Lucas Arts is dieing...

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

ArchAngel

Re: Lucas Arts is dieing...

Postby ArchAngel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 am

No, no, we all know that. LARPing is pretty much the lowest rung on the geek totem.
Q.E.D.
Treecleaver

Postby Treecleaver » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 am

Where I used to live, the area churches did an annual Christian LARP-style event that put teens in a setting where they could experience evangelism/persecution/martyrdom firsthand. They did a different setting every year, ranging from ancient Rome to South American jungle tribes through post-apocalyptic police states. It was a really powerful event by all accounts, although I was too young at the time to be involved with it.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:28 am

That sounds more like situational role playing, which is very effective in getting people to step out of their boxes.

Unless, of course, you have some kid with a lisp yelling out "Healing hands! Healing hands! HEALING HANDS!"
Q.E.D.
launcher

Postby launcher » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:42 am

well the dressing up as animals things may be a little lower... still really really really really geeky.

in some situations the mentioned roleplaying may be helpful to convey messages, that makes people think, something like the economics of drug use, where you ask them where do you get the money to keep doing drugs once addicted. and they start off well sell blood? then like no you cant they test it. basically get people to think about decisions before they make them. typically with kids...
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Furrys are something completely different...
Q.E.D.
Treecleaver

Postby Treecleaver » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Well, it involved foam swords and toy guns, as well as simulated injuries (be an idiot and try to fight Caesar's guards? Enjoy walking with a crutch for the rest of the weekend). But yeah, the core of the game was more roleplay-focused.

As for furries, they aren't geeky. The lack of social skills and high presence on the internet are just unfortunate coincidences.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:10 pm

achild wrote: is that true? Was George Lucas a Christian trying to spread the gospel in some way?

George Lucas wasnt a Christian at least in sense (i suppose -) we would review Christian to be and when i saw one interview of him from around year 2000 wasnt either (dont know of his beliefs today) but he indeed did try to spread his own gospel.

For he has his own idea about God and in that interview he said that he was intentionally spreading that view of his on Star Wars. Im not sure what hes belief exactly is (and i doubt he knows himself either) I suppose its some sort of mixture of religions in way of all religions have some truth in them which partly explains why he has so much Christian or at least Christian seeming themes in Star Wars.

achild wrote:For instance, I know the lady that wrote Harry Potter actually became a Christian sometime mid-series. It's interesting to associate the series with Christianity and spiritual issues, but it was not originally intended to do so.

Hmm, this ones interesting, can you tell me more about this? For so far I have sort of took standing to stay away from Harry Potters. But this could change things, plus it could explain something i better explain in bit better to get this discussion off.

For the thing is that to my understanding there is nothing in JK Rawling herself that would give indication that she herself had been involved in any satan worshipping or similar.

However, at least her first books seem to be pretty demonised products. It seems to full of all kinds of things that takes someone with deep knowledge about satanic things.

They claim that for example all the teachers in Harry Potters school are anecdotes or real life witches and if you look at their age in book and make calculations as to when they were born, not sure on what based their birth year is - writing year of book, or do they mention it somewhere in book or what, but anyway, you look at that characters birth year and you find out that by rearranging the letters of that teachers name you get a name of a witch that died 666 years ago.

Although I cant remember from top of my head more, there were more of similar things in that book that just simply cant be there by coincidence (supposing those claims are true).

And of course we get to Harry Potter himself. For in India guys who are calling spirits are called Potters.

Anyway. Since it have seemed to me that there is no reason why JK Rawling had herself been fixing those things in those books (unless theres conspiracy theory) I have always wondered how did she get so influenced by demons then.

Well, if she have become a christian, that could explain it. She might have been open to religious things and without any better knowledge maybe have in some place at sometime opened herself to some demon too that have affected the writing of that book.

For example I have a frined who used to go to drink to a camp where there were Satan worshippers. Well, no wonder after he became a christian its been such a hard struggle for him.

He himself never was satan worshipper, nor did he ever do anything like that. But when he was unbeleiver, he kept hanging on their room. There could be something similar with rawling, Maybe she have went to some scinetology meeting or something and got that demon from there.

Of course supposing she even had a demon ever.

Anyway, tell me more about that achild. Im very interested in hearing more.
Lava

Postby Lava » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Lucas is definitely not a Christian. A few weeks back I watched an interview he did with Oprah and to paraphrase, he referred to God as "just this friend people conjured up in their minds to get through life". I could probably find the exact quote and even the clip from the interview, it was pretty recent.

