Speed Coder #16

Code a game, draw some art, design a gameplay mechanic based on a theme in 2 hours!

Moderator: samw3

Tyraziel

Speed Coder #16

Postby Tyraziel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 pm

Time for another CDN Speed Coder Challenge

You people are crazy, so crazy even, we have something special in store for the sweet 16th edition of Speed Coder!

The Challenge:
Write a GAME with *just* BLUE YELLOW and RED Squares!

You may use text in the HUD and for other Game States, like PAUSED or GAME START, or PRESS SCREEN TO START, etc, but NO OTHER text is allowed! (Sorry no IF this time for those that can code in Inform.)

Remember:
A game has either a WIN/LOSE(like Super Mario) or a SCORE/LOSE(PacMan) system and should have a significant challenge to be (subjectively)enjoyable.

Your game can be anything from text made with squares to 3d squares, with the goal of doing it in 2hrs. (Let us know if you go over.)

All entries must be submitted by:
11:59PM EST Sunday, August 19th, 2012

Submitting an entry in this thread, within the time frame, will earn you , if you use NO TEXT whatsoever you will earn an additional !

Have fun and be a better coder!

To Read the Full Rules Click Here
Tyraziel / Andrew
Java Developer
Corona SDK Developer

"I fight for the users!" - Tron (Tron: Legacy 2010)

Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution.

--END OF LINE--
Treecleaver

Re: Speed Coder #16

Postby Treecleaver » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Well, I tried. Things went quite smoothly for the first hour, but as I implemented the combat mechanics around the 1:20 mark I ran into a bunch of duplication bugs that crippled me for the rest of the time. Next time I'll be more careful about what is an object and what is a reference. At the 2 hour mark the game was essentially unplayable: although you could move units around combats would tend to result in units added rather than destroyed and units could teleport/switch colors unpredictably.

After about 15 minutes of overtime bugfixing I got this, which is playable as a two-player game. Red fights Blue for control of a square grid and the yellow resources contained therein. Had I wasted less time I would have liked to implement ways for the resources to respawn and more variable combat to allow for longer and more interesting games. Eventually I would also like to have some AI, but that's well beyond a 2-hour task.
blendenzo

Postby blendenzo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Do they have to be primary colors, or can we use gradients and fancy shaders and stuff? Can I use a black and white grid, or give the background a color?

(I'm being serious, btw. I want to be sure I'm clear on what you mean by "*just* BLUE YELLOW and RED squares")

Also, so I understand, you're saying that spelling out words with the squares is fine, correct?
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:26 am

blendenzo wrote:Do they have to be primary colors, or can we use gradients and fancy shaders and stuff? Can I use a black and white grid, or give the background a color?

(I'm being serious, btw. I want to be sure I'm clear on what you mean by "*just* BLUE YELLOW and RED squares")

Also, so I understand, you're saying that spelling out words with the squares is fine, correct?
Blendezno, just make a game with just blue yellow and red squares. :) The goal is to focus on mechanics instead of a visual theme. My game has a black background and uses primary colors.
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:33 am

And, here's my entry:

The Square Games

Arrows = Move
Z = Fire
X = Shield

HUD: Life top left, Shield top right, Score on bottom.

Our engine is currently broken from the SpeedGame, so I coded this totally from scratch in java in 2hrs 27mins.

This game is written in Java.
Depending on your system, you might need to run the game from the command line. Use: java -jar game.jar
mikale

Postby mikale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:17 am

Nice entry, Sam! I like the HUD and everything :)
samw3
Site Admin

Postby samw3 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks!
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:18 am

@Treecleaver

Your game wouldnt load on my firefox. All i get is white screen.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:20 am

@samw3

Ha! That was brilliant samw3 how you used even squares to mark the points and shield and all.
Treecleaver

Postby Treecleaver » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 pm

@bugala: Hmm, it's doing the same thing for me. I must have broken the page when I put up the bugfixed version. I'll try to fix it later this evening.
bugala

Postby bugala » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:19 am

Here comes my speedgame entry titled "Samw3s modern 3d shooter game"

Different versions:
Win32 (works on Win64 too)
Android
Linux
Linux (PPC)
MacOs (PPC)
MacOS (x86)
AmigaOS 3

Win32 version works simply by unpacking the zipfile (2 files) where ever you want and then double clicking the .exe file.

I havent tested the android version since i dont have device to test it with, so it would be nice if someone would check it it works at all. I have my suspicion that it wont work because of the Ogg Vorbis sounds that i dont think are supported in Hollywoods Android version yet.

However, to install Android version:
1. go to Google Play and Install Hollywood player from there to your android device.

2. After that you download the Android version from here and move it to same folder as that hollywood player is.

3. After that you should be able to start it inside the hollywood player.

If someone who can would test this out and tell me the error message that comes (supposing it doesnt work and it gives any error message), it would be much appreciated.

For rest of the versions, since I dont have acces to Mac or Linux, you have to partially figure out yourself how to get them to work. But basic idea should be that:

1. you put the .exe file where ever you like.

2. After that you get your machines version of oggvorbis.hwp file from Here and you copy this file to same folder as that .exe file is.

3. and after that it should work by simply runing that .exe file.

Bit about the game.

This is my first attempt at making mobile device game. Unfortunately i dont have right device myself, so i had to try out with computer and mouse and just make a good guess wether size of squares were good to be played by finger.

Since i suppose most of you will be using computer too, i made the time on levels in accordance to you using mouse. Since i think using fingers on android device would be faster.

This took about 7 hours to make in total. i would say about 3 hours of actual coding, and 4 hours of level design and other stuff.

There is one bug in this game which makes it so that sometimes when you drop the yellow square to blue square it doesnt react to it. But you can simply click on top of the yellow square then to get it to react.

Because I didnt think it right from beginning, it will end/crash everytime you get game over or you coplete the game.

This has 10 levels in total.
Last edited by bugala on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lava

DON'T TOUCH IT!

Postby Lava » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:48 am

Here is my game, DON'T TOUCH IT!

It was coded in the Monkey Coder demo. It took me about an hour and a half to make this, however, I did use some existing code (code for moving left and right, and getting functions started and various code from the examples in Monkey's help files). Here is my source.

Left and right arrows move the player left and right, and pressing up or space makes the player jump.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

@Lava, well.. i was hoping for more, but except for the confusion wether i played it right or not, it was sort of funny joke.
Lava

Postby Lava » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Bugala, I did a feel a bit more restrained with this prompt. But I gave in at the last minute and added text.

BTW, thanks for playing my game. I now know it works. I liked your game, though like you said, there were some problems dragging the squares.
bugala

Postby bugala » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:48 pm

@Lava
I also guess it took you so long to make something that simple because you tried out a new programming language. I checked the code to make sure i played it right actually.

It was quite readable code.

and thanks from trying my game. I was quite happy what i achieved with it despite that dragging thing. I liked even playing it myself (and it takes me couple of tries usually to actually complete it even myself)

@all

just so you know Treecleavers game is now working and i have to say that despite it being far from being complete the way he meant, he in my opinion have achieved quite complex (in positive sense) game in such a short time.