Lucas Arts is dieing...

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

launcher

Lucas Arts is dieing...

Postby launcher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 pm

sadly they squandered the star wars franchise, didnt know at first why, but looked at there hiring page it became obvious. they where hiring in the philpenes and San francisco (modern day sadam) i can see why they produce so few games. they released according to there site 1-2 games a year now only, a few years ago it was 3-4 times that. well they had some nice games along time ago in a galaxy far far away. sadly the starwars franchise may be dieing, which goes to show you cant have a game about faith and the evils of tyranical leaders, when the developers come for a place where for lack of a better term are in the dark side capital and minions. probably why they did things like the force unleashed where you play as vaders apprentice... nothing spiritual or uplifting about being a pawn of evil...

on the plus side is good for us, one giant no longer in the room to compete with. sure they have a starwars MMO, same end as starwars galaxies i bet. im on more then a few sites 0 mentions of this new game and about 0 hype...
SSquared

Re: Lucas Arts is dieing...

Postby SSquared » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 pm

If they port older titles to iOS I'd be thrilled! Got Pit Droids ported a few weeks back. Most of the other iOS stuff was kinda weak. I was mainly a PC gamer for years and kinda lost interest in LA when they stopped making PC games. Then we got a Wii and the Lego games are fantastic. Now I am into iPad gaming.

Would be fun to get Rebellion ported next.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 am

Hey, I want to see Yoda Stories as an iOS game!
""

._Image
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am

This is off thread, but I have to address this...

launcher wrote:sadly they squandered the star wars franchise, didnt know at first why, but looked at there hiring page it became obvious. they where hiring in the philpenes and San francisco (modern day sadam)

What? I'm really trying not to argue you on validity of your statement, because I can go on and on, and it's fairly clear you biblically or logically can't back this up. And shouldn't. I'm not saying you're stupid, I just think you made a thoughtless statement, as we all do.

But it's this sort of attitude that's not only giving the church a bad name, but also turning Christians into a flock of pharisees. Is this what Jesus really taught? He was living during the time of the Romans, you would have thought he could have gone on and on about this. No, in fact, he criticized the people who more likely did.
Please, pray and rethink about your attitude towards non-christians and "sin." I think you'll find that everything really centers around love and not a set of rules.

And for your information, SWTOR is making quite a buzz and I know a lot of people who are enjoying it. And it's developed by Bioware.
Q.E.D.
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

This is also off subject:
About his movies, there is a rumor that as soon as he puts all the movies out in theaters he plans to use the money and make a third trilogy. though I would love for him to add to his SW saga i don't believe the rumor. I think its time to look towards fan made videos for the continuation of the saga, like one i found on vimeo, its called 'Rise of the rebellion' And i found it very well done, and had a interesting storyline. though its turkish, so when watching it in the english voice-over theres not much emotion in there speech. lol.
Just got back to programming!
launcher

Postby launcher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm

ArchAngel wrote:This is off thread, but I have to address this...

launcher wrote:sadly they squandered the star wars franchise, didnt know at first why, but looked at there hiring page it became obvious. they where hiring in the philpenes and San francisco (modern day sadam)

What? I'm really trying not to argue you on validity of your statement, because I can go on and on, and it's fairly clear you biblically or logically can't back this up. And shouldn't. I'm not saying you're stupid, I just think you made a thoughtless statement, as we all do.

But it's this sort of attitude that's not only giving the church a bad name, but also turning Christians into a flock of pharisees. Is this what Jesus really taught? He was living during the time of the Romans, you would have thought he could have gone on and on about this. No, in fact, he criticized the people who more likely did.
Please, pray and rethink about your attitude towards non-christians and "sin." I think you'll find that everything really centers around love and not a set of rules.

And for your information, SWTOR is making quite a buzz and I know a lot of people who are enjoying it. And it's developed by Bioware.

It's a very valid point star wars is based on the premis good always wins and there is evil. when fundamentaly someone doesnt believe evil exsists or good, cant draw upon experiences of faith, and what there selling is all about faith. Take the Jedi order, based on many christian values and virtues, from there rules about selflessness, they all work, they dedicate there exsistance to helping people with there lifes. they go around trying to be a posotive influence. you have your own expriences of faith, you have a catalog of experiences in the bible for ideas, of people displaying noble virtues, from Jesus to noah and moses.

gods rules certainly apply, he forgives people for there sins, but there is a few exceptions, you have to be sincere, and the anti christ provision. God has a long standing tradition of whiping out congregations of people who try sticking there finger in his eye, try destroying his work and leading people astray, have sadam and gamorah, tower of bable, different approaches and methods. Certainly you must believe that god blesses the work of his faithful followers.