I always thought he leaned more eastern in his beliefs, but after watching the interview he came across to me as an athiest :P

And don't worry, I'm no fan of Oprah, hahaha. :mrgreen:
launcher

Postby launcher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 pm

:o wasnt exspecting that.... the documentary i saw was he based things off greek and roman culture. liah he said was aphrodite or something. well no wonder starwars is going down hill...

well if thats indeed true it explains a lot, like why he needed the monsterous 20 year break between the trilogies, why his new cartoon humanizes and trys making the siths seem more friendly, and makes it appear there misunderstood.

apparently hes methodist and budhist... yeah talk about confusing... according to wikipedia.
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:59 am

It is extremely well documented that Star Wars was largely inspired by Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces.
--

achild

Postby achild » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 am

Bugala here's a couple links to get you thinking:
http://thehogshead.org/guest-blogger-jk ... stian-340/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... otter.html

Interestingly, towards the end of this, she seems to be doubting her faith, and she uses the word "religion" instead of talking directly about God or Jesus, as she has previously. Some sort of "falling away" maybe?
http://www.biographyonline.net/writers/j_k_rowling.html

Anyhow none of these gave a really thorough rundown, but as I understand it, it all involves alcohol and abuse and marriage problems and so on and then turning to Christ.

I could be mistaken though... this is what my pastor's wife told me and I never was interested enough to really, really spend time looking into it.

Here's a thought though, maybe we could all pray for her!
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Achild from the links, I read them all, they were very interesting.

By reading those texts through there were some important spots like:

"On any given moment if you asked me if I believe in life after death, I think if you polled me regularly through the week, I think I would come down on the side of yes - that I do believe in life after death.

"But it's something I wrestle with a lot. It preoccupies me a lot, and I think that's very obvious within the books."

and

"She said, that unlike other members in her family, she often had a deep interest in religion, and would go to churches alone. However, she also says that although she believes in God, at times she doubts her faith."

And:

"when asked afterwards if she was a churchgoer, JKR replied nodding, “Mmm hmm. Well I go more than to weddings and christenings. Yes, I do”.

Also the places she have been giving money have been typical targets in way of cancer, children hospital and similar kind of things mostly, and not some clearly more christian organisations (ie. Feeding the Nations, Bibles in China).

and also that she christened her child.

She also seems to be talking of God all the time on those ones, not about Jesus, although reason for that might be tactical as she points out that she have been quiet about her beliefs before the last book not to make the plot too quessable.

Those all added together would give me a picture of someone who if would die right now would likely be going to heaven but who isnt very fundamental in her beleifs, especially the part where she says that she keeps constantly doubting afterlife makes it seem very likely that she is someone who has these typical church goer beliefs in sense of say she would be catholic.

She however seems to show great interest towards religion in that for example it seems she has great admiraiton to CS Lewis specifically due to the fact that Lewis got hes books so well having Christian theme inside it and goes even so far that she even imitated that idea and made Harry Potter books.

I think what She would need is that someone very Spirit filled person would go and take her to some meeting where Miracles are performed and Holy Ghost is present so strong that She would fall to the floor laughing.

I think something like that would change her life instantly. And after that when she would start gain understanding and wisdom in Spiritual matters it would be interesting to put those dead witches anecdotes and stuff to her and ask what she thinks about them.

For by quick it would come to my mind that she in her level of belief have been doing what she have been able to in spreading the gospel forward, but due to not having strong foundation, it might have partly become devils playground.

I agree for the praying part. Lets pray for her to get closer to Jesus so she can be used by God much much stronger.
launcher

Postby launcher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:16 pm

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 42438.html

:lol: hate to say it but i told you so...

the old republic fell below 1 million subscribers. It should be a capital offense what they did, take the greatest sci fi franchise ever, and totaly screw it up. They could have made it off the clone wars, or galactic civil war, they pick an obscure history mostly written in books and risk 10's of millions on it. when all along they could have made it with the supporting firepower of the most seen sci fi movies ever.

It's simple make a halo version of starwars, have a little walk around and build areas. have exotic places to battle eachother, instead its aimed at 5-8 year olds that dream of using a light saber... which shatters the known starwars rules, Yoda made clear there are only 2 siths at a time. rest are slaves following him. Goes back to my belief a persons beliefs effect the game extremly they make. that a developers attitude shows up in a game. Starwars is about a group of faithful people aspiring to be good and do things right, against evil opressive people. if the developers dont believe in good and evil, and have no higher faith. how can they make a game based on these attributes? when you fundamently dont believe in it... Imagine if the movies where written like that. yoda telling luke... do or do not, they arent so bad, there misunderstood and taken out of context... and this hole jedi order... its a loose affiliation, we dont want to offend people of less than posotive behavior. followed by may the force be with you or not, im not sure, but it may be with you, if there is a force. how inspiring would that story be? think it would be as big today?
brownboot

