The Polarization of America

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
JeTSpice
TALKer!

The Polarization of America

Postby JeTSpice » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Here is an article about a liberal phone company.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... -business/

See? the way things persist, there will be an ever-widening chasm between these two worldviews. (note: it's not dems vs reps; they target moderate dems, too -- anybody who is not liberal) i'm not entertaining vain imaginations. i didn't believe the people who said there would be a one-world government back in the 70's and 80's. but 20 years later, the words "one world government" are on the lips of the kings of the earth.

i don't buy into 2012 -- that would be entertaining a vain imagination. but when the past is extrapolated into the future, and the probability is high that an otherwise unusual event will occur, it needs to be taken seriously.

even the Bible gives reference to these things -- the Christians falling away from the Faith (which is defined in the Word), the one-world government, the non-ability to buy and sell unless you pledge allegiance to a non-God worldview.

using this cell phone service supports abortion. it's not that the company is doing what they want to with their profits. it's that they are declaring up front that if you use their service, you will be supporting their evil causes.

try living two weeks without money.

i'd be an alarmist if i left it at that. The reason God is showing us these things is so that we can prepare for them. We might skate by unscathed, but will our grandchildren? May the Lord speak to you and bless you with wisdom, so that you will know what to do, and what not to do -- what is foolish and what is wise.
PFC

Re: The Polarization of America

Postby PFC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 pm

This is to be expected from any country that allows politics to become a form of highschool popularity contest.

If the people like evil causes, then a good business plan would be to tell them that every dollar they spend on your product will further the evil cause.

So much for "In God We Trust"
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:34 am

the small beginnings of another rift, between the DHS and FBI:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... -security/

DHS is currently under liberal leadership. FBI is not. coupled with giving terrorists and lawbreakers the rights of American citizens (gitmo and illegal aliens), it's not hard to foresee that the next conservative administration will put policies in place to preserve law, and bring justice. this will make the next liberal administration counter-act and given enough time, there will be two countries within these borders -- two ideologies, two systems of communication, two law-enforcements, etc.

more than likely, the words "In God We Trust" will be taken from the dollar and there will be a counter-measure: two currencies.
CapnStank

Postby CapnStank » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:24 am

I'm not going to get in depth or spend time researching this much further but I wanted to point out that both of your sources are Fox News; not an organization with a credible reputation for unbiased and truthful reporting.

Take what you read from them with a grain of salt.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 am

CapnStank wrote:I'm not going to get in depth or spend time researching this much further but I wanted to point out that both of your sources are Fox News; not an organization with a credible reputation for unbiased and truthful reporting.

I second what Capn said.
Matthew Langley
Lead Tool Development Engineer
GarageGames
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 am

What news network is?

Grain of salt? Of course. You should employ critical thinking towards all media.
Dismissal? that would be more faulty than bias.

So, I looked CREDO up myself. They do advertise themselves as a heavily movement-based mobile network company. They say:
[quote="CREDO"]Every year our members help decide where our donations go. They nominate groups to receive funding, and then vote on how much to give each group. CREDO Mobile supports organizations working for social change. Here’s the list of the nonprofit groups we’re funding in 2009:[quote]
The organizations they do donate to are predominately liberal. Much could be due to their location and pr front. I wonder if you could put World Vision up there?
Q.E.D.
Lava

Postby Lava » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:00 am

CapnStank wrote:I'm not going to get in depth or spend time researching this much further but I wanted to point out that both of your sources are Fox News; not an organization with a credible reputation for unbiased and truthful reporting.

Yet you say nothing about CNN, which made Lou Dobbs leave the station (according to his words), who is probably the only one who didn't agree with the rest of station's more opinionated commentators. And let's not forget MSNBC; the pinnacle of bias, a title they earned during the Republican National Convention.

Yet Fox News has those like Juan Williams and Geraldo Riveria. They even used to have Alan Colmes. Sean Hannity constantly has Bob Beckel on his show and will invite many different liberals on too; he may argue with them but he does give them a medium to be heard. Even regular news casters like Shepard Smith have liberal stances; for instance he didn't agree with the G-Bay waterboarding. Essentially I find Fox News to be balanced where I find many of the other stations to not be.

As Arch said, take every station with a grain salt. So I am actually curious as to why you've singled out Fox News.

You haven't posted any contradicting info on Fox's story, and won't even research it yourself. Yet you automatically don't trust it; is that not biased?
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:37 am

Lava wrote:

Yet you say nothing about CNN, which made Lou Dobbs leave the station (according to his words)
Do you have a source for that? I wouldn't be overly surprised since Lou Dobbs expressed quite a bit of racist comments quite often, I personally would have asked him to leave long ago since I can't stand racism. I still believe CNN to be the most objective of them, often they have a democrat and a republican representative when talking about issues. no they aren't perfect, every person on the planet is biased, though I think they come the closest to pushing beyond that.
And let's not forget MSNBC; the pinnacle of bias.
I don't like MSNBC for what you say but they can't hold a candle for Fox (I don't like either though). Fox has done so many things that are deceitfully wrong, like showing a video of a march that was actually a video of another March that happened years earlier, coincidentally the footage they showed had more people than the march they were talking about ;) The Daily Show (a comedy news show lol) had to call them out on that and they apologize, they got corrected by a comedy news show, come on. There creation of sensationalist issues as well is disgusting. All news agencies do this but Fox is by far the worst. The Tea Party would be nothing without Fox, they created them by giving them overwhelmingly biased exposure. People complain about other news agencies (they ironically call all non fox MSM, main stream media, when Fox is the most main stream, very silly) not jumping on stories while Fox dedicated a ridiculous amount of time to the Tea Party (which wasn't all that huge in most gatherings) and they won't do any serious footage of things like gay rights marches that in some cases number larger than most Tea Party ones. The Tea Party would be nothing without Fox and Fox is guilty of basically creating that movement for their own sensationalist news, a news agency should not be "creating" their content for stories and I have seen n o other agency do something so blatant as that.

All news agencies are biased, but none come near to Fox... I'd easily say MSNBC is the second worst and is why I don't watch either.
Yet Fox News has those like Juan Williams and Geraldo Riveria. They even used to have Alan Colmes. Sean Hannity constantly has Bob Beckel on his show and will invite many different liberals on too; he may argue with them but he does give them a medium to be heard. Even regular news casters like Shepard Smith have liberal stances; for instance he didn't agree with the G-Bay waterboarding. Essentially I find Fox News to be balanced where I find many of the other stations to not be.
Fox has to act somewhat like a news agency yes, but their cross conservative to liberal exposure is nothing in comparison to CNN. On top of the mass amount of pure errors (There are a ton of documented horrible mistakes by the likes of O'Riely and others) is horrendous. Yes other news groups make errors but nothing like Fox. They are more entertainment than news which is why their least reliable shows are the most popular, people like to be entertained.
As Arch said, take every station with a grain salt. So I am actually curious as to why you've singled out Fox News.
Because they've deserve it... their bias is not even attempted to be hidden, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qRUAMWIyE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiVasR2 ... 4D&index=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3knq1QLO ... 4D&index=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfy20gFC ... 4D&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twoXZE9U ... 4D&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND88itBf ... 4D&index=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKnbr7n ... 4D&index=5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxDNJ6R ... 4D&index=7

There are plenty more out there.
Matthew Langley
GarageGames
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:53 am

their bias is not even attempted to be hidden, for example:
Isn't that a good thing?

Every time I watch other news networks, I always get annoyed one time or another during the broadcast at their biased dribble.

They're all biased and people are just pissed off because Fox is biased conservatively, whereas other stations are more likely to have their faux pas shoveled under the rug.
Q.E.D.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:02 pm

ArchAngel wrote:
their bias is not even attempted to be hidden, for example:
Isn't that a good thing?

Every time I watch other news networks, I always get annoyed one time or another during the broadcast at their biased dribble.

They're all biased and people are just pissed off because Fox is biased conservatively, whereas other stations are more likely to have their faux pas shoveled under the rug.
It's good if it wasn't denied. They don't hide it but they do deny it, they claim to be objective and balanced, not right-wing propoganda, yet their bias is ridiculous and their errors are many and though they don't hide it they do deny it.
Matthew Langley
GarageGames
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:18 pm

Alright, I'll give you that they claim to be fair and balanced when their not very balanced.
But that's just the difference between a good liar and a poor liar.
Q.E.D.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:31 pm

ArchAngel wrote:Alright, I'll give you that they claim to be fair and balanced when their not very balanced.
But that's just the difference between a good liar and a poor liar.
Well we can agree on that one :) Most of them are bad liars, at Fox especially. I'm not saying other media outlets aren't either, I really can't stand MSNBC either, though I see more bias and more errors from Fox news overall whether or not MSNBC are better liars. Fox being bad liars (by denying as we both agree) turns what could have been a merit, being honest in bias, into incompetence with the same intent of pretending to not be biased.

Honestly if Fox News or MSNBC came out and admitted their bias I would probably have some respect for them. I still like CNN the best since I see more information coming from both sides from them, unfortunately this makes them the least popular since sensationalist bias is entertaining :)
Matthew Langley
GarageGames
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Fair enough. :)

I'll just end with a particularly dear statement of mine:

Everybody is wrong except me.
Q.E.D.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:53 pm

ArchAngel wrote:Fair enough. :)

I'll just end with a particularly dear statement of mine:

Everybody is wrong except me.
haha :) You mean everyone is wrong except me...

