Funding your game with Kickstarter

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

CPUFreak91

Funding your game with Kickstarter

Postby CPUFreak91 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:16 am

I discovered this site when I learned about the film Indie Game: The Movie.

Kickstarter is a funding and pledge website for creative projects such as films, music, games, and other art forms. According to the founder "Kickstarter has been a powerful tool to connect with a community passionate about our work."

This could be a solution for Mack's Pre-Order-to-fund-development idea/question, as well as for ourselves and anyone else interested in making a midsize to large size game.

Kickstarter is currently in Beta and signing up to start new projects isn't as easy as filling out a form, like on Pepsi's Refresh project, but if you think you can do it, and have a great idea, they'll consider you.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
Exodus

Re: Funding your game with Kickstarter

Postby Exodus » Tue May 25, 2010 10:46 am

Yep a few of us have been aware of this site (and utilized it, as well). Laurene used it to help fund the Visions project, and I used it to try to fund my game.

It's a good site, but word of mouth is really the key to getting funded, because if you don't meet the goal, then you're not awarded any of the money (even if you're a dollar short of the goal).

I would like to try and use this site again in the future.
::Tweetle-dee::
"Wisdom is better than weapons of war: but one sinner destroyeth much good." -- Ecc. 9:18 [/size]
GraceWorks

Re: Funding your game with Kickstarter

Postby GraceWorks » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Exodus wrote:Yep a few of us have been aware of this site (and utilized it, as well). Laurene used it to help fund the Visions project, and I used it to try to fund my game.
Rebecca -

Did you actually get funded? My understanding is -if you don't hear your goal, no funds flow.

Thanks for your insights.

God bless,
Tim