[PAID/UNPAID] Looking for an opportunity and help.

Have a project that needs help or have a opening on your team? Post it here!

Moderator: samw3

JediKnight83

[PAID/UNPAID] Looking for an opportunity and help.

Postby JediKnight83 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I am currently trying to find a job in game design and development. I have a B.S. in Simulation, Animation, and Gaming which I received in 2010. Over the past few years, I have also been a teacher and have acquired a Louisiana teaching certification. I have been working on designing an RPG called Knight-Storm and in serious need of help of all kinds. So if you would like to invest in the experience of a new game designer [Need a paying position] or are willing to aid in the dream that is Knight-Storm [this would obviously be unpaid], please let me know. I have skills in a little of everything, though I only have access to a couple of resources.
brownboot

Re: [PAID/UNPAID] Looking for an opportunity and help.

Postby brownboot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 am

Entry level design jobs don't exist, you're going to have to get in with another skillset.
--

JediKnight83

Postby JediKnight83 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:53 pm

What kind of skills sets and where could I go or who would I get involved with to build these skills sets?
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:02 pm

What kind of skills sets and where could I go or who would I get involved with to build these skills sets?
Every other skill involved in making a game is more valuable than being a designer when it comes to getting a job.

Designer's Notebook: How to Get Started in the Game Industry: Part I by Ernest Adams

Designer's Notebook: How to Get Started in the Game Industry: Part II by Ernest Adams

Classic Gamasutra articles^

Other tips in no particular order; read Gamasutra a few times a week (articles, blogs, and jobs board), look at major storefronts every day (steam, app store, google play), follow devs on twitter (and read the smart one's blogs, cliffski's and dan cook's are really good), read articles that get retweeted (don't treat kotaku or news outlets as good barometers of anything)

Further, you live in an age in which everything you need to create and publish a game is entirely (or very nearly) free. The internet probably has a youtube video telling how to do any step you don't know how to do (if you can't just buy it from the asset store).
--