A calling

Have a project that needs help or have a opening on your team? Post it here!

Moderator: samw3

HeyPenguin

A calling

Postby HeyPenguin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Hey guys,

I'm just writing here as I'm really desperate to get a band together to make some real games with real values. I'm blessed with 5+ years industry experience where I've worked with companies such as Sega, Disney, Activision and Warner Bros, and I got a wide variety of platform experience; PS3, XBOX 360, PC, Wii, WiiU, 3DS, DS, Android and iOS. Now I'm currently employed as a Lead Artist on a Nintendo project, and outside that, I also help out where I can with art for Hillsong and Fellowship Church (London) in my spare time.

I've been praying for new doors to open and I'm hoping to find like-minded people who are keen to in some way or another to honour the Lord in developing quality games. I have a dream of working in a studio that is also a place of worship - creating everything from educational games to edgy and raw experiences like the Bible is.

If this is you, please get in touch!

Acts 10:36 tells us the Lord is Lord of all - this also includes the games industry.
bugala

Re: A calling

Postby bugala » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:29 am

There is this extremely good graphics artist guy here, Brownboot, dig him out and pm him, im not sure if he keeps reading these forums anymore, but PM might reach his Email box too and hence he notice it.

Another thought that comes to my mind (not spiritually, just by erathly logic) would be to contact left behind games, their main page seems to be down for maintenance, but at least this one gave me website:
http://www.leftbehindgames.com/Product.php

They might still have muscle (financing) to produce a high quality game.

That company started with the idea of starting to produce A quality christian games and they had some pretty tought guys there from Electronic Arts etc. but as the first game (Left Behind - based upon the christian book and movie serie of same name) failed, at that point lot of them dropped out of the company and i guess it even barely survived. However, they have continued up to this day, and I quess nowadays they are making sensible business, although not in the level they were hoping to. But because of the roots, they might still have interest and muscle for A quality game if opportunity (like perhaps you) knocks the door loud enough.

Another ones I could suggest of contacting are makers of Adams Venture:
http://www.adams-venture.com/

Developer is Vertigo Games Inc.

I dont think they have too many people there, but they do have skills it seems. Personally I think they have made so far the best looking Christian Game (Adams Venture serie), and although it does look very nice, and I did like a lot playing that game, it is nowhere near Super Mario or anything gamewise however.

Perhaps with your leading experience and their skills, you could get a christian game done that is both good looking as well as very much fun to play.
HeyPenguin

Postby HeyPenguin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Thank you tons for the tips - much appreciated.

I just dropped Brownboot an email. His work looks great.

Both Vertigo Games and Left Behind Games looks interesting as well. I guess it doesn't hurt sending them an email as well.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Came one more guy to my mind, there is this P1xl group: http://www.p1xl.com/

And there is this man called Robin Harbron, in this forum he uses, if i correctly remember, RobinH as hes name, he is also very often hanging on CDN IRC channel as well, so you could contact him even through there and talk with him for a while.

He tends to do these pixel age games, and as far as i have understood, it seems that he have been the one doing the parts that have made some of P1xls speedgame (yearly competition on CDN) entrys real good through level design.

You could for example check Sam Washburns and Robin Harbrons game 4NR from here: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3578 ... index.html

As far as i remember, Harbron was the one who did the level design, and in my opinion, he did pretty good job on that. Very simple game, yet there is quite much variation in there, and not to mention, that since it was Speedgame entry, he had only limited time to keep testing and changing it.

It seems he has pretty good touch for small gameplay details like that as far as i have been discussing and understanding what he have done.

But could he make something like level for Super Mario Galaxy, or make gameplay suggestions to make Mario even better? I have no idea, it is possible hes skills are restricted to pixel age. Perhaps you contact and decide yourself if he would be good asset to your game team or not.
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 am

I don't have any money, but I have a project that needs an artist involved - Old Testament Adventures

The idea is a 2D stylised cartoony point and click adventure game based around Bible stories. I've written the puzzles and the dialog for the first act of the game, and I have some basic concept art for it all - it just needs somebody with some talent to do tackle it in a consistent style
al_dev

Postby al_dev » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

HeyPenguin,

Where are you based?
Would be interested in chatting further with you. I'm a Unity developer based in UK.
;)
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:11 pm

Now that Andy Geers popped up, to me personally hes game in development is the Christian game I am most eagerly waiting - which reminds me *kicks Geers butt".

