SpeedCode Challenge 17: Speed

Code a game, draw some art, design a gameplay mechanic based on a theme in 2 hours!

Moderator: samw3

CDNAdmin
Site Admin

SpeedCode Challenge 17: Speed

Postby CDNAdmin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Write a game about SPEED.

Remember:
A game has either a WIN/LOSE (like Super Mario) or a SCORE/LOSE (PacMan) system and should have a significant challenge to be (subjectively) enjoyable.

The theme "SPEED" can be interpreted however you like.

Your game can be anything from text mode to 3d, so long as you can do it in 2 HOURS.

All entries must be submitted by MARCH 22ND.

Have fun and be a better coder!

For more information about the Speed Code Challenges, click here.
brandav

Re: SpeedCode Challenge 17: Speed

Postby brandav » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 pm

This is my first speedcode challenge, and my first time creating a complete game in visual studio c++ using the cocos2dx library. I will say this was a great, and a little nerve-wracking, experience. All the art, and the bulk of the code was completed in less than two hours. However, the next several hours was spent preventing crashes, bug fixing, and trying to figure out how to successfully deploy the project. I'm not sure if I should even submit it because of this extra time used. But, alas, I will showcase it anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvrfkqqnyvk2c ... Spirit.rar
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Well, I attempted to make a 3D asteroids game in the time using Unity. After about an hour and a half it became obvious it wouldn't get done on time. Now I've completely lost all motivation to work on that idea.

Harder than making the game in two hours, is designing a game that can be made in two hours (and is interesting enough to me that I'd like to make it).

I'll have to give speed game a try next time that comes around. Don't think I'll do any of these in future though, unless I get some brilliant idea.
brandav

Postby brandav » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Harder than making the game in two hours, is designing a game that can be made in two hours
That's a key point right there. But the brilliance of these speed code challenges is that they help bridge the gap between the great ideas in our head and what can actually be done in a given amount of time.
TheLittleSettler

Postby TheLittleSettler » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 pm

After a little more thought, I know I will most likely do the next SpeedCode. When would the next one be?

Ahh, that's a thought. Next time I might spend a good week or so designing, then it would come to a two hour climax when I've chosen a design I believe can be done in such a time.

Also, congrats on completing that game.
brandav

Postby brandav » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks, yea I agree that the design preparation should be complete before the two hours start. It shouldn't take too long, though. A game that takes a week to design conceptually might be tough to develop in two hours.

There is also a gray area in design prep. How technical can the design prep get (like which functions to create, parameters to pass, variable types to use, etc.)? Or should it just be in-game rules/mechanics and visual design. Personally, I made a few scribbles on the back of an envelope regarding rules, images, and a few necessary functions (i.e. buildSandwich() ) beforehand.

But I think only the actual game creation (programming, art, sound) needs to be finished in under two hours. I'm not sure if this was covered in the rules or not.

Speedcode challenges are scheduled twice a month.
mikale

Postby mikale » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I like your entry bdmccowan! And cocos2d-x looks interesting. I told my friend about it, since I don't know C++ but my friend and I might be making a game with it.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Heres my late entry to Speedcoder 17:

Samw3s Ultimate 3D RAC Rally Racer Super World Championship!

Took me about 3 hours.

Executables:
PC: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedcoder17pc.exe
Linux: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedcoder17linux.exe
Mac: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedcoder17macosi386
Amiga: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3375468/speedc ... igaOS3.exe

If you need PPC versions, let me know and I will make them.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:10 pm

@bdmccowan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvrfkqqnyvk2c ... Spirit.rar[/quote]

It complains "Couldnt find MSVCP100.dll"

Any idea how to fix that problem?
mikale

Postby mikale » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Nice game, bugala. I successfully made it one and a half laps around while avoiding Lava's. XD

Also
bugala wrote:Heres my late entry to Speedcoder 17
Psst.. SpeedCoder #18 it out: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4620
brandav

Postby brandav » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

@bugala, I dropped a copy of the dll in the zip file, so you can see if it works now. I'm not sure why it worked on other people's computers, but it may have something to do with needing to have visual studio installed or at least having the visual studio deployment package on your computer. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

also bugala, your game is crazy hard haha! I kept hitting that lava spot right in the middle after the rounding the corner at the top. After strategizing a bit, I managed to get up to 64 km/hr before losing control. pretty fun, thanks!

@mightybotme, thanks man! Yea, cocos2dx has some useful tools, once you get the hang of it. I mainly chose it for its versatility, since it runs successfully on both visual studio and xcode.
bugala

Postby bugala » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm

@bdmccowan

I guess it is the lack of Visual C++.

Now it got past that error, but now it is complaining about MSVCR100.dll
brandav

Postby brandav » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm

lol ok i put that dll in the zip file too... i wonder what else it will ask for

edit: i also dropped in another dll you might need, and if that doesn't work, i also put in the visual c++ redistributable package. so it should definitely work after you install that. Sorry for all the trouble. I'm still learning all this deployment stuff.
bugala

Postby bugala » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:55 am

@bdmccowan

Now I got it to work. Quite good idea you had there. I got 1 000 points (5 delivered plus one incorrect, and last one was missing only one more ingredient anymore - doh!)

But one suggestion. I think it would be much better if you gave player only 1 minute of time.

3 minutes is too long. With 1 minute I think I would have player it couple of times to try get better score, but three minutes is too long a time, so i didnt want to use another (well, actually third since first game i missed putting those all between breads part from instructions) three minutes anymore.

I especially liked that you made some christian themed small game, and your idea wasnt even bad.
brandav

Postby brandav » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks bugala! and I'm glad the game finally worked for you :)