Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Post updates of what you've been working on, make your development announcements, etc.

Moderator: samw3

brandav

Re: Talk is Cheap! Post what you're working on.

Postby brandav » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks mikale. Have you already made the game?
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Yeah, it's on Android now and hitting the App Store this week.

So I participated in Ludum Dare 29. I helped with art and animation for this game:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=34168

brandav

Postby brandav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Ah nice man! I need to make more games!! What ever happened to the monthly speed challenges? I'm getting rusty.. er..
muadib

Postby muadib » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:24 am

Been honing my skills with Unity using a 2D retro-RPG style game. Using the fruit of the spirit for character attributes. Already learned quite a bit about putting this kind of game together. All sprites and images are public domain. It took a bit of an internet search, but this public domain site is really great for getting assets together for a quick game (http://opengameart.org/).

Kris Murray - Aspiring Game Developer
The Reason - Winner of CDN Speedgame 2014 "Best Christian Teaching"
Gates of Mansoul - Project Lead and Lead Programmer

Violinist/Violist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-98MFIbXfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWGLb57zbz8
thejambi

Postby thejambi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey all.. Check this out! I've been working with a friend on a unique musical spin on 2048 and we just got featured on a pretty popular site. http://kotaku.com/musical-2048-is-a-mar ... 1605605000

And we want to get to work on an iPhone app for it (Android app is available now!) but we need to get this Kickstarter funded for iPhone to happen. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/98 ... -2048-game
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 pm

jambi, that's amazing! I got to 99.26%, and although I understand the idea of a fifth, tbh, I had no idea what the next note I would hit. I just knew that I wanted to keep on combining notes and making beautiful sound.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
God at play

Postby God at play » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah nice work jambi. Although the first couple times I tried to visit your site (shortly after you posted), it timed out loading.

It was really interesting and fun! I guess for me, I would feel weird ethically actually making money from the game, since the design is based on a clone of a clone and it's really hard on the Threes developers emotionally to have that happen to them. Full disclosure, one of the two devs Greg was a former dev partner of mine, so I guess I'm more sensitive to this issue. It's something to consider; I can see the other side as well.
thejambi

Postby thejambi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, it may have timed out as my friend needed to switch/upgrade his server. It's working great now!

As far as making money on this, the Kickstarter isn't to make money (we need a Mac so I can make the app.. so if you look at our goal, you know we aren't making money off it). We definitely wouldn't have done this if it were a just a clone. The point is to be educational: My friend (a composer) had the idea after seeing 2048 to use the Circle of Fifths as the tile progression to make a fun way of learning the circle of fifths, giving the game an educational/music theory twist, so we created it. And it's evolved into a game that feels very different. And if we do earn anything, it's because it's different - as you play, your low tile changes, it is possibly infinite, etc. And the audio is an incredible addition. And, it works - I can rattle off the circle of fifths in an instant :)

It's pretty awesome that it's getting attention. I hope it draws people to my friend's other educational/musical games. Our ear training game, Upbeat Bird (which is the same sort of idea as the Circle of Fifths - like another game but with an educational musical twist - it's like Flappy Bird but actually helps you learn the skill of musical timing), and a new one he's making called Rudiment Rock-It.
God at play

Postby God at play » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah Kotaku coverage is awesome, congrats. Keep making these edu-music games. You're on to something
Dlange

Postby Dlange » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:24 am

Some promo art and a tutorial for our upcoming game OH NO Volcano!

As development progressed on ONV, I started pushing the look towards something more unique. I'm a huge fan of neo retro and a lot of the promo stuff adopted a stylish vintage aesthetic.

Check out more retro, and other, promo art at our pinterest page http://www.pinterest.com/OHNOVolcano/the-art-of-oh-no-volcano/

http://www.ohnovolcano.com
God at play

Postby God at play » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:58 am

Dlange wrote:Some promo art and a tutorial for our upcoming game OH NO Volcano!

Great job Dlange! Especially with the colors in the grid there, and even its aesthetic. I dig that :)
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:33 am

That promo is very premium, as they say.
--

Dlange

Postby Dlange » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 am

Thanks @God at Play, I had fun exploring the aesthetic of ONV.

I checked out That Dragon, Cancer, looks like a cool project. I like how it evolved from an art piece into something more.
BlckHdGrl

Postby BlckHdGrl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:44 am

Just created a few pixel sprites for my game Descent. It's my first ever game project and I'll be using Game Maker. The aim is to lead a Diver Dave as far into the depths as possible, whilst dodging and defending against a variety of deep sea creatures. Keeping it as simple as possible as this is a learning experience for me. Here's link to the first sprite designs,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k75yaa161sxv8 ... 1.png?dl=0

:)
mikale

Postby mikale » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:25 am

Really awesome work, BlckHdGrl
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

Very sensible approach to game making, plus fun sounding game already, despite its simplicity.
BlckHdGrl

Postby BlckHdGrl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks mikale - I needed that d :) b

and thanks bugala - i try :)
x
BlckHdGrl

Postby BlckHdGrl » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:36 am

Set up a dev blog if anyone wants to watch me blunder through :)

http://blckhdsgamedev.blogspot.co.uk
Last edited by BlckHdGrl on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dlange

Postby Dlange » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:11 am

BlckHdGrl,

I look forward to following along.

I like how the game is inspired by real nautical adventures. Does the diver have a backstory? Have you considered affecting a vintage aesthetic for parts of the design, to harken to that golden age of adventure? Sort of a 20,000 leagues under the sea thing.
BlckHdGrl

Postby BlckHdGrl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:21 am

Thanks Dlange, I'm glad to be of interest.

I like how the game is inspired by real nautical adventures. Does the diver have a backstory? Have you considered affecting a vintage aesthetic for parts of the design, to harken to that golden age of adventure? Sort of a 20,000 leagues under the sea thing.

I would love to develop the idea further and give the game a proper context but unfortunately that's a bit out of my league just now (pun intended :D) I'm just trying to learn GameMaker and the diver is essentially me taking the plunge.

However, I have sketched up an image for the start menu which follows the vintage aesthetic. It will be entirely pixelated of course which I think'll give it a pleasant quirkiness.

I'll be posting it on the Blog when I've had more time to develop it.

Thanks for following :)