An interesting clip on the topic of Fox News bias is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTUpKAu ... D&index=94

This has some clips of an interview of Rush Limbaugh by Fox News where Rush refers to Fox News as a conservatively biased station (in pride not in criticism of course)... I just found that it in context to what we were talking about very appropriate :)
Matthew Langley
GarageGames
ArchAngel

Postby ArchAngel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm

liberalviewer. lol. Sounds like the epitomy of objective journalism.

But, that does sound like something Rush would say. I'd say it too.
Q.E.D.
Lava

Postby Lava » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Matt Langley wrote:Do you have a source for that? I wouldn't be overly surprised since Lou Dobbs expressed quite a bit of racist comments quite often, I personally would have asked him to leave long ago since I can't stand racism.
I can't stand racism either :)

Here is my source:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/d ... zqxDoxbPWI

Warning: I found that site via search engine, so I do not know if it might show other stories that are inappropiate; use at your discretion.

And I would like to see a source on the racist comments Lou has allegedly made.
Matt Langley

Postby Matt Langley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Lava wrote:
Matt Langley wrote:Do you have a source for that? I wouldn't be overly surprised since Lou Dobbs expressed quite a bit of racist comments quite often, I personally would have asked him to leave long ago since I can't stand racism.
I can't stand racism either :)

Here is my source:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/d ... zqxDoxbPWI

Warning: I found that site via search engine, so I do not know if it might show other stories that are inappropiate; use at your discretion.

And I would like to see a source on the racist comments Lou has allegedly made.
Lou Dobbs isn't subtle about his dislike of ethnicities, but he is careful enough with what he says, and not everyone believes he's racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nofy3262 ... B5&index=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAVdBfO ... B5&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GJ6D562Lw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifHdcpljeDY

Racism is a very tricky thing and can also be observed in small ways over a long time (such as Lou Dobbs trying to blame nearly all our problems on Mexicans). There are those that are more overtly racist but Lou Dobbs is definitely a racist in my book. Reverse racism is something I argue strongly against, and the threat of it can unfortunately hide and defend racists who don't cross the line ridiculously, people like Lou Dobbs who in my opinion express blatant racism but in much smaller ways and don't cross the line quite so far are sometimes ignored.
Matthew Langley
GarageGames
JeTSpice
TALKer!

Postby JeTSpice » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 pm

i agree that fox is conservative.

i remember when they first started getting popular and the people i knew were glad that they didn't have to get their news from liberal sources.

statistically, people in the media have a liberal bias and it affects what stories they tell.

and so this proves again my point -- an ever-widening polarization of two ideologies competing within the borders.

again, i'm not an alarmist. i think people should be prepared for the future, and pray to be led by the Holy Spirit. if they don't connect the dots now, they should keep it in mind for when it becomes more clear.
Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:57 am

The web is the biggest cause of this. It allows for very tight ideological communities to exist.

If you only talk with people who believe (for hypothetical example) that global warming is caused by our roofs being black - and want to see them white, that becomes the norm and you view anyone else as crazy. The question is how do you challenge an idea when all the people that are respected by someone have a very narrow view.
CapnStank

Postby CapnStank » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:45 am

Lava wrote:

Yet you say nothing about CNN, which made Lou Dobbs leave the station (according to his words), who is probably the only one who didn't agree with the rest of station's more opinionated commentators. And let's not forget MSNBC; the pinnacle of bias, a title they earned during the Republican National Convention.

You haven't posted any contradicting info on Fox's story, and won't even research it yourself. Yet you automatically don't trust it; is that not biased?
Yeah, my comment got taken wrong; should have been more precise.

I don't want to argue that what Fox reported was truthful or not (why I didn't want to research) I just want to point that his only sources of information were from Fox. As stated any news agency should be questioned before blindly accepting their stories. In my past I've known Fox to be pretty dirty when fishing for facts. I don't have a source for you but I'm sure you've experienced just as many cases where Fox only reports the "interesting" part but leaves out certain facts that can change a story drastically.

My post was simply a disclaimer to those who venture onto this thread whether through membership or a Google result that they need to question the facts presented before accepting them. Essentially this argument is the entire reason why I come to CDN to troll in a nutshell.

By calling out Fox I'm not giving credit to CNN or MSNBC either. ArchAngel's look into the companies website tells more of the story stating that their shareholders govern their donations.

EDIT: Post numba five-oh