CGDC 2011

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

cryptopur

CGDC 2011

Postby cryptopur » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 am

Hey folks - I haven't had the chance to check in here for a while but wanted to let you all know about the most recent details regarding this year's Christian Game Developer's Conference. I know some of you here many of you have attended past events and we're now about 2 months away from this year's event which is the 10th anniversary. (w00t!)

You can see a lot more detail on the website(http://cgdc.org) but here's the bullet:
  • July 7-9, 2011
  • George Fox University in Newberg, OR (about 20mi south of Portland)
  • Barlow Girl performing a worship set
  • Speakers/Topics include...
    • Lance Preibe, the creator of Club Penguin
    • Kyle Garner, world designer at BioWare taling about that world building thing.
    • Mark Soderwall, (of LucasArts, Atari, RockStar etc) - on building a virtual game studio
    • Jeff Gerke from Marcher Lord Press discussing storytelling techniques in a non-linear medium
    • David McDonald on The Theology of Monsters (Did you know there are unicorns in the Bible?)
  • We have two keynote speakers taking a step back to look at the 'big picture' of the role of gaming in shaping modern culture.
    • Os Hillman and the Mountain of Arts & Entertainment. Gaming is a MAJOR cultural medium and those of us in, or aspiring to work in this industry do well to see the BIG play we are a part of.
    • Gary Barkalow discussing how this big picture will require that we live from our deep convictions and passions. How does a Christian live and thrive in an industry that doens't seem to want us?
  • The XBus will be there to play big LAN style games.
  • And to make Seth happy...there will be a bunch of QR codes
To be fair, we're still a couple months out and some of this is subject to shift and grow but you should be able to see the basic framework and theme for what we're up to here. Also, in the past CGDC has never really been about the content, not really. It's always been about the meet-ups, the fellowship and the shared vision to bring our faith to this thing we call gaming. We sure hope to see you there and wish all of you the best in whatever God has called you to.

Grace and Peace
SSquared

Re: CGDC 2011

Postby SSquared » Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 am

Excellent! I was just going to reply to another thread, but you created this new one. I was floored the other day when I saw Jeff Gerke was going to be there. I've been wanting to meet him since the late 90's! :) I loved his Ethan Hamilton trilogy! I believe I've mentioned it a few times here on the site.

I want to try and make it this year. My last conference was in 2004.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
cryptopur

Postby cryptopur » Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 am

SSQuared - of course you need to come!
Am I correct you're in the PDX area anyway? You have no excuse to miss it. ;)
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Wed May 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Close. Two hours away. I went the years I lived in Portland. Then we moved away and the conferences were in the middle of the week.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu May 12, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm thinking seriously of going this year. :)

Some stuff the site does not mention:
1) What time does the conference start on Thursday morning?
2) Is there anything happening on Wednesday?
3) What time does it end on Saturday?
4) Is there on-campus housing? If so, how much is it? How do we pay for it?
5) The site mentions volunteering, but gives no indication of what this entails. Are you serving food? Setting up the conference? Working behind the scenes making sure speakers are where they need to be? Do you get there on Wednesday? Do you tear it down?

If I'm already out there, I will probably want to head to the Evergreen Air/Space Museum, too.

EDIT: Oh...the little 'Information' dropdown does not work on the iPad. ;) It drops down, but I was unable to click on the individual items. It would take my click for the Information page. The information page should contain links to the other three pages listed in the dropdown.
cryptopur

Postby cryptopur » Thu May 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey SSquared - some of the answers to your questions are still a little in flux which is why we haven't posted them to the site yet. I suggest you join the site so you're on the mailing list, so you get up to date news as we get it.
BUT
I ca offer answers to several of your questions:
1. dorm rooms will be available and they are about $20/night but you need to bring your own bedding. Shorty we'll have the ability to pay online with your registration.
2. Folks are expected to feed themselves. The university cafe is open thursday and friday but not saturday. Several restaurants are within walking distance.
3. Registration starts about 6pm on thursday and events are pretty light that evening. We start in earnest Friday morning and go through about 4pm on saturday.
4. contact Sherol Chen (on the site) and she can tell you all about it...
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks. So the conference really doesn't start until Thursday night. Cool! That's one less day off of work.
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 am

Steve -

Didn't you attend for a day in '05 or '06?

