The Battle - what are we up against?

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

Sparkworker
Location: Alcona, ON (Lindale Texas for end of 09/till august '10)

The Battle - what are we up against?

Postby Sparkworker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:59 am

Types of media kids consume. Time spent with every medium other than movies and print increased over the past five years: :47 a day increase for music/audio, :38 for TV content, :27 for computers, and :24 for video games. TV remains the dominant type of media content consumed, at 4:29 a day, followed by music/audio at 2:31, computers at 1:29, video games at 1:13, print at :38, and movies at :25 a day.

High levels of media multitasking. High levels of media multitasking also contribute to the large amount of media young people consume each day. About 4 in 10 7th-12th graders say they use another medium “most” of the time they’re listening to music (43%), using a computer (40%), or watching TV (39%).

When we go into the "Christian Video Game" market, what are we really trying to sell here?

What are we up against?

And how will God and His Glory be advanced through it all?

Well, I'm looking real quick at some statistics right now - Here's what we've got with our culture:

http://www.kff.org/entmedia/entmedia012010nr.cfm

WASHINGTON, D.C. – With technology allowing nearly 24-hour media access as children and teens go about their daily lives, the amount of time young people spend with entertainment media has risen dramatically, especially among minority youth, according to a study released today by the Kaiser Family Foundation. Today, 8-18 year-olds devote an average of 7 hours and 38 minutes (7:38) to using entertainment media across a typical day (more than 53 hours a week). And because they spend so much of that time ‘media multitasking’ (using more than one medium at a time), they actually manage to pack a total of 10 hours and 45 minutes (10:45) worth of media content into those 7½ hours.

The amount of time spent with media increased by an hour and seventeen minutes a day over the past five years, from 6:21 in 2004 to 7:38 today. And because of media multitasking, the total amount of media content consumed during that period has increased from 8:33 in 2004 to 10:45 today.

Mobile media driving increased consumption. The increase in media use is driven in large part by ready access to mobile devices like cell phones and iPods. Over the past five years, there has been a huge increase in ownership among 8- to 18-year-olds: from 39% to 66% for cell phones, and from 18% to 76% for iPods and other MP3 players. During this period, cell phones and iPods have become true multi-media devices: in fact, young people now spend more time listening to music, playing games, and watching TV on their cell phones (a total of :49 daily) than they spend talking on them (:33).

Parents and media rules. Only about three in ten young people say they have rules about how much time they can spend watching TV (28%) or playing video games (30%), and 36% say the same about using the computer. But when parents do set limits, children spend less time with media: those with any media rules consume nearly 3 hours less media per day (2:52) than those with no rules.

Media in the home. About two-thirds (64%) of young people say the TV is usually on during meals, and just under half (45%) say the TV is left on “most of the time” in their home, even if no one is watching. Seven in ten (71%) have a TV in their bedroom, and half (50%) have a console video game player in their room. Again, children in these TV-centric homes spend far more time watching: 1:30 more a day in homes where the TV is left on most of the time, and an hour more among those with a TV in their room.

“The amount of time young people spend with media has grown to where it’s even more than a full-time work week,” said Drew Altman, Ph.D., President and CEO of the Kaiser Family Foundation. “When children are spending this much time doing anything, we need to understand how it’s affecting them – for good and bad.”

Heavy media users report getting lower grades. While the study cannot establish a cause and effect relationship between media use and grades, there are differences between heavy and light media users in this regard. About half (47%) of heavy media users say they usually get fair or poor grades (mostly Cs or lower), compared to about a quarter (23%) of light users. These differences may or may not be influenced by their media use patterns. (Heavy users are the 21% of young people who consume more than 16 hours of media a day, and light users are the 17% of young people who consume less than 3 hours of media a day.)

Black and Hispanic children spend far more time with media than White children do. There are substantial differences in children’s media use between members of various ethnic and racial groups. Black and Hispanic children consume nearly 4½ hours more media daily (13:00 of total media exposure for Hispanics, 12:59 for Blacks, and 8:36 for Whites). Some of the largest differences are in TV viewing: Black children spend nearly 6 hours and Hispanics just under 5½ hours, compared to roughly 3½ hours a day for White youth. The only medium where there is no significant difference between these three groups is print. Differences by race/ethnicity remain even after controlling for other factors such as age, parents’ education, and single vs. two-parent homes. The racial disparity in media use has grown substantially over the past five years: for example, the gap between White and Black youth was just over two hours (2:12) in 2004, and has grown to more than four hours today (4:23).

