Am I really so hard to understand?

New to the forums? Drop by and say hi! Also covers topics not discussed elsewhere.
bugala

Am I really so hard to understand?

Postby bugala » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 am

This is hopefully a fun thing, but I also decided to check wether it is me to be blamed after all.

But thing is, I have so countless times noticed when contacting big corporates support emails that it feels like they dont even read what i write. They just look at what im asking, and then they suppose something and write back making some stupid question that i already answered in the original support message i sent them.

Learning from these experiences, I have started trying to put things very short, instead of very detailed explanations (even they always ask you to be as detailed as possible).

Here comes the latest example with Amazon live chat. The first couple of lines:

- - -
Me:I received a Blu-Ray today, that I havent ordered.

Amazon:Hello. Thank you for using Amazon.co.uk Chat, my name is (name).
(name), I apologise that your order did not arrive on time.
May I have the order number please?
- - -

Now am i really that hard to understand, or was Amazon live chat to be blamed this time?
ArchAngel

Re: Am I really so hard to understand?

Postby ArchAngel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 pm

That's them subtly suggesting to keep and enjoy the free blu-ray.
Q.E.D.
BOwen

Postby BOwen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Well in this instance what you're describing is most likely an automated greeting that everyone gets when someone responds. Keeps them from having to type in the same thing over and over.

It does touch on a problem with a lot of tech support though. Most of home are overworked, underpaid (or over paid in some cases) and have performance reviews based on how many problems they solve.. so they're prone to rush and make assumptions without taking the time to listen properly.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo

http://www.brentowen.com
CPUFreak91

Postby CPUFreak91 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Happens to me a lot. I've found that going through the motions until they're completely confused by what I say helps. Only then do they seem to start listening.
59 6f 75 20 72 65 61 64 20 6d 79 20 73 69 67 6e 61 74 75 72 65 2e 20 47 6f 6f 64 20 66 6f 72 20 79 6f 75 21
Ph0N37Ic5

Postby Ph0N37Ic5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 am

Interesting thing, I work at the other end of this and have the same problem the other way around on a regular basis. Customers calling us that have little interest in hearing the solution to their problem, often restating their problem several times without waiting for a reply.

But, a fair few of the larger companies has sheets of standard fault finding procedures to go through. And quite a number of the people staffing the phones in said companies have stopped thinking for themselves, which is sad.

Communication should be a two way thing of people in both ends, evaluating the whole argument of the other, before forming a reply. Sadly this is becoming rare.

It's not you being hard to understand, it's the other part not focusing on understanding.