SpeedGame 2017 Dates?

Talk about this years SpeedGame here!

Moderator: samw3

sketche99

SpeedGame 2017 Dates?

Postby sketche99 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am

Hello all,
I think that now is a great time to come up with the SpeedGame 2017 dates (in April/May)
As I felt that last years' SpeedGame was completely an afterthought, and I look forward to SpeedGame every year I felt a little let down.
However, I do think we have enough time now to setup dates and even if done early enough, the games can have the option of being seen at CGDC this year,
if not in playable demo form, at least in one of those cool compilation videos made after every SpeedGame [except last years] and since we already know when CGDC is...
(Dates for this year's CGDC are July 20-22, 2017)
Just wondering how everyone else feels about this...
I don't know how many people visit the forums, as I usually come around SpeedGame time (from May to about September) myself so I'll post this on the Facebook group as well.

God Bless,

Sketch
ExevaloN

Re: SpeedGame 2017 Dates?

Postby ExevaloN » Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 am

I am totally down for this as I've participated since 2014. I always look forward to this event. We seem to have slow responses though, and I also only visit the forums around SpeedGame challenge time as well.
One thought opens a thousand eyes. One sun brings a thousand dawns.
—Lightbringer creed
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 am

Let me tell you, I am disappointed over last years speed game challenge. It was sloppy executed by the administrators. It did not give exact time when to start, like 6 a.m. EST. Because I follow Swedish time I started some hours before Americans and was more or less called a cheater here on this forum. Then there was no voting and no prizes. Jesus say: ”for the laborer is worthy of his wages” (Luke 10:7). But no ”wages” was given…

And there were almost no competitor. And the games… well I and another one made complete small games, another one made a game but broke the rules by using paid tiles and another one released a beta filled with bugs.

Because I want a real game challenge this year I will announce my own Speed Game challenge, on this forum, and there will be prizes and winners.

I will post information about this in the upcoming few days!
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:14 pm

I have now posted my game challenge for this year in the forum part "Project Announcements, Showcase and Developments"
Direct link to my thread is: http://www.christiandevs.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=87053&sid=c3a8b3b0fb295732dc76c6936aab8842&sid=c3a8b3b0fb295732dc76c6936aab8842#p87053

I call it "Summer Game Challenge 2017". Check it out!
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 am

Hey Isaiah222, just wondering of the descriptions you gave of last years speed game, which one was my game?
Just curious, as I don't remember getting too much feedback on my game.
Since feedback helps you make your game better...
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:56 am

sketche99 wrote:Hey Isaiah222, just wondering of the descriptions you gave of last years speed game, which one was my game?
Just curious, as I don't remember getting too much feedback on my game.
Since feedback helps you make your game better...

Well if I remember correctly you was the one who used payed tiles and made a GameBoy looking game. Now the graphic was great and the game looked better then any other game in the challenge, but because you did not make the graphic, I could not say ”beautiful game you made” - I would if you made the graphic. And I also feelt that "Hey, you broke the rules".. but I did not say anything back then...

It is not easy telling people what you think. I don not want to hurt peoples feelings. :?

But you are welcome to compete in my Summer Game Challenge 2017. And I have a lot more relaxed rules.
sketche99

Postby sketche99 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:23 pm

No offense taken, and no hurt feelings here.
We are (or at least should striving to be) all brothers and sisters in Christ here.
We are among friends, not enemies!

As for the point about paid (or free - like opengameart.org) assets, they do help in a time sensitive game jam (like the speedgames) and I do think they are allowed if they are credited as such.
I forgot to put my credits in after the "You Win" screen. Probably due to time crunch, but I do credit the assets I use (some of my previous speedgame entries like: Forgive or Revenge [2015], No More Burnt Offerings [2014], Christians Don't Play Video Games [2013] and Overcomer [2012] all have credits screens)

Now for the part about last years speedgame not having prizes, and I love prizes as much as the next person who likes free things, but speaking for myself only now, one of the biggest draws to speedgame for me is to see if I can make a Christian video game based on a given theme in a given time. There is such a lack of Christian video games available, I figured i'd try to throw my hat into the pot and make that number a tad bit larger. Are my games good? Maybe, maybe not, but its the thought and effort that really counts. This also why I try to make various types of Christian games (for example Forgive or Revenge [2015] = 2.5D platformer, No More Burnt Offerings [2014] = 3rd person platformer, Christians Don't Play Video Games [2013] = full motion video/visual novel, Overcomer [2012] = open world/free roaming gameplay, and Names of the Lord [2011] = 1st person exploration) And counts even more so for me as I have an 18 month old daughter that loves showing dada she knows how to cut on all of his video games and wants to play with dada (and sometimes for dada, as dada is in the middle of a boss fight...) No prize is really needed for me. Completing my project is enough of an accomplishment for me.

That being said, of course I'll enter your summer game challenge 2017 the more Christian game jams the better!
Isaiah222

Postby Isaiah222 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:23 pm

sketche99 wrote:No offense taken, and no hurt feelings here.
We are (or at least should striving to be) all brothers and sisters in Christ here.
We are among friends, not enemies!

As for the point about paid (or free - like opengameart.org) assets, they do help in a time sensitive game jam (like the speedgames) and I do think they are allowed if they are credited as such.
I forgot to put my credits in after the "You Win" screen. Probably due to time crunch, but I do credit the assets I use (some of my previous speedgame entries like: Forgive or Revenge [2015], No More Burnt Offerings [2014], Christians Don't Play Video Games [2013] and Overcomer [2012] all have credits screens)

Now for the part about last years speedgame not having prizes, and I love prizes as much as the next person who likes free things, but speaking for myself only now, one of the biggest draws to speedgame for me is to see if I can make a Christian video game based on a given theme in a given time. There is such a lack of Christian video games available, I figured i'd try to throw my hat into the pot and make that number a tad bit larger. Are my games good? Maybe, maybe not, but its the thought and effort that really counts. This also why I try to make various types of Christian games (for example Forgive or Revenge [2015] = 2.5D platformer, No More Burnt Offerings [2014] = 3rd person platformer, Christians Don't Play Video Games [2013] = full motion video/visual novel, Overcomer [2012] = open world/free roaming gameplay, and Names of the Lord [2011] = 1st person exploration) And counts even more so for me as I have an 18 month old daughter that loves showing dada she knows how to cut on all of his video games and wants to play with dada (and sometimes for dada, as dada is in the middle of a boss fight...) No prize is really needed for me. Completing my project is enough of an accomplishment for me.

That being said, of course I'll enter your summer game challenge 2017 the more Christian game jams the better!

I agree wholeheartedly about there being to few christian games out there. That’s the soul purpose I design games and a reasons I choose a challenge with a bit longer developing time and more relaxed rules, when it come to using graphic and audio others have made. I also wanted people to be able to use old game ideas they never realized.

I would be the happiest person in the world if my challenge would generate a handful of christian game, or more. The prize is not all, but I like prizes, that’s why I want to have them! =)

And if I can give you a one year later constructive criticism to you last speed game – I have not played any other game you made – it is making the enemies more challenging. I remember thinking the enemies was to easy and that game was boring… Harder enemies would have made the game more interesting – for me anyway. I remember that I liked the controls – which was perfect.

Return to “SpeedGame 2016”