Big changes in TV. For the first time over the course of the study, the amount of time spent watching regularly-scheduled TV declined, by 25 minutes a day (from 2004 to 2009). But the many new ways to watch TV–on the Internet, cell phones, and iPods–actually led to an increase in total TV consumption from 3:51 to 4:29 per day, including :24 of online viewing, :16 on iPods and other MP3 players, and :15 on cell phones. All told, 59% (2:39) of young people’s TV-viewing consists of live TV on a TV set, and 41% (1:50) is time-shifted, DVDs, online, or mobile.

“The bottom line is that all these advances in media technologies are making it even easier for young people to spend more and more time with media,” said Victoria Rideout, Foundation Vice President and director of the study. “It’s more important than ever that researchers, policymakers and parents stay on top of the impact it’s having on their lives.”

Popular new activities like social networking also contribute to increased media use. Top online activities include social networking (:22 a day), playing games (:17), and visiting video sites such as YouTube (:15). Three-quarters (74%) of all 7th-12th graders say they have a profile on a social networking site.

http://www.frankwbaker.com/mediause.htm

I'm thinking - with all that consumption, what views about the world are being formed? And how does a Christian video game compete against that?

Remember, we're fighting spiritual battles here. We know that it's important to do this thing right - but it starts in the Spirit.

What's He telling us about the battle? How are we to win it for Him? How are we to sabatoge the game industry? How are we to pray - how are we the ones who are going to save those people from themselves? From the enemy?
RifleFire

Re: The Battle - what are we up against?

Postby RifleFire » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:08 pm

Sparkworker wrote:I'm thinking - with all that consumption, what views about the world are being formed? And how does a Christian video game compete against that?

Remember, we're fighting spiritual battles here. We know that it's important to do this thing right - but it starts in the Spirit.

What's He telling us about the battle? How are we to win it for Him? How are we to sabatoge the game industry? How are we to pray - how are we the ones who are going to save those people from themselves? From the enemy?

Hey Sparkworker,
Your right that its a vast spiritual war we are in. The Devil/Demons are trying to use all manner of media to bring souls into the gates of Hell. An for the most part, the evil forces are succeeding with a lot of humanity. Many, Many people on the planet are dying and heading to hell. How to slow/stop this is not easy. God Jehovah has chosen to work mainly thru His People, that's everyone who is a Christian, to be witnesses for Him. We are to share the Gospel, be in the Word, pray and live for Jesus each day. That's why God leaves a Christian here on the planet once we get saved. Now specifically to your questions:

1) What's He telling us about the battle?
Its a battle between the forces of spiritual darkness and evil forces/beings (Satan and his Demons) VS God/Jesus/Holy Spirit and good Angels. Due to the introduction of Sin in the garden, thru mans choice to chose to do wrong, man is sinful. Jesus Is the answer to the sin problem. Only when man chooses to repent of his sin and chooses to receive Jesus as his personal Lord and Savior, does man get transferred from the hands of the Devil to the Hands of God. That's the Gospel in a very brief nutshell. We have to get the gospel out to the world. We have to use media to do this. Satan is using media like never before to entice people to chose the ways of the world and hell. We have to use the same media to share the Gospel.

2) How are we to win it for Him?
Well for one, we cannot win the battles of the war in our own strength. God has won this war and He has chosen mostly to work thru US to win the battles still raging though. We must rely on His Spirit to guide and direct us to win the battles of the war. But the good news is that the outcome of the War is already won. It was won at Calvary when Jesus died and was resurrected. Now the battles of the war continue but Satan is a defeated foe and knows his time is short. His Goal is to hurt God by getting people to chose to go to hell by not getting saved. He is also hurting God by causing Christians to live defeated lives. God has chosen to work mainly thru us Christians to win the battles remaining. The outcome of the war is not in doubt. The bible clearly teaches God will prevail. Jesus will come back and take care of the Devil at the end times. But in the meantime, the battles still rage for the souls/spirits of mankind. Once again, sharing the gospel thru media and Living for Jesus in front our fellow man is how we can help God in the process of winning the souls of mankind. I am not into media that much so specifics as to how to use media is not my forte. Games that share the gospel and yet are fun is one way i would think would help the battles to be won. Perhaps others here are more into media and can share specific ways to use media for the Glory of God/Jesus.

3) How are we to sabatoge the game industry? How are we to pray - how are we the ones who are going to save those people from themselves? From the enemy?

I don't think that we should use the word sabotage here. I think a more appropriate word is compete. Certainly we don't compete with the world by sharing more of the same as the world gives people. That would just help Satan bring them in. We have to get the gospel to them and yet be pleasing to the eye and fun if we do it thru games. Other media ways are sharing the gospel thru podcasts and videos. We are to live in a attitude of prayer always. That is always be considering what the bible tells us to do in all cases. We should be striving to bring Glory to God Jehovah/Jesus in everything we do. When we do pray, pray first with thanksgiving to God for who He is and what He is doing and thank Him always for Jesus and what Jesus did for each of us Christians on the Cross, and then ask for forgiveness of our sins and shortcomings and then petition the Lord for others who need prayer and pray for the lost. Once again, WE cannot save others from themselves or the enemy. Only God thru the Holy Spirit can save someone. We are called to be witnesses though. An thru our witnessing, a person can be influenced by the Holy Spirit to come to a saving Faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus bridges the Gap between Holy God and Man once the man/woman/child repents of their sin and trusts Jesus to save them. Nothing else will save someone cept coming to faith in Jesus. Its a process too. Repenting of sin to God and then asking Jesus to save you and trusting Jesus to save you is the process in a nutshell. Also, witnessing comes in many forms. Using Media is a great way to do it. Obeying the Word and therefore living for Jesus in front of everyone is primary to being a witness. Its not easy either cause Satan and demons are always there to try to bring us down. An since we are saved yet still sin, many times we stumble and fall and that doesn't help us witness too well. We have to stand back up and ask God for help and do our best to live for Jesus each day inspite of past failures.

Hope this helps,
RF
Sparkworker

Postby Sparkworker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:00 pm

I think that's a good point - I think that there is a lot we can do with games. I guess, when I meant sabatoge though, is somehow it's got to end - people's fascination with themselves has got to end, and their eyes have to turn to the Lord.

I think He's got it - We just have to keep on submitting our will to His - Keep it up!
RockinRickOwen

Postby RockinRickOwen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:43 pm

1. It's fairly obvious to us that society is intellectually and morally bankrupt. Many parents have given their children over to the media and the education system. The "values" being pumped into them by these sources are abysmal, and probably hellish. So what do we do?

2. We can't change the system, or the world, or the parents via video games. We can change the kids, though, by getting our foot in the door.

3. How do we out-do the world? We change the rules of the game. We want values integrated into the media, then let's do it. Integrate values, introduce consequences. The Star Wars game have done a bit of that. Let's do more. Let's go for a dynamic storyline that viscerally affects our audience.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will ye also go away?" Then Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God." John 6:67-69
PFC

Postby PFC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

One thing I'd like to point out is that recent studies on the effects of "virtual reality" (aka video games) on young kids showed that these kids later truly believe that they where actually present in the virtual reality. Young kids being exposed to video games can't tell the real world apart from the virtual world.

When we look at the type of games out there (from the cute/cuddly brainwashing stuff, to the action/killing stuff) I think we can see how much games can affect the young crowd. Most christian games I've played where all kid games. Although I'd prefer there be more christian games for adults, I do think those programmers/companies did a good choice in targeting these age groups.

To your question about what kind of worldviews are being formed, I've often seen people reflect the attitudes they need to win in-game, in the real world. This is most evident in games where one must win regardless of the cost to others, or at the cost of others.

Looking at the USA's military recruitment team that set up a huge free video-game place, I don't think we can ignore how valuable games are to change the direction of a person's life.

Personally, I do not believe the Christian game industry can compete with the mainstream any time soon. Though I do hope this changes some 10+ years down the road, but for now you just aren't going to see christian games competing with WOW, starcraft, etc...
I think the biggest change will come from incorporating ourselves into the mainstream.
Though a single Christian cannot make a huge game on his own, he could use his influence to help put Truth into mainstream games if he is working for these companies.
I mean, Jesus didn't ask us to make a parallel government in countries where the government is corrupt(which it is to some degree everywhere) but he did charge us to be witnesses wherever we are, this would include Christians in the government.

We can't save them, but our testimony with God's spirit will change lives.

I guess what we need to pray is "God, here I am, take me and bring glory to your name through me"
Flux

Postby Flux » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:03 pm

I would be very interested in reading those studies, as most of the class material I've sat through in the last while on the topic indicates otherwise ... but I always like hear about new sources, and it is very possible our curricula are behind a couple of years. Also I'm not specifically studying early developmental, and a bunch of really cool things happen in young brains as opposed to older children, adults, etc. (i.e. I'm not disputing you, just curious :) )

Are these children still in the "hyper-plasticity" stage of brain development (7 or below)?
Sparkworker

Postby Sparkworker » Mon May 10, 2010 9:19 am

Hey, I've just seen what it's done to my friends when they were early teens. They don't care about people anymore - video games tend to make the vast majority of their players fake people, suppressing their emotions and mocking so much of what real life is about. And when I played Super Mario Galaxy - My younger brothers, under age 7, both were engrossed to the MAX - Then, they'd pretend they were Mario when they did make believe play! ("I'm Fire Mario! FSSSSSSHHHH!!!!)
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Mon May 10, 2010 11:17 am

I would simply disagree with your comments about video games... In fact I'd argue that organized religion resulits in those effects you were speaking of, people being out of touch with reality.

What does this life matter if I'm going to paradise when I'm dead. What do bad actions matter if Jesus will forgive me. If I'm evil and wretched by nature then doing evil and wretched things are a natural inclination, a small step away.

In my observations those things have detached people from reality much more than games or even game obsession.
Matthew Langley
Lead Tool Development Engineer
GarageGames
Mike

Postby Mike » Tue May 11, 2010 3:51 am

Matt Langley wrote: In fact I'd argue that organized religion resulits in those effects you were speaking of, people being out of touch with reality.

What does this life matter if I'm going to paradise when I'm dead. What do bad actions matter if Jesus will forgive me. If I'm evil and wretched by nature then doing evil and wretched things are a natural inclination, a small step away.

Most organized religion does not teach that. Although those are issues that have been issues for the church for quite awhile - even Paul asks about should we sin more so grace would abound more.

Yes there is nothing I can do that cannot be forgiven. Should I see that as a tool to use to work life the way I decide. That sounds more like working the system - and a video game mentality to me. Where the rules of the God of that game (code - rules) are tools you have to interact with.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Tue May 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Mike wrote:
Matt Langley wrote: In fact I'd argue that organized religion resulits in those effects you were speaking of, people being out of touch with reality.

Most organized religion does not teach that. Although those are issues that have been issues for the church for quite awhile - even Paul asks about should we sin more so grace would abound more.

Organized religion (specifically Christianity) doesn't teach that mindset, but they do strongly teach the concept that are needed to have that mindset.

1) This life doesn't matter much in comparison to what comes after
2) I'm evil and wretched by nature
3) All good comes from God, all bad comes from Satan, Demons, or myself
4) I can gain forgiveness for anything and wash the sin away

If you feel you are evil and wretched, anything good doesn't really come from you but the bad might, and that all that matters is you can wash it all away with Jesus and live happily in the afterlife, well then doing bad things in the here and now isn't much step. I mean if you think you are sinful and wretched by nature it's a small step to actually being such. If you think by your own will nothing good can be done then it's simply nature to do bad things... I've observed this result in much of organized Christianity, this is purely my observations of course.

Yes there is nothing I can do that cannot be forgiven. Should I see that as a tool to use to work life the way I decide. That sounds more like working the system - and a video game mentality to me. Where the rules of the God of that game (code - rules) are tools you have to interact with.

Working the system has nothing to do with games. Logic and rules and guidelines have been around for quite a long time. The Bible is full of guidelines and rules and even full of examples of people trying to play the system. Heck if anything you can read the Bible and learn of ways to try and play the system ;) I don't buy that this is video game related at all... All video games are is an interactive media, that's it. Anything represented in games is represented in many many other things in life. The Bible has violent content all throughout it, it demonstrates people doing bad things, playing the system, being "evil." People need not look further than the "Holy Bible" to learn these vile things if they so choose.
Matthew Langley
Lead Tool Development Engineer
GarageGames
Mike

Postby Mike » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Can't argue that there are things in the Bible that can be taken out of context and turned into untruth. I'm only aware of one church (Universalist) that does say sin does not matter. Even here much of the criticism of the church is not enough forgiveness and too much law. We have a branch in town here that meets in a bar - and criticizes the rest of the churches in town.

So I am not saying the problem does not exist. I just don't see it in organized religion - I see a tendency to go the other way - enforce the law - instead of sharing grace.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/oct/03/tiny-congregation-seeks-god-bar/
christo

Postby christo » Tue May 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Where I live I see to much forgiveness and pretty much no Law. I think we should try to understand more of the law which starts to make much more sense once you start practicing it(though I admit I need to practice much more than I do). See way too much of "say this little prayer and you are saved, now come to church". New Christians are hardly ever informed of what their decision entails. It is much more than simply going to church.