About Speed Coder Challenge

Code a game, draw some art, design a gameplay mechanic based on a theme in 2 hours!

Moderator: samw3

samw3
Site Admin

About Speed Coder Challenge

Postby samw3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:07 pm

12/03/09 - Rules Updated! See Below.
12/04/09 - Rules Updated Again! See Below.

Introducing the CDN Speed Coder Challenge!

Background
The Speed Coder Challenge started here as the Speedgame Competition: Ultra idea thought up by Mene-Mene and the folks on the IRC channel

What is it?
The Speed Coder Challenge is a challenge to write a program according to the challenge rules in One Straight Run of 2 Hours.

How often will it happen?
We will be releasing new topics for the Speed Coder Challenge monthly twice a month, and the challenge will happen during the first and third weeks of each month. So you have a week to find a 2hr slot that works for you and code your entry in one straight run.

Can't people cheat then?
This is a challenge, not a contest. The goal is to better yourself as a coder. And we trust you to be honest about your experiences with the challenge.

What about languages, tools, platforms, etc.
While we encourage cross-platform solutions so that everyone from the CDN community can check out your entry, you may use any language or platform.

When is it starting? Now?
Yup. I'm working on the first theme post now.

*About Art and Sound assets
Use whatever you want, but make sure you are allowed to do so (avoid copyrighted stuff). This challenge is about coding. You will only be evaluated on the function of your solution, not what it looks like.

*Ratings
Each entry will be self-rated as a PASS or FAIL. We'd like to emphasize that the Speed Coder Challenge is to test your own skills of coding and productivity. Your entries will only be rated based upon being able to accomplish the goal of the challenge.

*Critiques
Since the goal of this challenge is to better yourself, as a participant of the challenge you are encouraged to critique and comment on the other entries.

NOTE: Critiques are to be based solely upon the code. Not the art or sound or other incidentals. This is a coding contest. Art is superfluous, you will not be graded for your art.

Other Questions?
Just post your questions in this thread and we'll discuss them.

Happy Speed Coding!
bugala

Re: About Speed Coder Challenge

Postby bugala » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:53 pm

one thing.

Am i supposed to do everything in 2 hours, or just code?

So can i for example use 2 hours for coding and then use time to make decent graphics after that?
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:35 am

If I remember correctly, any art that we provide may be used, but if you want to use art outside of the provision, then it can only be a primitive. (like a rectangle, text or a triangle) I believe however, that art generated by code is fine regardless of how fancy.
M^2 out-
It's Time to get Terminal!
Kukanani

Postby Kukanani » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:08 am

Wait...we can used full-fleged art assets as long as we make them within the two hours, or what?

I understand this is a coding comp, but what if I want some nicer graphics?
"Blessed is the one whose way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord"
Psalm 119:1
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:04 am

We've changed our opinion. All art, music and sound must be completed during the challenge week by either you, or someone on your team. But in integrating new art, music and sound, none of the code can change.

I'd like to remind people undertaking the challenge that the art is simply there for aesthetic purposes and isn't the meat of the competition.
M^2 out-
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 am

Rules have been updated.. see above (if you didn't notice already)

Thanks for being patient as we get in the groove. :)
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 pm

If art is superfluous, then why can't we just use generic stock game art? Why do we have to come up all original assets each time?
""

._Image
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, shoot.. you've got a great point there. We started this idea as being a competition the art rules were to level the playing field, but now as has evolved into a personal challenge that is self evaluated perhaps a "no holds barred" approach is best (keeping only the 2hr rule).

Any other votes for the only rule being the game has to be coded in 2hrs? Where pre-existing code bases, libraries, art, sound, etc. is totally legal? Essentially it would boil down to, can you pull together and code something that is fun and complete and fits the theme in 2hrs. It sounds like enough of a challenge to me. What do you think?
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:04 pm

For a 2 hr comp, I admit, I do like the idea of having a provided piece of artwork (say, a sprite-sheet) that must be used (and perhaps _only_ that).

We could use sprite sheets from games we've already created, or defunct projects, ripped spritesheets (as long as it falls under fair use, but perhaps too gray), or even create new artwork for the comps (so long as it's not too much).

