Old hard-drive wouldn't start, got a new one, info swap?

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
Realm Master

Old hard-drive wouldn't start, got a new one, info swap?

Postby Realm Master » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 am

hey guys!
Me again, and my "excuse" this time is my computer finally going "wiggity-wiggety-wack" on me.
Being one who is very unskilled in hardware computer mangagment, its taken me a bit to get my new hard-drive up and running, and everything installed correctly.
but I was wondering is there any way of transferring data from my old hard-drive (which wasn't nessecarily fried, it just wouldn't let me start the OS or anything) to some back-up harddrive or something like that?
just wondering,
thanks guys!
its actually kinda cool to have a blank computer to work with... only there are some stuff that I do miss and would like to get back
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
SSquared

Re: Old hard-drive wouldn't start, got a new one, info swap?

Postby SSquared » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 pm

There are a few things you can try. If it wasn't fried, it's still possible to diagnose the issue and maybe have it fully working again. And if it just wasn't going into Windows, then you may still be able to salvage the data you have on there.

First of all, I highly recommend getting a backup external drive. You will need it.

One thing you can try is to swap the old drive back in to the computer. While it's doing the loading screen, hit F8 or F12 or whatever F key it is (I can never remember the function key so I just scramble and hit them all). This will bring up some options and one option is sometimes to go directly into DOS (rather than Windows). Select this option and hook up the external drive. Hopefully USB drivers are working. Now you should be able to manually copy files from the old drive to the external.

Another option is to keep your new drive as the master, but insert the old drive as the slave unit. You will need to find your manual on the old drive and figure out how to properly set the jumpers on the drive to assign it as a slave unit. Once that is done, boot up the computer and you can transfer the files over to the new drive or off to the external drive.

From there you can wipe out your original drive and use it as a 2nd drive. Or just keep it the way it is.

In either case, an external drive is always helpful to maintain backup data.
My quote: Have I mentioned I love C# and the iPad?
Another quote: Have I mentioned I love the iPad?
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

thanks SSquared! I think i'll try the first method, since I do have an external around here somewhere, and I'm not sure how to go about making a slave drive. :P
thanks for the help!
Lava, June 10th 2008:
"You can take the Realm out of the girls thread but you can't take the girls thread out of the Realm...."
christo

Postby christo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 am

First thing I would try is to attempt to fix the original drive so it could boot properly again. Main thing I can think of to try is the XP Quick Boot Disk from http://bootdisk.com direct link is http://www.rloe.com/ken/xpquick.exe and pretty much follow the instructions below for the 98SE bootdisk.

Some other ways to do it
[*]get a boot disk image from http://bootdisk.com if the partition is Fat32 I prefer using the windows 98SE boot disk. Run the exe you downloaded with a floppy disk in the drive. Wait for it to complete. Reboot with floppy still in the drive. Many computers will try to boot the floppy first.if so welcome to DOS.
Otherwise you may need to go into the BIOS. A screen that shows up when you first boot the computer should say which key to press(will say something about "setup"). There will be instructions on the screen on how to navigate the BIOS screen. find the boot order and change it such that the floppy drive comes first. Save and Exit. Wait for the computer to reboot and with any luck you should enter DOS.
unfortunately the DOS method typically doesn't work well with usb.

[*]Get a LiveCD distribution of linux like knoppix and use it to copy the files(may require some knowledge of the unix filesystem). should work with usb or second hard drive.
Realm Master

Postby Realm Master » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 pm

thanks christo!
I'll do my best to try that, but I'm not sure how I'll do
:P
Lava, June 10th 2008: