How not to develop a game: the Retro/Grade Post-mortem

Business discussions are here: Marketing, distribution, proposals, public relations, etc.

Moderator: samw3

CDNAdmin
Site Admin

How not to develop a game: the Retro/Grade Post-mortem

Postby CDNAdmin » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 pm

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017963/Obsessive-Compulsive-Development-Retro-Grade

Matt Gilgenbach discusses the 4 year development time behind Retro/Grade and how falling into the trap of loving your game too much is destructive to it and your life.

My favorite part of the presentation:

If you're even considering making something watch this presentation, it doesn't necessarily apply just to game development, it can apply to anything, Mr.Gilgenbach pours his heart out in a raw passionate way that's hard to pull yourself out of.
brandav

Re: How not to develop a game: the Retro/Grade Post-mortem

Postby brandav » Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 pm

That loop is SO easy to fall into. It's the gap between our expectations of the game and the reality of it. I haven't seen the video yet, but I'd say one of the best ways to break out of the loop is to set deadlines for your game. Otherwise, it may never ever get finished.

I'm "working" on a lot of projects right now, and although I really want to finish all of them, it's just not probable. I know there is a difference between what I want these games to be and what the games will turn out to be. And considering the constant influx of new ideas, I won't spend the time I need to really make these games solid.
Dizzyman572

Re: How not to develop a game: the Retro/Grade Post-mortem

Postby Dizzyman572 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:30 pm

That was a pretty interesting lecture. I really liked how honest the guy was about the troubled development of his own game and pretty much just warned fellow developers not to overdo it and try to keep to a set deadline.
Listen to counsel and accept discipline. That you may be wise the rest of your days.
Proverbs:19:20

Return to “The Biz: Conference, Marketing, Distribution, PR Discussion”