Fifty Cent Games

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Fifty Cent Games

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 am

Something has been rolling around in my head for a while... Fifty Cent Games...

If you guys haven't played Doom of Dantooine, or Mysterious Angel I highly suggest you do to get a taste of the type and size of game.

Obviously I'd need to use my own licensed property (I have no problem with that, I've got at least two storylines in mind already) but selling games for fifty cents a piece like that... I could probably make four of those games in a year and still have free time to do whatever. (Art, improve EoN, add a new GUI for EoN, read, buy real estate, whatever)

I calculated that (forgetting taxes) about 6,000 people would be needed that bought all four games that came out... Because I figure 6,000 people, $.50, 4 games... $12,000 a year... That's a LOT of money when it comes to the amount of work required.

How hard would it be?
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
samw3
Site Admin

Re: Fifty Cent Games

Postby samw3 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:02 am

You've got another problem, however. How are you going to collect the $0.50? If you use PayPal, for every credit card transaction they take 2.9% + $0.30 USD for any transaction under $3,000. So that comes to $0.31.. leaving you $0.19. And needing 63,158 uses to hit your $12,000 mark.

A possible way to get around this is to offer a credits system. Where they purchase in a higher quantity and use credits towards games, but then again, that means they will have to purchase more and might not be willing to do so.

God Bless!
Sam
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:21 am

Ohhhh, I thought we were talking about the games starring "50 cent". You can find those suckers EVERYWHERE.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 am

Well, I guess i'd really only need the $1,200 mark... 6,316 games a year... 1,579 people...

Still, I'd need to find a more efficient way... Perhaps have a network... Sell copies to people, they can resell... But that would take another chunk and massively increase the number of required copies.
M^2 out-
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:45 am

Kongregate recently added handling of micro-payments to the game developers with a system called Kreds -- basically it's a "tip jar" that allows plays to dump micro-payments into the game creator's account, either as a way of saying "thanks for a great game" or to buy specific power-ups or whatnot in the game itself.

This may or may not be relevant to your thinking.

--clint
""

._Image
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 am

I'm looking to attract all those lost and hopeless teens who have no job, and no money and no games that they like...

Oh wait that's me.
M^2 out-
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 am

It's cool to see people proactively thinking about *how* to generate income (and sharing information).
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 am

With a 50c game, the matter is no longer the price, but a convenience to pay. Will the person be willing to get his paypal account up to buy a 50c game? Probably the same as getting a $1 game.

But, keep in mind, you're going to have compete with the freeware crowd, which gives their games out for free. And they get quite good at it, too. The price is very low, but you'll need to provide people a reason to open their wallet at all.

I'm not saying the ideas a flop, just some more factors to consider. The idea of ultra cheap games are appealing.
Q.E.D.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:25 pm

Any suggestions for streamlining it?
M^2 out-
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Paypal is the most streamlined way I can think of now.

What if you create an online "arcade." Like a portal, but your own games( or maybe other developers who join your team." Let the person buy a batch of tokens, such as 1,5,10,25, etc. Small games can be bought with 1 token (and either downloaded or played online, and maybe some bigger games, if you want, will cost more tokens.

EDIT: maybe even allow tokens be used to purchase in game items for some of the big games.
Q.E.D.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 pm

First you'd have to sign up giving out information, then you'd have to pay for tokens... Then you'd have to use those tokens to buy a game... kinda drawn out...
M^2 out-
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:06 pm

It seems that any way you cut it is going to be a process, whether special bank accounts, pay pal, credit cards, or mailing in money.

So, maybe look at the easiest way (which everybody says is pay pal) and then figure out what "payoff" is bigger than the process of signing up for pay pal.

The tokens idea is really cool, because you're actually creating a form of currency. So, providing people with other uses for that currency makes it more appealing.

But most teens aren't going to go to all the trouble. If the "payoff" is big enough for them, they'll be going to their parents to set up a token account.

Maybe targeting Grandmas and Parents is the way to go. First thing that comes to my mind is a sort of "gift savings" or "college fund" type of thing, where every time the game is played, 50 cents is put into a college fund or some other fund, and you receive a few pennies for the service.

This is a long way from "simple." I can't think of any simple marketing plan, off the top of my head.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Paypal means parents, parents = delays, delays = caution, caution = less purchases.

I'm thinking of perhaps having a contacts system. I sell games to a person, who can then resell them at $.50 taking a share, and I take a share.

So say for example, I take a 10% premium, they can take up to 10% premium.
Round 1: 20 copies, $10 cost, $0.50 a piece, $10 for me.
Round 2: 16 copies, $12 cost, $0.75 a piece, $1 for me, $11 for them.
Round 3: 12 copies, $14.40 cost, $1.20 a piece, $1.2 for me, $13.20 for them.
Round 4: 8 copies, $17.28 cost, $2.16 a piece, $1.44 for me, $15.84 for them.
Round 5: 4 copies, $20.76 cost, $5.19 a piece, $1.73 for me, $19.03 for them.
Total: $15.73 for me...

Now, this assumes that I sell it to one person each time, and that each person wants all four games. What are your thoughts? Obviously, by the time we got to round 5 it was way too expensive... 1038% of regular price, this encourages them to get it directly from me if at all possible (major bonus, 63.5% of my profit was from the initial sale) and to sell it to as many people as they can (more sales) All of these people covered their cost and more.
M^2 out-
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Mene, you said you're trying to target people like yourself. In that case, then I'm interested in hearing what you would pay $0.50 for. Assuming the hassle was minimal, what would you spend $0.50 on with computer games?
""

._Image
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:37 pm

I'd certainly spend $2 a year to get four of the games that I make...

I'd expect more dialogue, a better looking GUI, more control and yet more simplicity...

I'm not sure what you mean...
M^2 out-
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm

I really don't know of any method of payment over the web that would work if you don't want to involve parents (for children and young teens). I'm assuming you don't have a credit card.
Q.E.D.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm not saying not involving parents, I'm saying minimalize parents.
M^2 out-
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Again, the best I can come up with is a token system. One time buy, only one paypal transaction (at least), and the rest is just a click of a button. The only part a parent would need to do is set up the account, buy a set amount of tokens and the kid can do the rest.
Q.E.D.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm

i suppose you're right and I'm wrong then.
M^2 out-
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Mene, I like your sliding scale idea. This reminds me of the conclusion that Sparkling and Tim Emerich (and a few publishers) came to regarding the selling of Christian games.

Still, the question of streamlining the process...