And the conference was just Fri/Sat until we expanded to three days, then Thu/Fri/Sat.

Hope you can make it this year.

Are you doing any fun projects on your iPad?

God bless,
Tim
SSquared wrote:Thanks. So the conference really doesn't start until Thursday night. Cool! That's one less day off of work.
GraceWorks

Postby GraceWorks » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:42 am

FYI - you can access the printed program for this year's conference! Go to:
http://cgdc.org/page/schedule-1" target="_blank

And click on the link for the PDF at the top.

For all those folks within driving distance, please pray about attending.

Look to Him.
-Tim
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:08 am

Tim,

I went to the conferences back in '03 and '04 when I lived right in town. I'm still thinking about going this year. I know I need to decide QUICKLY. This is ONE crazy week for us and I don't do well when I feel like a pinball, bouncing around from here to there.

I see I needed to respond by yesterday for a dorm room. Eh...I can just sleep in my car.

Well, still thinking it through.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:12 am

> Are you doing any fun projects on your iPad?

Not programming-wise. But having a TON TON TON TON TON TON of fun with it. I have been gearing it up for music and am hoping to start using it during worship sometime soon. I used it in a practice last week, but not during service yet. The iPad is such an incredible tool. It blows me away.
cryptopur

Postby cryptopur » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 am

Hey there - the "unofficial" word is that we can get a dorm room booked for you but it has to be NLT 4pm PST today. Say the word and we'll make sure you're hooked up. :)
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:19 am

SSquared wrote:Tim,

I went to the conferences back in '03 and '04 when I lived right in town. I'm still thinking about going this year. I know I need to decide QUICKLY. This is ONE crazy week for us and I don't do well when I feel like a pinball, bouncing around from here to there.

I see I needed to respond by yesterday for a dorm room. Eh...I can just sleep in my car.

Well, still thinking it through.
Go on... you know you want to come!! Would be great for me to get to meet another CDNer :)
christo

Postby christo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 am

I was originally planning to come but I started college last month and I have been kept rather busy by that. Now for some reason I have Charlie Peacock's song "In the Light" playing in my head. It has a line in it that says "I am the king of excuses, I have one for every selfish thing I do."
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:22 am

Yo! Yo! Yo! I made it to Saturday. A few minutes late, though. Woohoo!!!
Dagur Dragon

Postby Dagur Dragon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am

@SSquared where are you?
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Back home now. ;)

Man! It was fantastic. Great to meet everyone. Really happy I went. Would have been cool to be there both days. There were so many points we can bring up for discussion.

Y'all have safe trips home.
andygeers

Postby andygeers » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 pm

SSquared wrote:Back home now. ;)

Man! It was fantastic. Great to meet everyone. Really happy I went. Would have been cool to be there both days. There were so many points we can bring up for discussion.

Y'all have safe trips home.
Yeah - awesome to meet you and everyone else!

So glad I came all this way, has been epic.
Dagur Dragon

Postby Dagur Dragon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 am

CGDC was such an amazing experience. I'm so glad that was able to meet SSquared and Andy, plus many other new people. I hope to see more people from CDN come and join us next year.
cryptopur

Postby cryptopur » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Hey y'all - thanks to all of you who came out to join us and also a big thanks for your kind words.
We still have so much we want to do and yet I was really happy with how it went this year...pretty darn inspirational.

I especially want to thank the folks who came because you made a great impression on the guests who were not Christians. We've been getting some really fantastic feedback from these folks who often were putting a face with 'Christians' that they simply never had before.
Intelligent, thoughtful, articulate and devoid of the fire and brimstone they were more or less expecting - you all gave a great face to the body of Christ and that's all on our guests and very little on the organizers.
Thanks!
You made CGDC look good and proved the point that you ARE CGDC, not the few folks with green bars on the badge.