Large Hadron Collider

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
ArchAngel

Large Hadron Collider

Postby ArchAngel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:10 pm

http://www.lhc-live.com/
Here's a live feed to the LHC in Switzerland.

Pretty cool, technology. They should be firing it up soon.
Q.E.D.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Re: Large Hadron Collider

Postby HanClinto » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:16 pm

This is another site I like to use to get live status updates on the LHC:
http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/
""

._Image
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:23 pm

is there any way I can get an RSS feed off that site to keep me updated?
Q.E.D.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:25 pm

""

._Image
Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Nice URL. :shock:
Treverend

Postby Treverend » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Why are they even trying to build a machine to imitate the big bang? It's nonsense. Also they were talking about the price of that machine and how much moolah it cost them to build and I guess with the money they invested into it they could feed the world for years. Oh and get this, America alone spends enough on just ice cream that we could pay for the whole world to eat. And instead of helping people we spend our money so foolishly to replicate something scientist are not even sure ever happened. It would be interesting because they are doing more with it than to test the big bang theory but the amount of $$$ they spent on it makes me cringe especially since I been to some poverty places.
My favorite Bible verse:
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:52 pm

Alright, I'll bite.

The cost of the LHC could feed the whole world? The LHC costs, estimated, 4.5 billion dollars. It's a lot, but it's not that much. In 2007, American's gave over $306 billion to charities. Not all, granted, are involved with feeding hungry, but I'm willing to bet over 1% are. So, we already have more money than what you specified going to the hungry.
They aren't nearly being fed. You want to know why? (and I'm ignoring the incredible cost of overhead and all the money that never reaches the poor and hungry)

Because you can't sustain a world's population simply by throwing money at it. You have to contribute to infrastructure capable of sustaining it. Ignoring the errancies of the statement, You want to know why we spend more on ice cream than what could "Feed" the rest of the world? Because we can. Because we developed a stable structure capable of more than sustaining our population. Resources are available, but many third world countries, plagued with political strife and corrupt governments, are unable to take advantage of it. And so, we donate money and food and nothing happens.
Charity isn't and never will be the solution to poverty and hunger, it's overly simplistic, unsustainable, economically non-viable and just straight short-term. Not saying it doesn't have it's uses, but it doesn't solve problems, it alleviates symptoms.
America's poor is better off than much of the world's populations simply because we were able to create a sustainable economic engine and only minute fraction would go hungry. Spending on ice cream, as you callously shunned, not only gives us creamy deliciousness, but puts money back into the economy, creating jobs for the retail worker, the factory worker, the dairy farmer, the marketing professionals, etc etc.

As for investing in a LHC, dedication to scientific curiosity and discovery has provided us with the luxuries and lifestyles we so enjoy today. spinoffs of seemingly unpractical research has saved countless lives. Simply because men and women were unwaveringly curious. And, well, incredibly dedicated and just plain smart. The LHC is created for more than any single purpose and recreating the big bang isn't it's primary. Here, take a peak.
And so what if they were? It just means that it would prove the big bang false, if it is truly "nonsense." We'd have far greater knowledge over subatomic theory, spinoffs to boot, and all the more people have jobs and experience. Unless you, in your great wisdom, would rather come in and tell all those people how to spend their money.
All of this, even ice cream, is going to help people far greater than what you have envisioned.

I'm being harsh, I know. Just look at it as part of the growing-up experience.
Q.E.D.
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:32 pm

CERN has the same number of alpha-numeric symbols as....
Spoiler! :
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:35 pm

JeTSpice wrote:CERN has the same number of alpha-numeric symbols as....
Spoiler! :
Argh. I was Googling to try and find out in what context that might be true, and I wound up at this site:
http://www.williamhenry.net/art_dis-cerning.html

I feel dumber already.

Reminds me of something else I read once...

--clint
""

._Image
Lazarus

Postby Lazarus » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:48 am

HanClinto wrote: Argh. I was Googling to try and find out in what context that might be true, and I wound up at this site:
http://www.williamhenry.net/art_dis-cerning.html
I feel sorry for that guy. :|
CheeseStorm

Postby CheeseStorm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:19 am

From William Henry:
This statement is taken to mean that Jesus knew the secret of the Light Body, which, really is the secret of time travel via wormholes.
Heh, I knew it, the concept of Mecha Clinto was grounded in scripture all along. ROCK SOLID.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:32 am

Psh, only if you can get through the ridiculously hard falling letters.
Q.E.D.
HanClinto
Site Admin

Postby HanClinto » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:37 am

Cheese, I LOL'd. I think that is seriously my favorite quote from that whole page.
""

._Image
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:16 pm

I found one in my backyard and am trying to go into it. if you don't hear back from me, then it worked.
Spoiler! :
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:01 pm

HanClinto wrote:This is another site I like to use to get live status updates on the LHC:
http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/
http://isitchristmas.com/ is another favorite site of similar design.
iTreverend wrote:Why are they even trying to build a machine to imitate the big bang? It's nonsense. Also they were talking about the price of that machine and how much moolah it cost them to build and I guess with the money they invested into it they could feed the world for years. Oh and get this, America alone spends enough on just ice cream that we could pay for the whole world to eat. And instead of helping people we spend our money so foolishly to replicate something scientist are not even sure ever happened. It would be interesting because they are doing more with it than to test the big bang theory but the amount of $$$ they spent on it makes me cringe especially since I been to some poverty places.
Actually, whether you're creationist or evolutionist, the results that the LHC will reveal will benefit everyone, and not just prove or disprove the Big Bang. It may even help us develop a new energy source, that way you can stop spending money for gas in your car and go feed an with that cash orphan if you really want to.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
jestermax

Postby jestermax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:40 pm

LHC is pretty nifty.

