in-game ads

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

b-o

in-game ads

Postby b-o » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I've noticed that some forms of media (TV/movies/radio) have integrated advertisements into their programs in a subtle way so that the experience of the program isn't totally interrupted (i.e. an actor may hold up a specific brand of food for a moment and endorse it.) I'm curious if any companies have paid game developers to integrate their product advertisements into games in this way.
brownboot

Re: in-game ads

Postby brownboot » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 am

Ya, product placement has been around forever.

I remember one of the first splinter cell's making a big deal out of it. The Tom Clancy franchises have always done it...

I feel like I had a couple more in mind as I started posting but have already forgotten... But it is really early here =_=.
--

Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:20 am

Yep. Didn't Half-life or somebody do something of the sort? One of my favorite game ads include some minor branding inside the game. For example, in a racing game, (you see it all the time) you drive by and you see a banner for coco-cola. You expect to see it there, so it's not disturbing at all.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 am

b-o wrote:I've noticed that some forms of media (TV/movies/radio) have integrated advertisements into their programs in a subtle way so that the experience of the program isn't totally interrupted (i.e. an actor may hold up a specific brand of food for a moment and endorse it.) I'm curious if any companies have paid game developers to integrate their product advertisements into games in this way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_advertising" target="_blank
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm

I remember when they had a big SOAP Shoes marketing campaign for Sonic Adventure 2 (going as far as to change Sonic's shoes and have billboards all over for it).

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't have Mario wearing Arizona's Jean Overalls.
michaK

Postby michaK » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

In Pikmin 2 you dig up lots of stuff like Chapstick, Duracell batteries, and other name brand things.

In Super Monkey Ball 2, Dole brand bananas are everywhere.
Proverbs 15:32-33 "He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding." 33."The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility."
PatrickXX

Postby PatrickXX » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 am

From what I've read In-Game ads have largely been a financial failture but DLCs and in-game purchases work very well.
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Alan Wake (Xbox 360 version) had Energizer Battery Billboards (can't remember if it was in the DLC only).

They should've had some billboards for a popular brand of flashlights and flare guns.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Somwhere around 1990 - 1995 there was also Cool Spot and McDonalds games that were both commercial and at least Cool Spot was very good game and I think mcdonalds games were good too, just dont remember their names, I think therre were more than just one of those McDonalds games.

Cool Spot was all about 7UP, its that cool spot from 7UP logo.
launcher

Postby launcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Gran Tourismo, its almost wall to wall ads and its a great game, all about cars and racing them 400-1k car options. tire company ads, parts and other ads car related, and i think its a great idea. In an MMO they do this, the advertisements allow free play where player expense is passed off on to companies.