Code for the Kingdom Hackathon San Francisco June 28-30

Code a game, draw some art, design a gameplay mechanic based on a theme in 2 hours!

Moderator: samw3

code4thekingdom

Code for the Kingdom Hackathon San Francisco June 28-30

Postby code4thekingdom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:29 am

48 HOURS TO DEVELOP amazing apps for God’s Kingdom

$11,000K CASH AWARDS

For more information visit http://www.codeforthekingdom.org

Join an incredible group of techies who are applying their skills and experiences to advance common good and serve God’s Kingdom.

In collaboration with innovative nonprofits and churches, we will write code that matters!

SOCIAL JUSTICE
How can technology alleviate poverty, lift the fatherless, combat human trafficking, release the oppressed, heal the sick, and feed the hungry?

SPIRITUAL FORMATION
Which new technologies will you create to impact discipleship through prayer, study, worship, church and community involvement?

STRONGER & HEALTHIER MINISTRIES
Can you create technologies to increase the impact and reach of ministries, help create a culture of generosity, and equip leaders for the work of ministry?

540 Howard Street, 2nd Floor San Francisco, CA
REGISTER AT http://codeforthekingdomsf.eventbrite.com/#
COST $40
bugala

Re: Code for the Kingdom Hackathon San Francisco June 28-30

Postby bugala » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Anyone know about this more? Is this for the first time, or have there been previous ones already?

For it sounds interesting try, but I am just wondering what can be done on apps in 48 hours time only. Sounds like its bit restricted.

I also wonder how many will participate in competing on this for although Christian Developers might not have been that well marketed, it is anyway quite foundable for those who take initiative and yet the amount of games in speedgame competitions have been roughly put 10.
code4thekingdom

Postby code4thekingdom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm

It will be our first event. We are following the weekend Hackathon model tha companies such as Google and Linkedin, as well as the Startup hacks, have already proven sucessful. Some of the organizers of this hackathon have actually led other hackathons, such as CleanWeb Worldwide but not for this particular cause.

Having said that, you are right to think that 48 hours will be somehow limiting. So instead of waiting until the day of the event to announce the challenges to let the participants start working, we are going to announce the challenges a few weeks in advance to registered participants. In that way participants will be able to start brainstorming together solutions for the challenges, and they will be free to start forming teams to work on their ideas during their own time prior to the event. Our hope is that by doing so, the results at the end of the event will be better than had we waited until the event to let them work. Yet, we are also allowing anyone just to start working on the day of the event, and that is the reason for the Best New Code award.

We will be focusing on three themes: 1) Social Justice challenges from a Christian perspective, 2) Spiritual formation, and 3) Stronger and Healthier ministries. Each of the themes will have about three challenges for the technologists to select to work on.

After the event, we are going to tell the thousands of church leaders who participate in the different Leadership Network programs about the technologies, solutions, teams, and organizations that came and earned awards during the hackathon. We expect in this way to do what Leadership Network does, which is to accelerate the process of innovation adoption by the Church.
bugala

Postby bugala » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Thanks for answering, but one more question please.

It seems to me that you need to attend it physically, but its not clearly said in there.

Do you have to participate there physically, or can you attend through internet?

For example I myself live in Finland, so coming there is pretty much out of question in this short notice. And although I never made any applications before, It could be good practice to try and figure out one, and therefore I might participate in something motivating like this just for the practice sake even it would cost that 40 USD.
code4thekingdom

Postby code4thekingdom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm

You are correct. For this one you need to be there physically. We are doing it this way to make sure we do the physical one well before we introduce the remote component. After San Francisco, we will do events in other hi-tech hubs around the USA: Research Triangle, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, and Los Angeles. It is our hope that by the time we do Austin, we will have the model fine tuned enough to allow remote participation. Austin might not be until next year during South by Southwest.

We very much appreciate your interest and kind words of support.
Blessings