Regarding better uses for the cash though; I'm sure there are many but it's always easier to tell other people how to spend their money than manage your own. I'm sure most people have plenty of useless gadgets and entertainment units.
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Smashing and exploding is never a waste of money.
Q.E.D.
Treverend

Postby Treverend » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:43 pm

ArchAngel, it's not only 4.5 billion, thats the cost of the accelerometer alone. The whole thing is 10 billion. And sorry if I prefer feeding the poor and housing the homeless and fighting disease and poverty in 3rd world countries over technology advancement. I wouldn't say that makes me childish though and you go somewhere poor, you will be out of your comfort zone but you wouldn't be talking like that if you had to endure what they go through every single day. And so what if we gave $306 billion, just look how they are living yet, I don't see things improving for them, and look how we're living. My mom only makes 21,000 a year and I feel guilty after going to a poverty place like that. And I can assure you none of that money is going to them. The former Miami Dolphins owner bought an AID's camp I went to and supposedly he spent millions fixing it up and they went back a year later and nothing has changed. So sir, don't tell me to grow up unless you experienced it, and I don't mean for one day. I actually started crying because I felt so bad for them people but yet they were so happy even though they had nothing. And Americans live like kings and we have the highest stress levels and most suicides. Money won't fix their problem but it would be better than spending it on a "big bang" machine. And maybe I sound biased but after I witnessed that I can't change how I feel. It's a life changing thing. And the ice cream thing wasn't my example, I got it from a book I read that some Pastor wrote. And it's pretty sad... that we can even say we want to invest in our economy and create jobs rather than feed dying African children who have no food, and we're worried about jobs? God will provide the jobs and we can trust in Him. But I know manna won't come down from Heaven for them. And ArchAngel, I have nothing against you but you need to stop being so defensive and calling names so soon like saying I'm childish and need to grow up. Say your opinions but you don't have to call names, and ideas are good. It's not that you'll always be right or I'll always be right, it's just a discussion nothing to name call over. You believe what you want and I'll believe what I want but it doesn't make me wrong just because I don't agree with you completely. And I honestly don't own anything except my ipod. I don't have any game system or cameras or cell phone or even a TV because I felt so convicted and I plan to not waste my money on useless things in the future when I move out on my own too. I don't think any of them things are bad but I don't need them really. And all the good shows are being replaced with garbage. I feel like I'm sinning just by watching some of them new shows. And how come I can never say my opinions on here without being shot down and looking like the bad guy? lol I don't like being the odd one out always.

http://blog.taragana.com/science/2009/1 ... epairs-68/
My favorite Bible verse:
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20
PFC

Postby PFC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Arch, I really don't think the reply to Trev's comment was needed, or at least not in that way...

As for giving money to poor people, people often forget that our economy is based on the principle that buying generates demand, demand generates jobs.

If we give money to poor people, they then have the power to buy. If they buy, there is a new demand for whatever they buy. If there is a demand, someone will step in and make a business out of meeting that demand.

Its not an issue of having enough resources to go around. Its an issue of not distributing resources in a proper way. This has many causes, though one of these would be the extremely rich getting richer, at the cost of the poor.

I honestly beleive the LHC is a very interesting experiment, but still totally useless.
The number of variables in the universe means that scientists who want to beleive in a big bang will always have a way to make the facts fit their worldview.

The last time humans made such a large jump in their scientific understanding of matter, we invented the atomic bomb. Sure this later lead to nuclear power plants(and lots of radioactive contamination), but nuclear power plants play a very very very small role in global power generation.

I'm not against science, I truly love learning new things, but at that cost, its just another big toy that the rich people could afford to distract them from the reality of this world.
Lava

Postby Lava » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:34 pm

iTreverend wrote:And Americans live like kings and we have the highest stress levels and most suicides.
Actually we're in debt. It may seem like we're wealthy, but we have a huge debt. So I want to see how much money other governments have given in outreach's, Christian missions, disaster aid and overall charity.

I'm not trying to compare other people's giving. I just think America is the last country to criticize when it comes to charity :)
iTreverend wrote:Money won't fix their problem but it would be better than spending it on a "big bang" machine. And maybe I sound biased but after I witnessed that I can't change how I feel. It's a life changing thing. And the ice cream thing wasn't my example, I got it from a book I read that some Pastor wrote.
I may or may not agree with their use of the machine. But it is their money. What right do you or I have to tell them what do with it? As long as it's not sponsored in anyway by taxpayer dollars I have no right to decide what they should do with the money.

The point of giving is not to completely erase poverty. That goal has wasted too much breath of politicians and too much effort of those with the tools to help.

The point of giving is for it to come from the heart. Even the smallest amount of giving adds to something.

[niv]Matthew 10:41-42[/niv]

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

iTreverend wrote:And it's pretty sad... that we can even say we want to invest in our economy and create jobs rather than feed dying African children who have no food, and we're worried about jobs? God will provide the jobs and we can trust in Him. But I know manna won't come down from Heaven for them.
I see a contradiction here. Why are you trusting God to do one thing, but not another? Not to say I'm against feeding the poor.

Also, with more jobs, just think how much more people will be able to give. Like Arch and PFC said, more jobs means more output. Thus more giving.
Last edited by Lava on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.