I dont recall jesus's sermon on comprimise your faith and morality to appease others sermon... There is right and then there is wrong, god set forth rules to live by, so live by them, its what is exspected of us and part of what he will judge us by im sure :P

I am not judging them, i am taking there words, acts and deeds, what they say they believe and taking them at there word. obviously they are opposed to gods laws, it's why they are not being blessed, why there state is dieing, billions upon billions in debt, people leaving by hundreds of thousands, consumed with gangs and drugs, fighting, companies leaving.

Couldnt be more wrong, what gives the church a bad name is christians not acting like christians. how can you convert others to be christians if no one knows how one should act? Being a christian isnt a title, its a way of life outlined by jesus and god. Now 2 ways of looking at it, i am being nice the way i see it, so they may be warned they need to follow gods laws... if not in time they will have a god intervention moment, if there all atheists and anarchists and dead, they are in a bad postion soul wise. if someone doesnt know there wrong how can they ever change? how can they ever grow or be a better follower of jesus? fundamentally they are wrong, its up to christians to point them back in the right direction. if not theres a chance they lose there soul and cease to exsist, so wouldnt doing nothing be worse? isnt it up to christians to show them the right way? tip toeing around going well... um ... you know...honesty works wonders. I believe where supposed to spread the word of jesus and the teaching of his ways. if you dont teach about his ways of doing things you accomplished nothing.

people are supposed to follow the ten commandments. sad really i meet so many christians ashamed of there faith, or the type that think its a title and live identical lifes of atheists, thinking they can do whatever they want. Funny some people think they can lie to god, or do what they do to there parents wimper a few times and all is forgiven even when its not sincere :P god knows your mind, he built it, knows your soul, made that to :P

:P yes i know im not perfect and screw up a lot, but the goal should be to raise standards not lower them. of course we all have short comings, we are not supposed to give into them, but pray and try to conquere them.

ha ha this really smart guy said this... Jesus or someone :)

"Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen "

What i got from that, follow gods will on earth and heaven, dont screw people over and forgive those who do to you (follow the ten commandments gave the blueprint, dont steal, sleep with his wife, kill him or his family, and everything should be ok) and that he has the most powerful and eternal kingdom. pretty bold statement? how did them non believers feel? saying he has the greatest empire of all time and forever, think that upset some people? The truth is the truth may not always feel good but the truth is the truth. should we lie to not hurt there feelings? nope lieings a sin, where we told to spread his word? yep. so potray it correctly if people dont like it thats between them and god, he has rules and standards, there is those who live by his rules and those who dont. there is no middle ground, you strive to be more like jesus or dont. there is no half way economy plan or bonus points where you can get a 2nd class ticket or one in coach. :P what happened to we are supposed to let him speak through us? what good is it to convert people going i respect your ways and stuff, and butter them up first same message wether it takes a million words or 5 to get to the same point, jesus is right every other religion or belief is wrong. no way of escaping that little fact. now they should also see by your actions and what you do, to show and demonstrate and prove your right.

:P none of my friends talk about it, there addicted to videogames, the gaming sites, xplay a few shows but pretty quiet. i mean they spent what 100-200 mil on it, think there would be more publicity wouldnt you?
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 pm

HanClinto wrote:Hey, I want to see Yoda Stories as an iOS game!

I honestly don't know if you are serious or sarcastic. For the great majority, that would be a sarcastic comment, but I don't take you as sarcastic so I assume you are serious. Hey! I would love to get Yoda Stories too. I tried looking for the Gameboy version many years ago to get a portable version.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:16 am

SSquared wrote:
HanClinto wrote:Hey, I want to see Yoda Stories as an iOS game!

I honestly don't know if you are serious or sarcastic. For the great majority, that would be a sarcastic comment, but I don't take you as sarcastic so I assume you are serious. Hey! I would love to get Yoda Stories too. I tried looking for the Gameboy version many years ago to get a portable version.

Yeah, I was serious. After you made your post I realized that Yoda Stories would fit the iOS model pretty well. Wasn't there a companion game -- Indiana Jones' Desktop Adventures or something? I only played the demo and thought they were fun (in the Chip's Challenge sort of vein), and I think it would fit the format for iOS devices.

And yeah -- there's nothing wrong with hiring developers in San Francisco and the Philippines.
""

._Image
Treecleaver

Postby Treecleaver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 am

Other than the fact that I live in neither of those places, so hiring there hurts my job prospects. :P

But anyway, is Lucasarts actually dieing or just going downhill in the eyes of the OP?
achild

Postby achild » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 am

No clue what SF is like, but in the Philippines there is a desire for the Lord, and a will to do His work which we would do well to emulate throughout the entire United States (certainly not just specific Californian cities). Not to say they don't have their issues as well!

I am not judging them, i am taking there words, acts and deeds, what they say they believe and taking them at there word. obviously they are opposed to gods laws, it's why they are not being blessed, why there state is dieing, billions upon billions in debt, people leaving by hundreds of thousands, consumed with gangs and drugs, fighting, companies leaving.

