the Mary Poppins Factor

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

RockinRickOwen

the Mary Poppins Factor

Postby RockinRickOwen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:05 am

I didn't quite know where to put this post, so I guess here will do, as it relates to leadership, rather than design.

disclaimer: I'm the least qualified person here to talk about the business aspects of gaming, as several of you are actually producing games, and therefore have actual experience.

A friend of mine left in my supposedly safe keeping a collection of DVDs, one of which is "Mary Poppins," the 40th anniversary edition. It's got some "making of the movie" bonus features, as well as audio commentary by Dick Van Dyke, Julie Andrews, Bob Sherman (the guy who did the music) and the woman who played the little girl in the film.

Of interest here is what was consistently said about Walt Disney. He was the sort of studio exec who INSPIRED people to do their best, rather than push them. Under him, Disney Studios was a big family, and people enjoyed working there. If he met someone with talent, he'd check out their portfolio or ask for a demonstration, and he'd hire them, even they hadn't worked in the film industry before. I won't say more about this. You'll just have to check it out for yourself.

If you haven't heard this, or seen this particular footage, run to the nearest video store and rent the copy of Mary Poppins that has these bonus features. Absolutely inspirational.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, "Will ye also go away?" Then Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God." John 6:67-69