About Speed Art Challenge

Code a game, draw some art, design a gameplay mechanic based on a theme in 2 hours!

Moderator: samw3

Charlie

Re: About Speed Art Challenge

Postby Charlie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Could we set these up as subscription type things? As a couple other people have mentioned here, I always seem to peek in right after a challenge has ended. I would totally be all for being able to subscribe and get a PM or the like when a contest starts. I think I'd jump in on more of these with prompt notification. Thanks!
IrishCream

Postby IrishCream » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 am

Just as a heads up. I'll be posting one up this Sunday. I'm trying to have one every 4 weeks.
iank343

Postby iank343 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey, I'm a creative writer, so could I post a script for a quest? I write in the Sci-Fi Fantasy genera, so would people mind me making a word document for that?
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun May 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Its a friendly competition with no prizes with aim of having fun way to test yourself and improve and motivate yhourself, so no objections if you wish to make picture with words.

Or short novel about the topic or something similar.
Lava

Postby Lava » Sun May 15, 2011 5:59 pm

iank343 wrote:Hey, I'm a creative writer, so could I post a script for a quest? I write in the Sci-Fi Fantasy genera, so would people mind me making a word document for that?

I think that's a great idea-- maybe a separate branch of "Speed Word" challenges? Possibly with a reasonable word and time limit (no more than 300 words in 2 hours, etc.).

Even I'd take a stab at it.
Diroh

Postby Diroh » Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Lava wrote:
iank343 wrote:Hey, I'm a creative writer, so could I post a script for a quest? I write in the Sci-Fi Fantasy genera, so would people mind me making a word document for that?

I think that's a great idea-- maybe a separate branch of "Speed Word" challenges? Possibly with a reasonable word and time limit (no more than 300 words in 2 hours, etc.).

Even I'd take a stab at it.

I totally agree. i like writing storylines and books and anithing thats fiction and you can read! :D

EDIT: i would make it "speed story"
Just got back to programming!
launcher

Postby launcher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

can't an upload picture area be put into the server?

when ever i use image shack they try assimilating my computer into there collective, and it slows it down to a snail pace for days after i use it online. something odd about that site.
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 am

launcher wrote: when ever i use image shack they try assimilating my computer into there collective

I think your problem is using Image Shack. I find Photobucket to be much better.

BTW, nice Borg reference! :)
launcher

Postby launcher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:01 pm

alright thanks for the tip :)
launcher

Postby launcher » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:39 pm

so anyways it has been over 2 months since the last art contest? time for one?
launcher

Postby launcher » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:09 am

:P for the next speed art challenge i have some possible ideas, been 2 weeks since the last one :P

a intimidating build?

a scary building (things like clothing stores with people that wont stop shopping and you went with them, or like a haunted house)?

Some monster?

or some vehical?

or maybe a crazy looking weapon?
launcher

Postby launcher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:35 pm

:P wow no challenges recently...
Istanbul

Postby Istanbul » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm looking forward to the next one too, Launcher. :)
launcher

Postby launcher » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 am

no forum posts on the entire site in like 2 weeks... um maybe time for multiple challenges?
mikale

Postby mikale » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:39 pm

It's sad when the forums are so dead that no one talks about how dead they are.
launcher

Postby launcher » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 pm

exactly maybe some competitions or something will liven it up some more?
mikale

Postby mikale » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

The Speed Art and Speed Coder challenges are good. I've always wanted the SpeedGame contest to be bi-annual. But of course that's a lot more work for the admins.

Maybe there could be a "just for fun" SpeedGame in the Spring with no prizes (except for dev points), and the fall one could be taken more seriously?
launcher

Postby launcher » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:35 pm

i think it would be neat if one lasted longer and wasnt so much about speed? like a 3 month time period type thing...

if only i could figure out how to bake an object in blender :P tutorial for everything but that, and those that have part dont say what there doing... then i could make a 3d city, and be pretty cool :)
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm

mightybotme wrote:Maybe there could be a "just for fun" SpeedGame in the Spring with no prizes (except for dev points), and the fall one could be taken more seriously?

The last speed game only had dev points. So either the "fun" competition would need to have a lower dev point pay off or none at all....or if you wanted to be counter intuitive, we could actually give the "fun" competition large cash prizes :mrgreen:.

Though, I'm not sure why the "just for fun" speedgame would have to be a competition and not just another type of challenge. That way it could just be an extension of the speedcoder challenge (or all of the speed challenges put together, depending on how you look at it). Just give it a longer deadline to submit something and allow people up to like a week or two to work on their game (anything longer than 2 hours).

In fact, I know many of us have already released full fledged games for the speedcoder-- just on a smaller scale than the speedgame. I even have plans to use my last speedcode entry and the next few as a foundation for my next speedgame :)
mikale

Postby mikale » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 pm

launcher wrote:i think it would be neat if one lasted longer and wasnt so much about speed? like a 3 month time period type thing...

I don't think anyone wants SpeedGame to be longer. I know I wouldn't. I'd rather it be shorter like one week and be fully committed than longer; that would only gives us more time to procrastinate :P

Things would be fine the way they are if only they would keep posting new SpeedCoder and SpeedArt challenges every 2 weeks like they said they would. Then maybe I could find time to enter one :lol: