Request Forum Posting Rules and Regulations [Game Projects]

Have a project that needs help or have a opening on your team? Post it here!

Moderator: samw3

CDNAdmin
Site Admin

Request Forum Posting Rules and Regulations [Game Projects]

Postby CDNAdmin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Welcome to the Help Wanted: Games part of CDN.

This section of the forums is dedicated purely for game development only. If your request is non-game development related please post it in the Help Wanted: General forum. If you post a non-game development related thread in here it will be moved or deleted without notification.

Starting Off:
First off, please read the CDN Rules and Guidelines thread and make special note to the 'General Posting Guidelines' section with the 'Properly Post' note. We want to have this request forum clean and easily readable.

Is this a PAID, POSTPAID or UNPAID collaboration?
You MUST put a [PAID], [POSTPAID], [UNPAID], or [ADVICE] notice before you put your subject name.
  • Use [UNPAID] if the work is volunteer, an unpaid internship, or any other situation which is requesting unpaid help.
  • Use [PAID] if the the work has a hourly rate, and upfront payment, or an legal contract for payment upon completion.
  • Use [POSTPAID] if there is no upfront money for the work, and no legal contract. Also use this option if you will be sharing a percentage of the future profits with the worker.
  • If you just need advice on something, then put [ADVICE].

Naming your Subject:
What do you need help with? Do you need advice or something specific? Name exactly what you need in the subject line, as an example:

[ADVICE]: Problems with PHP Script
[PAID]: Require Programmer for Website
[PAID]: Looking for Freelance Artist for Application
[UNPAID]: Need Music, Art and Programming for GAMEX/RTS (name of game and genre)

Ready to Post:
So you've now narrowed down who you're looking for and now it makes it a lot easier for interested people to find your thread. You're ready to post your needs to the online world, however there's things you must keep in mind. First off, you're trying to attract people for their assistance, having the best presentation would draw them in the best. It doesn't matter if it's a PAID, UNPAID or even an ADVICE request, having a poor presentation turns people off and in the end they don't really need you. You're more or less trying to sell them on your concept, so keep it as presentable and attractive as possible.

Recommended Suggestion for Posting:
For the sake of an example, lets pretend that I'm enamored with the concept of a MMOG (massively multiplayer online game), I have a great idea that I want to scream to the world. The only problem is that while I have a great idea, right now I don't have a talented bone in my body (or I'm at least attempting to find them) and I need to enlist the help of my fellow man.

The only problem is that everyone seems to have the same idea, everyone wants to create some life changing blockbuster World of Warcraft killing MMOG! How can I get the edge over everyone else to at least even stimulate some interesting feedback?

First off, I need to completely understand what I'm attempting to do. I should first go to Google and seriously research the amount of work needed to build my project. This way I can show people that I'm serious about the project and I understand the risk and work involved. I should detail out exactly what the project needs art wise, down to the last detail, along with all the gameplay elements involved, even the basic, boring regular stuff, like walking in the world, must be detailed out. I should spend AT LEAST THREE MONTHS of dedicated research and design work, EVERY DAY, before posting a thread.

Next, I need to ask myself: What's going to make my game so much more special than other games. Just having a 'Christian MMORPG' isn't going to be enough, even if it's some mashup of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars! I need an interesting concept and gameplay hooks! Something that people could understand easily.

Alright, I've figured out what I want to make: a social network based MMO where players constantly harass their friends and add random people they don't even know to join their church run farm supplied cafes, set in a fantasy universe that has a split futuristic alterverse! The hook is that I'll deliver a quick burst of rewarding experiences for the players and then make the following challenges more difficult. The flashy experience upgrades, along with the customization and humanity natural thirst for competition and conquering will make this a big hit! I'm going to call my game the Social Unity eXchange!

Now I just need to make a nice, clean presentation that would interest people!

Required Template for Request Posting
This template will dramatically reduce the amount of needless questions that will fill your thread and not get you the help you need. Remember, since I'm starting from the ground up with no venture capital, but I would like everyone to profit when the game is finished my subject should be: [UNPAID] Need Music, Art and Programming for SUX!/Social Network MMO.

LOGO:
This should be the logo of your company or the group you represent. If it's just you then you can skip to the REQUEST INFORMATION part and post the CONTACT INFORMATION at the bottom.

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Your Groups Website
Your Email

REQUEST INFORMATION:
I'm looking for a Programmer, Artist and Sound Artist to help me with my game: Social Unity eXchange!

GAME INFORMATION: (keep this as short as possible describing the basics of the game)
SUX! is a social networking MMO that can run separately and also ties into Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. Players have Church run Farms that supply fresh veggies, meat and other goods to their intown Cafes and help people in their community with doing food drives and other events! I have a full design document detailing out what the player does from logging into the world to obtaining everything they can in the world, plus suggestions for further expansion. People interested in the project can contact me for this design document.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR:
Here you post what conceptual drawings you done detailing out some of the more interesting key elements of the game. Each image should have a very brief and informative description. There's a ton of free image hosting sites online, when you post your images make sure that they're thumbnail sized with a link to a larger version. You don't have a scanner? Then you should go out and buy one, if you expect people to dedicate their time and their resources for you, then you should at a minimum sacrifice and dedicate equal or more time and resources as they do. Don't have a job or are too young to work? Then get a job doing something, get the money and dedicate it to your project. Don't expect people to do all the work for you, it's your job, as the designer, to detail out everything for them to follow. So they can turn your poor drawing into a work of art.

INFORMATION ON ME: (ask yourself these questions and post the results)
Do you have any game development experience? What is your talent with game design? Does your experience using your talent represent finished, released titles? If this is your first game title, with no previous experience, then maybe you should clear your mind and think of a very very simple project to work on that you have a much greater chance on succeeding in and releasing.

All Done!
Now post your thread and wait for the comments to come in. Answer any questions clearly, if your thread doesn't generate a lot of attention then don't get discouraged. Keep on working on detailing out the design, doing more art and making take a peek at what you could do programming wise. Update your thread with large non-textual based design updates. Do not 'bump' your thread by posting a 'anyone interested?' 'bump!' or any non-content based updates. This will show that you're actively working on the project, that you're dedicated and truly want to see it completed.

SUPPORT OTHER DEVELOPERS:
While your at it, you should look at supporting other developers with released titles. You should AT LEAST own ONE currently released Christian game. A great website to find Christian games is: CGNOW.COM. Buy other developers games to help them take the next step in their development effort! Remember, we're all in this together and we should support each other in whatever ways we can!

TL;DR Version: If you didn't read, understand and post according to the rules above we (as in the Admins) may delete your thread without any warning and point to this thread for you to recreate it.

Return to “Help Wanted”