Windows 8 - What's up?

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

RifleFire

Windows 8 - What's up?

Postby RifleFire » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 am

Hey all,
Was reading about windows 8 and Microsoft's supposed plans. Are they really serious about demoting the desktop to a much less priority and going to HTML 5 and Javascript only as the preferred development tools?? Is Mobile going to be the way of things from now on? An what does this mean for PC games (Old and new games?)
Here's a sample link that mentions the brewing controversy:
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... rified.ars
So after reading that, what are your thoughts?
RF
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Re: Windows 8 - What's up?

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:15 am

A good point was made about cross-platform. But that seems like more of a consolation prize. Personally, I'm simply not interested in developing for the Windows desktop if it means I have to do it in HTML 5 and Javascript.

What this could mean is that developers will adapt and make games using HTML5 and Javascript. What it also could mean, and what I want it to mean is that developers will not support Windows 8, and will support only Windows 7 and instead focus on Mac OS X and Linux. I think the latter is helped by the already existing efforts to spread out to these platforms.

In addition, it will probably mean even more focus on the console and mobile gaming away from desktop gaming in general.

If this pans out, then it feels like they've taken a bad situation (cloud based OS) and made it much, much worse. Taken developer's worst fears and made them worse.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
achild

Postby achild » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:28 am

If I had to guess from the little details we have, I'd say HTML5 + Javascript will become the best way to do interfaces, while the code behind it will remain whatever we want it to be (probably .NET unfortunately but even there one can eventually work their way down to C or C++ if they really want to).

It kinda makes sense... I mean each operating system has its specific way to bring up an interface and interact with it that you have to learn anyways... this will just be Windows's new one (and you have to admit more people know html than the various programming languages out there....)

If I had to guess of course.
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 am

If that's the case achild, then I doubt it'll be a big deal if MS does a good job. But I'd think that they'd be release a re-release confirming suspicions.

Edit:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows- ... 4921.shtml" target="_blank

Ran across that. In that case it sounds like a good thing. The important issue is optional or not.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:54 am

Good times. Good times.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 am

It's definitely a change of pace for Microsoft, but HTML5/JS is going to become a lot more prevalent in the apps we use. It's got a very low learning curve, and a bazillion useful libraries that power millions of apps out there.

The mobile market is changing the way the computing industry thinks and operates. Microsoft isn't the only large company who is moving their desktop OS in a mobile direction. Apple's OS X 10.7 (Lion) OS has basically copied most of the iPad UI and tweaked it for desktop computers and 27" monitors.

Give it about 3 years and you will have a hard time buying a computer without a touchscreen or "magic trackpad" multi-touch input device.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21