Question about Programming Software for 9-year old

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
splads

Question about Programming Software for 9-year old

Postby splads » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 am

I would like to introduce my 9-year old to making games. I'm more than a little worried about introducing him to pictures, templates, or images of the female form. He'll have enough trouble with that as the teenage years take over.

I've seen Gamemaker Studio, Construct 2, and Multimedia Fusion 2. Does anyone know - are these fairly clean out of the box?

Thank you!
b-o

Re: Question about Programming Software for 9-year old

Postby b-o » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 pm

I think you can download free versions of game maker and construct 2 with limited features, and check them out to see if you approve of the included content in provided examples. The registered versions have more features, but not necessarily new graphical content. The main concern in your situation should probably be limiting your child's use of the forums associated with those programs, as many people upload content to the forums you would likely not approve of for your child.
bugala

Re: Question about Programming Software for 9-year old

Postby bugala » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 am

My guess is same as B-Os that content in packages themselves might not necessarily be offensive, but stuff people make with them and post to the official forums for sure is.

I have tried Construct 2, but only very little. I made the first example game which was Arkanoid type of game, and at least there was nothing offensive, quite the opposite, it was very kids friendly graphics by having looks of candy bars (those red-white striped barber bars that look like mint bars and a kid carrying a plate or something to bounce the ball with). But dont know about the rest of the examples.

Return to “Other Discussions, Introducing Yourself and General”