And He is such a fellow, that it would be easy for me to believe that hes game is actually good one and well thought and that he wont settle for anything good or even excellent for christian game, but something that really needs to be on par with rest of the games too.

I would actually point out that you could consider use your experience and gather a team to finish hes game. It could be good practice game.

For main problem with his game is that it is Point´c´click adventure game, which means it wouldnt have that wide appeal that i believe you are looking for, but on the other hand, its good point is exactly being point´n´click adventure, which also means that its audience is very easily reached and perhaps even interested in giving it a try.

I would also imagine that for skilled people, it is quite easy to make a good point´n´click adventure game, since basically all you need is mediocre puzzles with good graphics, and its already good. And if puzzles happen to be good, then even better!

I also guess most of the work on that game is already done, which would also make it quite straightforward to finish it as i guess mainly it is to do with graphics stuff anymore.

Geers also lives in London so if you live there too (not sure from your message where you referred to Hillsong London) then you can go and meet him physically, and if you need help in kicking his lazy butt to work after project have started and he starts stalling, I can contribute by ordering plane ticket to come and kick it with you.
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:52 am

bugala wrote:Geers also lives in London so if you live there too (not sure from your message where you referred to Hillsong London) then you can go and meet him physically, and if you need help in kicking his lazy butt to work after project have started and he starts stalling, I can contribute by ordering plane ticket to come and kick it with you.
I hadn't even noticed that you were in London, HeyPenguin! That's cool - we should definitely talk!

And yes, bugala, naturally it is just because I am lazy that I haven't finished it :) I've not been remotely busy doing anything else in all this time!
HeyPenguin

Postby HeyPenguin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies and tips guys - great to see things are buzzing!

I am indeed based in London and it would be awesome if you could PM me your email addresses if you're cool to have a chat.

P1xl games are looking (and sounding!) very nice. Cool indie games and a great homage to a lot of classics. Andy's Old Testament Adventures sounds really great as well. I'd love to hear more about it. I had a look at the youtube video - it was nice to get some insight to your spirit and brain, and I think we're very much on the same page.

However, I think what I've been called to do is a bit more complicated. I really feel compelled to gather a group of very talented Christian developers, with the mindset of creating high quality mass market games that are also Christian. While I'm down with pixel art and point'n click adventures, and there is a big demographic for both, my focus right now is really on mass market games with a very broad demographic. The game industry as a whole is very barren, and it's not enough to appeal just to one demographic. We need to plant many seeds.

Like I just told Allen in an email, in a nutshell I have been called gather a bunch of guys to create not only a good Christian game, but an outstanding game(s) that will rock and divide this industry. A colossal goal, but I really believe we can move some mountains.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 pm

andygeers wrote: I've not been remotely busy doing anything else in all this time!
Exactly my point! *kick*

Which reminds me, next time you make a kickstarter, you should make one of the donation options that for every pound they give on that tier, will make you work for one minute on New Testament Adventures.
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Hey

I'm working on a game, Resolute Child. I don't know if its the sort of game your thinking of, but perhaps I can pick your brain about a few things?

Also, I'm prepared to throw in with someone else if I'm sold on their idea. As I see things its better to form a small strong team than work apart.

btw Andy, I too am most eagerly awaiting Ebenezer.
PhoenixFire

Postby PhoenixFire » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:54 pm

HeyPenguin wrote:I've been praying for new doors to open and I'm hoping to find like-minded people who are keen to in some way or another to honour the Lord in developing quality games. I have a dream of working in a studio that is also a place of worship - creating everything from educational games to edgy and raw experiences like the Bible is.
It's nice to meet you, it sounds like our visions have a lot in common! Eventually working in a studio with that kind of environment has been a dream of mine for a long time!
TheLittleSettler wrote:I'm working on a game, Resolute Child. I don't know if its the sort of game your thinking of, but perhaps I can pick your brain about a few things?

