Good article on the state of Christian games

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

brandav

Re: Good article on the state of Christian games

Postby brandav » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I think the key to better quality Christian games is more experimentation and innovation. Once we stop trying to copy hits or make the next best AAA RPG or MMO, we can focus on creating small successes. Most Christian development companies are composed of a small team of people anyway and don't have the manpower to create large scale games. I think as the genre becomes more successful, it will become attractive to more developers.
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Welcome to CDN, bdmccowan! :)
brandav

Postby brandav » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks lava!

The article also makes me think about how desperately many Christian game developers are trying to escape the "preachiness" trap of their games. Could their attempt to get as far a way as possible from the trap cause the Christian undertones to become so subtle that the only Christian aspect left is the developer? If God's character can be seen in games such as Red Dead Redemption or The Walking Dead, what's the point in having the Christian game genre at all?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:00 am

bdmccowan wrote:Thanks lava!

The article also makes me think about how desperately many Christian game developers are trying to escape the "preachiness" trap of their games. Could their attempt to get as far a way as possible from the trap cause the Christian undertones to become so subtle that the only Christian aspect left is the developer? If God's character can be seen in games such as Red Dead Redemption or The Walking Dead, what's the point in having the Christian game genre at all?

Very nice!

To some degree, I see this prevalent elsewhere. In general, there is a big movement in the direction of "I'm not a Christian, I'm a Christ-follower" -- removing the Christian label / wrapping, and instead focusing on the day-to-day.

I'm not entirely convinced that's a bad thing. There was an excellent article I read recently, and in it there was a really good quote making the argument against explicitly Christian literature, because Christians need to be in all areas of life.

Gyah, I wish I could remember where I read that, since it was a really good article.

Anyways, yeah -- that's the classic (and somewhat intentional) ambiguity in the Christian Game Developers Conference. What's "Christian"? Are these Christian Games? Or Christian Developers? The CGDC sortof catered to both -- and I think CDN does the same thing.
""

._Image

Return to “The Biz: Conference, Marketing, Distribution, PR Discussion”