I really do like that idea.

--clint
""

._Image
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:07 pm

We could do that for future runs, but I didn't want to limit the challenge as a whole to a particular style. I know that some were considering doing a text game. But keeping things open where you could use whatever you like wouldn't restrict that.
achild

Postby achild » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:31 am

samw3 wrote:...
Any other votes for the only rule being the game has to be coded in 2hrs? Where pre-existing code bases, libraries, art, sound, etc. is totally legal? Essentially it would boil down to, can you pull together and code something that is fun and complete and fits the theme in 2hrs. It sounds like enough of a challenge to me. What do you think?

At least in terms of code, I don't know how this could be any different... otherwise the problem comes up of where do you draw the line of what is and isn't pre-existing code.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Ok, the rules have been updated once again :) Pretty much the only rule is that your entry mush be coded in One Straight Run of 2 Hours.

Thanks for the comments and discussion. We really want to make this a fun challenge where coders can grow and expand their horizons.

I'm looking forward to see what the participants will come up with :)

God Bless!
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 pm

if i'm doing a text-based game, can i write the "engine" in 2 hours, and then use as much time as i want to write the story in xml format? is the story considered "content" like the art is?
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:55 pm

thats real good point and question jetspice.

In my opinion. As long as the text is static, you can edit it.

So basically if you make a new serie of questions, that wouldnt be allowed, but changing text of pre-existing questions would be okay.

I also think that basically that engine goes to category "pre-existing code" so you can take your time making that engine, and then use it for 2 hours to make that game.

Although of course we could also see it as you attendig competition with engine you made in 2 hours and you demonstrate the engine with small game.

Basically i think the idea of competition is this:

You get a call from a game company "hey x, we got a problem here, could you please stop by here for a while?" "- okay"

So you go there and ceo of company says: "so this is the deal. We got all the graphics, plot, texts and music/sounds done, but we are completely missing the code. Problem is, that we have only 2 hours left for release. So use what ever language/program/pre-existing code you have, aand make this game to what ever state you in this timeframe can"

And since we dont have those gfx, plot etc. in advance, we can use one week to make those texts, plot, sounds, music, gfx in addition to 2 hours of raw coding or usage of some game maker.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah, that's the challenge exactly, bugala. The challenge is to *do* something that is, for the most part, complete.

So, yeah, JeT, it could be the engine that can finish the task, or it could be using an existing engine to finish the task. But don't submit an engine that doesn't have anything to do with the challenge.. like that isn't a GAME with the theme WANDER (using as example the first challenge).

Whatever you submit needs to be complete from that standpoint, and it needs to be done by the deadline. Also, it would be great for people to know what parts you did as a portion of the challenge.

God Bless!
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:08 pm

Bah, i cant find the original announcement of december 2009 Speed coder challenge.

So i ask in here.

I now did my game (executables for Windows, Amiga and MacOS). Where do i send it?
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Just upload it somewhere on the web and post your link in the following thread : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2533

If you don't have hosting service use Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM1Nzg4Mjk (if you sign up with that link I get and extra 250MB ;) )

It puts a folder on your system, and anything you drop into that folder is automagically backed up on the dropbox servers in your account. There is also a "Public" folder and whatever you drop in there is accessible to the web; you just right click the item and select "Copy Public Link" and you can paste that link in anywhere.

I've been using it for quite a while now and it's *really* handy for situations where you need to quickly get something up on the web and share it. No logging in to a site like photobucket to do it.. just drop it in a folder and it'll start uploading and, boom, it's live.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:50 pm

samw3 wrote:If you don't have hosting service use Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM1Nzg4Mjk (if you sign up with that link I get and extra 250MB ;) )

And seems i got extra 250 Mb too, by using your referral link.
mikale

Postby mikale » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Well, here it is!
http://lightningtoons.com/game.html
I actually finished it in an hour, so it was more of a challenge!
Mene-Mene
TALKer!

Postby Mene-Mene » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Hey mightybotme? Why not put it here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2533
M^2 out-

Return to “Speed Challenges!: Code, Art and Design!”