Couldnt be more wrong, what gives the church a bad name is christians not acting like christians. how can you convert others to be christians if no one knows how one should act?

I agree! But what place in this world, exactly, does not fit that description? And which of us, as Christians on earth, has been perfected?
-------
As for the topic - Lucas Arts had 2 amazing innovations in technology which it's a shame they are losing/lost momentum.

1) Dynamic music. For maybe 15 or so years, they have had music which dynamically changes given the situation you are in during the game. WAY ahead of their time. In fact, I believe that DirectMusic (I really wish Microsoft hadn't abandoned it) was made in conjunction with a couple employees from Lucas Arts.... I think.

2) I remember playing a full out beautiful 3d game on my 386 back in the day at a decent (for the time) frame rate. They used these ultra-compressed, loopable movie sequences + scalable sprites + sequenced hit boxes to do the most amazing things. It was basically you playing a game in a literal movie. It was awesome, and again, way ahead of their time (though I'm not sure they were the first in this regard).

Anyway, video game companies, even the best of them, die out eventually (thus far in the short history of video game companies). What can ya do?
launcher

Postby launcher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 am

I know more then a few Philpeno's, it is like america in many respects. The big citys are like they are here, basically vice citys. There are very good christians there, the ones i talked to are in the farm lands and ruraler areas, the big citys do things like prostitue out the girls from age 12-13, drugs and things like that. Just like San Francisco, it was the hippy capital, the gay capital, anti religion capital, congregations of those who oppose gods teachings.

Where you build things greatly determines there sucess, while no place is perfect the direction people are aiming for and intentions matter. Games are built by people and the builders of the game imprint there tastes, morals, attitudeds and beliefs into a game. If you go to an atheist developer group and say make a christian game, its going to fall flat, have christians make an evolution game, it will also fail. a persons personal beliefs infilitrate into the games they make, if there communists making a free market game would be alien to them and opposed to there beliefs.

SWTOR should have been made in the midwest or south, Grand theft auto 5 should be made in sanfransisco, big game hunter should be made by rural people, gang wars should be made in a city. the point is you get people that understand the topics deeply, that like the topic, and knowledgeable, and the ideas arent alien. less of a learning curve, and they can contribute actively to the game building process, instead of being an observer.

a person in a certain culture knows there sayings, knows how they act, there motivations, you lose things when you have people working on games that know nothing about there topic, other then some reading they did.
SSquared

Postby SSquared » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 pm

HanClinto wrote:After you made your post I realized that Yoda Stories would fit the iOS model pretty well. Wasn't there a companion game -- Indiana Jones' Desktop Adventures or something?

I agree it would be fun on iOS. Yes, there was an Indiana Jones one that was similar. Funny, I only played the Yoda Stories demo, too. Bummed I never actually bought the game. Never got a chance to play the Indiana Jones one.
launcher

Postby launcher » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:53 pm

indiana jones on the wii was a lot of fun, you use the whip and gun, people watching laugh a lot, but its a lot of fun.
Istanbul

Postby Istanbul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:31 am

First of all, I would like to point out that Sadam was in fact killed quite recently. I don't think it has been long enough for there to be a 'modern' Sadam.

If, on the other hand, you perhaps meant to compare all of these locations to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah that were destroyed by fire and brimstone in Genesis, I think it is worth pointing out that God talked to Abraham about it, and would have spared the cities if he had found even 10 righteous living in the cities. Now, I'm not saying that SF and/or the Philippines don't have their share of sin, but, if you are honest with yourself, many of the same things that you are decrying (via vague reference) take place where you live as well. Additionally, there are a large number of churches in both SF and Philippines, and though I don't claim to have a census of who is righteous and who is not, I would venture to guess that there are at least 10 righteous in each of these places, so they have obviously not degenerated to 'Sodom and Gomorrah' levels yet.

As to whether LucasArts is dying or not, as you referenced in your first post, they are hiring. Generally companies that are dying do not hire more people. Also, LucasArts did die once, if I recall correctly.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:19 am

Excellent post, Istanbul. The point about the cities being spared if there were 10 righteous people in them is a great reminder.
""

._Image
launcher

Postby launcher » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:44 pm

it was originally 20, and it was lott :P

them citys maybe only had 1k-5k people. im sure he would want more then 10 to spare 3-4 million. yeah then he told them to leave the city. it probably isnt to that point yet, but in a few generations or less very likely. its a central point for many anti god groups, and by total coinsidence they sit on a fault over due to go off. if i was a christian and there, i would run as fast as i could... have to remember they are coinsidered the heart of the liberals, that wish to pass many laws and support many that oppose gods teachings. they say that 3/4 the people are liberal there. the christians will get squeezed out or join there neighbors.

