it already, and I don't know how to set up a regular forum, especially since I don't have my own server nor know how to run a hosted one. So Forumotion is really the only option for me right now. But it has a lot of features and most of it is free, so I guess I can't complain.

Edit: Whoa, 1600x1200 is way too small. It's tiling like crazy. Gonna have to make it bigger. Edit again: Whoops. Nevermind. the uploader I was using was shrinking it.

Edit once again...: Fixed it, but it's still not quite big enough. Is there any way to center the background? Also, would it be possible for one of you to give me the CSS for no-repeat and where to put it (including the centering, if that's possible)?

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Nolz wrote:
Edit once again...: Fixed it, but it's still not quite big enough. Is there any way to center the background? Also, would it be possible for one of you to give me the CSS for no-repeat and where to put it (including the centering, if that's possible)?

The css - is

background-repeat: no-repeat;
Nolz

Postby Nolz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks, I got it :)

Several updates to the website:

*Removed the greenish-black border from the website. Looks a lot better

*Made the text gray to match the blog--I'll change it if it's too light

*Got the fixed background working. Scroll away; it'll follow :lol:

*The Annals page got updated with several pictures. I moved them from the home page, since the Annals will eventually hold those pictures anyway

And a quick note to the Administrator: The "List=" doesn't seem to be working. Or maybe I just did it wrong... I'm not sure.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm

1. First, you have to type in [ list=1 ]
  2. Then, you have to type in [ * ] and then your item.
  3. Then, type in [ /list ]
  4. no spaces, those were so that it didn't convert a list in my post. ;)
M^2 out-
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Today I started a Maze game called "Maze Phaze!" I lost hope on the RPG and I had this Maze game idea for a while so I decided to start it today! I did a bit on the easy level and I started the portal object! I am using GM6 and I plan to put it on CDN when im done!
Last edited by Diroh on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just got back to programming!
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm

@Diroh, I think it's fantastic that you are cutting back and starting with something small. That's the real path to learning to make games. Stick with it and if you have to cut it down a little smaller again, it's ok. Just finish something. Every small project can be a step towards your goals.

God Bless!
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:01 am

Yeah, just wanted to harmonize with Sam saying, that I'm glad that you, (diroh) are starting small and getting big.

Edit:
2,000th post in the thread... Yeah... Do I get a virtual cookie? Is it virtually delicious?
M^2 out-
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks! (mene-mene and samw3) i havn't been on the computer for a week so nothings done but i am planning on finishing the easy level today! :)

Edit: level easy is complete! :)
Things left to do:
menue screen
level medium
level hard
(Maybe) level extreme :o
credits screen! lol its just me! :D
Last edited by Diroh on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Diroh: Sorry, I'm on a low calorie diet, I'm afraid I'll have to respectfully decline. Or disrespectfully give it to the dog if you force me to... :)

In other news, I'm spending about two hours a day (timed) working on Conquest... I'll post my progress once I'm done for today. (was interrupted for school)
M^2 out-
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

so whats conquest about?
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Well, I'm not too incredibly happy with what I got done today, but it'll do... (kinda has to) I went quite a bit over my time limit, but I was also interrupted in the middle. Nothing can be done about that though.

Diroh:
Conquest is a TBS game I'm making in C++, it's inspired by Civilization 4 and Chess.
M^2 out-
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 pm

oh so like a war game! :)
mastallama

Postby mastallama » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:12 am

Hey everyone, it has been a while since I postd here, but I wanted to give an update! I started a new job yesterday at a software development company here in Houston and things are going great so far. I've spent most of my time installing software on my new computer and this will be my first chance to work with Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010! I'm excited about that for sure! :D

My band Paperanvil has been doing really good. We've had several shows recently and are booking all over town now. We have a show this Saturday and another already scheduled in January. We're saving our money and have started looking into recording studios to try and cut an actual demo with a more studio quality sound than we can do on the hobby recording equipment we have.

My Dungeons & Drgaons campaign has been going strong, we increased our game sessions from once a month to twice a month and the players are about to head into the Orc's stronghold disguised so they can get in close to the Orc leader. You can check out our adventure log at http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ ... corporated - I'm about 4 session behind on updating it though.

I've also still been playing with the Arduino microcontrollers. A friend of mine and I are working on a robot but building other smaller machines as we test out theories for the robot's design. For example, we're currently working on a machine that will play the guitar as a way to test our Adruino bus communication design.

All in all, I've been pretty busy :)
This is my signature. :?