Postby brownboot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:28 am

Or they made a game with great storytelling but bad endgame and poor replayability so after the initial run there isn't enough incentive to keep playing.

f2p model will help get fresh players in the door, not sure it will keep them though. Users expect WoW level content which has been patching new stuff in for almost a decade. We forget what that game looked like when it started...
--

launcher

Postby launcher » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:06 am

if a game is made properly it will have replayability. if people dont want to replay the mmo, that mean there are issues. If the game is good they will play all 8 classes, will fight other players in it all the time. They had 2 million subscribers and now under a million...
taddmencer

Postby taddmencer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 am

I never really understood the "Pay to play" model. I mean, I get the pay the $50 for a game - cool, awesome I'll play. I get the "freemium" model where you play a game 100% free unless you want extras or you're too impatient to level correctly, etc etc etc.

But, pay $40 - $50 for a game and then have to pay $10 - $15 a month to PLAY it seems to me not very .. wise. From a consumers point. Well, my point of view. I analyze everything I purchase.

For example: I bought Guild Wars over the weekend to play as a friend of mine plays. So, for my birthday I got some cash from my parents (30+ years and they still send me money ... score!) and decided to splurge on games. Guild Wars, $30 for the trilogy and the servers are up for free. Decent game play, fun to play. No monthly fees.

Another example: I started playing Vindicus. Free RPG hack n slash style game. If you want special gear, you can go and pay real money for it. Me, I just like to play so I don't bother.

Yet another example: Blacklight: Retribution - freemium FPS kind of a mix of Counterstrike and Unreal. Fun, you can play for ages and gain in game money to get upgrades (so you don't get owned as much as I do) or you can shell out cash. I .. just get owned.

The point is (if I have a real point) if your'e going to have a game where you pay money beyond initial investments, you need to figure out a DIFFERENT way to recoup your server costs if you want to make a viable and playable system. If, just spitballing, Old Republic want and said "Ok, play only 100% free!" and added some premium extras I bet more people would be interested in playing.

And, as pointed out by brownboot - make it so a good replay-ability was built in somewhere. Side quests, extra areas, special pickups, etc etc etc. Little things - or heck, big things. Achievements - people LOVE achievements and unlocks.

And .. on a final note: If anyone plays on Steam, feel free to add me - http://steamcommunity.com/id/lord_thaddius

I hope my Monday morning ramblings made sense ...
I am Tadd.
-------------
http://www.taddmencer.com
http://cubelabmedia.com
-------------
Christian. Husband. Father.
Designer. Developer. Dreamer
launcher

Postby launcher » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:40 am

it makes sense,

Battlestar galactica online gets the paying vs free players right, players can earn the game currency in many ways, but its much harder to get. you sell your weapons you find and parts, and get fuel back, you can take the fuel and sell it for the currency. the currency can repair ships, but is mostly used in ship upgrades, and is used in weapon upgrades. but no limitations are placed on the player, only difference is paying players get to skip mining. they also added in a system based solely on the players performance.

however they have no economy no trading, and serious glitches, and not really the most responsible... they restart servers whenever they feel like, no warnings or anything, which obviously a bad business idea...
launcher

Postby launcher » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2013/0 ... t=mps&or=4

:lol: i told you guys this was happening... in a side note bigpoint removed all jobs from san francisco. there new game was going to focus on all the evil under corusant. the good uplifting aspects to starwars is stripped out, the good and bad is downplayed and blurred, which made the franchise.

The prohet Jerimiah is the place to look for gods blessings, section of the bible. He rewards the faithful and makes those who will not follow his word scattered, and citys made desolate. those who dont follow god are not blessed. psalms 1 states that people who dont follow god can not be good. if you look at liberal citys they are becoming desolate. detroit is a great example but california citys are right behind, over run with crime and poverty, as they become more secular. God will's it?
bugala

Postby bugala » Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Getting Back to Harry Potter Books.

For those of you who havent got at all to the world of "Harry Potter is from the devil" side of story, I happened to stumble upon some old "Letter from Ex-Witch regarding Harry Potter" website.

Its not that it would be that good, but it is quite short compared to all the other, in my opinion, better based attacks against Harry Potter books.

It also leaves basis upon that you need to believe what he says by facevalue instead of telling hes references.

All in all, not that good, but short and good enough for someone wanting to take a quick look at the issue.

Read it about half way only if you wish to save some time, as after half way he says only very little notable anymore:

http://www.pacinst.com/witch.htm

Return to “The Biz: Conference, Marketing, Distribution, PR Discussion”