god blesses his followers :P always important to remember and star wars is based on faith, prophecys and christian virtues. when you write from them its easier them writing about them with a 2nd hand perspective. its hard for us to imagine but some have no faith, no hope... how can they tell stories about those who dedicate there lifes to them values and ideals?
b-o

Postby b-o » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

Launcher, you've got it all wrong.. San Francisco is not the problem.. Jar Jar Binks was the death nail in star wars.. If San Francisco is a center of godlessness, I'd think that missionaries would want to go there rather than run away... Philippians 1:21
achild

Postby achild » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:44 am

I get that star wars is based on ideas of religion and philosophy, and I get that many have associated it with Christian beliefs (as well as other religions). But to say Star Wars itself is based on Christian beliefs or that it is an allegory for Christianity or some such.... is that true? Was George Lucas a Christian trying to spread the gospel in some way?

For instance, I know the lady that wrote Harry Potter actually became a Christian sometime mid-series. It's interesting to associate the series with Christianity and spiritual issues, but it was not originally intended to do so. So where does Star Wars (and Mr. Lucas) stand in all this?
launcher

Postby launcher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am

your totaly right he says to his faithful followers get out of town before he gets rid of it.

It's obvious if he can only find 10 decent honest people in a city of 3-4 million, thats a ... whats the mathamtical equation called? a standard devation i think? the extreme outliers in scatter graphs. where extreme outliers in a society or group are excluded from the group as a hole, because they dont fit in with the data. that they are not included in the group. like an example is when 98% of the students fail a test, 2% get an A, the teachers as a rule of thumb, drop the few highest and few lowest grades then find the average, to gauge where people are at.

Taking peoples words is in no way judging them, taking people at there word, is taking people at there word. They judged themselfs and passed it on, they take pride in there beliefs most the time... yeah... i made no judgements on them, just taking gods president of what he's done... the cain and able part also about god blessing able and marking cain for being the first murderer, obviously wasnt as blessed after that.

As christians we are supposed to be prepared, and knowledgeable. if you dont know what others believe how will you know who you should associate with? and who you need to help also, how can you convert people if your afraid to ask if they are christian? god most certainly does bless land i mean he made the jews wander the wilderness for 40 years, for misbehaving and the hole idol and orgy thing... before they would be fit to live on blessed land.

there is hours upon hours of geroge lucas interviews after every dvd is 1-2 hours of content, from animation, sets, and where the insperation comes from. He bases all the characters off religious characters. some greek and roman, but also uses history in the movies. for example the Emperor he never said who he was modled on but part of him seems to be made after caesar, probably part devil also.

But for example lets say you hire people lets say ones an atheist that mocks people of faith, ones a hippy that doesnt believe in war. lets say is a person that doesnt believe in guns, and looks down upon people of faith, lets say another is a vegetrain, into global warming and evolution. and you mix all these people together, what type of product will they come up with for example. likely mocking the jedi and there beliefs. More peace by comprimising peoples values and morals. the product and end result is fundamentaly different outcome, when the christian side is more inline with the jedis, for example the group i mentioned would be more receptive to an empire, with more socialism, tighter goverment controls, your asking them to bash there own beliefs, of course they will go milder and jab the other side some, by nature, or they would end up hating there job and quit. it would be like going to the cheese cake factory and asking them where the nearest doughnut shop is. might not be the best idea.

most people have issues understanding me it ok btw :P not sure how pictures would work here...
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am

But for example lets say you hire people lets say ones an atheist that mocks people of faith, ones a hippy that doesnt believe in war. lets say is a person that doesnt believe in guns, and looks down upon people of faith, lets say another is a vegetrain, into global warming and evolution.

A multidimensional story?

More peace by comprimising peoples values and morals. the product and end result is fundamentaly different outcome, when the christian side is more inline with the jedis

No, they're not. It's jedi. It's independent. Much more eastern influences, if you ask me.

the group i mentioned would be more receptive to an empire, with more socialism, tighter goverment controls, your asking them to bash there own beliefs, of course they will go milder and jab the other side some, by nature, or they would end up hating there job and quit.
This is pretty indicative how little you know about the "other side." Things are really pretty linear to you, huh?
You don't eat meat, don't like guns or christians? Well, you must like socialism and more government. [/sarcasm]

Just so you know, Star Wars was never written from your conservative christian viewpoint.

As christians we are supposed to be prepared, and knowledgeable.

Yes! We are! I'm glad you said that bec--
if you dont know what others believe how will you know who you should associate with?

oh. :(
I don't know, be like Jesus? Associate with the sinners, tax collectors, adulterers and romans, but not the pharisees. Those religious jerks only stick to themselves and push their shallow morality on everyone else rather than extend with open arms and love.
Q.E.D.

Return to “The Biz: Conference, Marketing, Distribution, PR Discussion”