Also, I'm prepared to throw in with someone else if I'm sold on their idea. As I see things its better to form a small strong team than work apart.
I was just about to point you to this guy, but it looks like he beat me to it. Seriously though, give his design a read, pretty compelling stuff, and as far as I can tell at the moment, he's probably the closest to your/our vision you're going to find.
And the Lord answered me and said, Write the vision...For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. Habakkuk 2:2-3
brandav

Postby brandav » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 pm

HeyPenguin, I also share a dream to work on games in a Christian environment. I believe both educational and Christian games have a lot of untapped potential, and I'd really like to work on these types of games with others who share similar visions.

Your goals are really inspiring, but the scope and scale of these mass market games expose publishers and investors to a lot of financial risk. As of now, there is really no proof that this type of game will be successful, so it is a very risky endeavor. Finding a large team of highly-talented individuals willing to take on this enormous task could prove to be very difficult without financial backing already in place.

You’re right that the game industry is pretty barren. The Christian game genre doesn’t have a strong, positive identity yet, but I believe that will change over time. Right now there are not enough developers experimenting and innovating in the genre, because there is not enough proven success to justify the time and money needed to create high-quality games. It’s a catch-22.

Progress is made with small steps. Small successes pave the way for larger successes. We still haven’t been able to create many small successes, so in my opinion, it might be a little premature to strive for the AAA-type titles that are marketed to the masses.

I don’t want to stop you if you feel like God is leading you to do this. It will be really tough, but my hat will certainly be off to you if you are able to pull this type of game off. I’ll also definitely be in line for the game :)

Here are some of my thoughts on what could give a Christian game mass appeal.

A few years ago, Polygon published an interesting article on the state of Christian games.
HeyPenguin

Postby HeyPenguin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks for swift the replies guys. Love it.

Resolute Child is looking cool and engaging, and I think using your own testimony is definitively a very valid way of reaching people. It would be great to know more about it and try it out.

Thanks bdmccowan for your thoughts - While I understand and agree with where you're coming from, I really feel like this is something that has to be done. I can only speak from my own experiences in how the Lord has done the unlikely and paved the way in my life and career, and now I'm genuinely compelled to see this through. Hoping for great things to happen - not so much through the efforts of my hands, but rather God's hand on us.

It's awesome to hear everybody's ideas and recommendations and getting a peek at your projects; lots of good thoughts and I think broadly speaking we're all singing the same tune. However, being a bit pragmatic about how to approach this, it would be great if anyone who feel like this is speaking to you could drop me a PM with your email. I'd love to know more about you and see if we could get a small band together for a chat.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:31 am

And another, or actually even two came to my mind.

First is musician. Thre have been in this forum username KC09, she might not be here anymore, since at least she havent been writing anything, but there was this other website they put up for christian artists where she might still be looking at (that forum was pretty dead last time i checked).

Anyway, she is actually one of the best game musicians i have noticed when it comes to getting the right feeling music to the game.

You can hear her work for example on Rom12s speedgame entry: Vanguard on Speedgame 2012:
http://talk.christiandevs.com/viewtopic ... 5&start=20

Then another one that comes to my mind. is this guy who used to be here and used Superman as hes avatar. I cant remember his name, it was maybe rickrock or seomthing like that. Point with him is that he had this ultimate dream of making MMO game, and while he had no idea how to ever get it done, he was anyway making plans for it that he was sharing here. One of the examples that he did was to create a language system which can be used to make computer generate new languages that seem like real ones.

One example of that language was that he based the start of languages on thought that most times the first sounds that start coming out are ma and pa, which he therefore used to be basis for mother and father words and from that it would start making up the rest of the language with similar kind of logics, but making different languages.

Depending what you decide to start making, he could have some insight to some things, for while hes MMO plans sounded completely unreasonable from getting actually done,which he himself admitted too, they sounded pretty good and well thought. By unreasonable to get done, i refer to point that he wasnt owner of company behind WOW or something. Hes game plans were doable, just not without big company behind it.

Plus, I think he lived somewhere in England.

But contact at least KC09, she will be very good addition to your team, and you can perhaps offer her some jobs even in your current non christian games. For you do need musics for them.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 am

That musician I mentioned, you can find her from:
http://morgancasey.com/music/
HeyPenguin

Postby HeyPenguin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am

Thank you very much for the tips and her website. All sounds great and I've added it to my list. Good stuff.