Putting small one man projects on your resume?

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

Lava

Putting small one man projects on your resume?

Postby Lava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Lately I've been meaning to update my resume. And there's one area where I felt it was lacking-- the games I have created. Games like say my various speedgames, or projects like my space game.

The dilemma I am facing is that, I want to include these games on my resume (they were, after all, created by me and I put considerable effort into making them). But I also do not want to blow them out of proportion, like I'm some kind of big shot game developer. It would be slightly different if I worked on a team of developers, where I could state say "graphic artist on speedgame entry Righteous Rampage". But what do I do if I'm a one man band? Doing all of the art and code myself? I'm assuming "supreme creator of SpaceJourney" would be a tad cocky?

Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance! :)
samw3
Site Admin

Re: Putting small one man projects on your resume?

Postby samw3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Are you applying for an artistic or game development position? If not, I suggest just listing it as one line under hobbies. Not to minimize it, but I think expounding on your hobbies too much can make you look lazy. Unless, of course, you'll be doing that kind of work for a living.
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Ah ok, good point. Yeah, it is not for game development work.

So I think I will do that, thanks!
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 pm

One possiblity would be to use something like

"I have participated several times in yearly Speedgame game making competition, which have resulted in following games: Tonight Man...

...Tonight Man also won 1st prize on one of the categories. While Speedgame is not very big and famous competition, I however am personally proud for my 1st prize"